BFT #44 CD-1

Durium

Thank you for your time and excellent work!

Not too much guess but want to note few tracks I liked most:4, 5(!), 8

10 - is this Keith Jarreth?

Andrew

Thanks Andrew for your reply.

I'll forward some notes to your suggestions and give some indication for further research !

Track 10 is not Keith Jarreth, but one of our leading Dutch bebop piano players. His last project was a small tour with Bud Shank.

Track 4 has been labeled succesfully by Sidewinder already - it's the Belgian group of Philip Catherine with Bert Joris on trumpet.

Track 5 is played by a group of a very succesfull Dutch alto saxophone player, who wun a great price last year. I heard him in concert, 22nd of January, with his quartet and enjoyed his arrangements.

Track 8 is in fact a more historical record, made by one of the leading Dutch piano players, who died in 1996. It is the first recording under his own name.

Thanks for your commends !

350 x | Keep swinging

Durium

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for your suggestion, King Ubu, while listening to the first 11 tracks of BFT # 44 disc one.

I will give some commends to your posting and some indication to help you and your fellow listmates to search for the right information.

#1 Is this one serious or not? Very groovy! Could be some of these Dutch maniacs in retro mode? The drummer builds a great swing, I love this kind of brushes playing! Bennink? First alto is a bit lazy in execution and the sound fits perfectly with that... second alto is nice, too, and the piano backing is quite nice as well - a great start for this disc!

Well, this band is always a surprise, thanks to the piano player, who is the leader and arranger of the themes. The drummer is not Han Bennink, but for me a rather unknown guy, like the saxophone players. (BTW: alto and tenor). I think I'm happy if someone finds the name of the band or the piano player. In 1997 he won an important Dutch jazz price and this tune was played at that occasion. One of his last projects is a kind of opera, which is complete improvised. Well, I guess enough indication to find the name of the band.

#2 Nice one, no clue who it is...

Well. isn't that cute? This man also made an opera, and in my commend to Magnificent Goldberg I suggested that he is famous ..... up to Qatar.

#3 This one does sound familiar, but I can't pin it down. Ye olde hardbop, but pretty nice, especially the drummer! Playing it again... who the hell could this be? Is it less old than it sounds first? Tenor solo is pretty nice, is this from a Donald Byrd date? The Mobester? It's been quite some time since I played any Byrd... but who'd be on alto? The entry sounds like it could be Jackie Mac, but later the sound and execution gets a bit tamer... Hmm, I suppose I'm making a fool of myself with these comments...

Well you're fishing in the right lake - it's the good old hardbop and in fact Sidewinder found the correct title and band: E.T.A. - Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers - 4 Dec. 1978

#4 I know this tune, but once again I can't pin it down... nice combination, trumpet/guitar/bass/drums. I enjoy both the guitarist's old-fashioned sound (with that slight twang! pretty nice!) and the sound of the trumpet player. I don't know of many trumpet players who worked with this format, Tom Harrell comes to mind, but then I'm not familiar enough with his playing to tell if this is him... but could be.

This track has also been found by Sidewinder. You're right in your suggestion that the guitar player and the trumpet player are the major artists in this quartet. Philip Catherine plays the guitar in the Django Reinhardt tradition, but the real admirerst of this style find Catherine's guitar playing to modern. The trumpet player ( also great on flugelhorn, is Bert Joris. His tone remembers to Chet Baker.Time After Time - Philip Catherine Quartet ( featuring Bert Joris )

#5 Nice ballad. The alto sound is rather pretty, but for my taste a bit inconsistent (changing between pretty full - which I like - and rather etheric and thin - which I don't enjoy... main reason why in 9 of 10 cases I prefer tenor...) Piano solo is nice, a bit flowery in between... all rather old-fashioned, bass and drums mostly staying out of the way, although the drummer does a few fills here and there, and nicely so.

I gave some suggestions in Andrews part for this track: It is played by a group of a very succesfull Dutch alto saxophone player, who wun a great price last year. I heard him in concert, 22nd of January, with his quartet and enjoyed his arrangements. The piano player is living in Paris and studied with Jaki Byard - and that's the main reason that this album was made !!

#6 More alto, a bit beafier, I prefer this one. Jackie Mac influence? I enjoy the alto solo a lot! Good backing by the drummer! Piano is good, too, out of a Tyner bag, a bit?

I heard the alto two times in concert last year - the first time I was not impressed - the second time he played great. He dtarted like so many young musicians at Wynton Marsalis group and he plays all saxophones you can imagine including other wind instruments like flute, oboe, clarinet and bass clarinet. The piano player is a heavyweight in both senses and enjoyed the music of Monk when he was a kid.

#7 Ouch, this almost hurts! Quite a change of style! Not bad in itself, but it doesn't fit here, in my opinion.

I guess you're right !! - I'll tell my nephew !!

#8 This one's nice! The stop-and-go feeling is nice, could be one I ought to be able to identify... Herbie Nichols? Longtime I played his BN material, but the box has recently been added to the listening pile.

I gave some suggestions in my last commend to Andrew: It is in fact a more historical record, made by one of the leading Dutch piano players, who died in 1996. It is the first recording under his own name.

This tune was recorded in the same year as the Blue Note Herbie Nichols recordings: 1956 ( but it isn't Herbie )

#9 Rhythm-A-Ning by Monk, not easy for any pianist to cover Monk, and likely bound to fail, I think... not bad, but nowhere near Monk, sorry.

Well - I don't think this piano player wanted to sound like Monk. When heard this piano player for the very first time in concert, I was astonished about the way he played the piano - sometimes lyrical, sometimes like free jazz, sometimes stride - I'd never heard something before. Originally two of the players are from France and one from the US !!

#10 One of those Bird tunes... "Blues for Alice"? One of the moaners on piano, but a nice solo, sounds at some moments like late Bud Powell. Alto makes a nice, understated entry, pretty cool sound for a hot player... nice one, but I'm clueless once more!

The alto player was already labeled as Herb Geller by Tooter and the title is Cheryl. About the piano player I suggested in Andrews contribution, that he is one of our leading Dutch bebop piano players. His last project was a small tour with Bud Shank.

#11 Another abrupt stylistic change, but this is a fun track, right from the bass-lick and congas to the stacked horns. Trumpet has nice bits! Electric piano fits in well here, too. A pretty enjoyable track!

Sidewinder pointed this one to Antea by the Don Ellis Big Band, live at Bill Graham's Fillmore West in san Francisco, June 1970. I refered to the weird story how I found this recording: Enjoy it

Thanks so far, King Ubu. After diner I'll start with the second part.

350 x | Keep swinging

Durium

Edited by Durium

King Ubu

Part two of disc one:

#12 "What Is This Thing Called Love". A great performance, they're definitely on, whoever they are! Sounds like some old US pros, but in the end the tumpet player says thanks in German, so I don't know... the trumpet player has iron chops, but enough good taste to not just show off - I really like this, it's old-fashioned (a tune played to death, too, I think) but it's very well done!

Well, the trumpet player isn't German at all, but American and he doesn't say thanks in German - that was the piano player, but never mind. You're right that this is a recording of some US profs, but they're not all "old" - let's say ... the youngest one might might be the drummer in his late 20s and the oldest one the bass player 75 years old. I suggested before that this group accompanied a vocalist, but she isn't on stage in this first number in the second set. As she is not audible in this tune I can give her name: Roberta Gambarini. Who are the musicians in her backing group? The tune is of course, like others suggested, What Is This Thing Called Love.

#13 Lee Konitz circumcising "Cherokee" - clear from the first tone that this is Lee! The old man still is in pretty great shape (or at least he has been up to around 2001-2003 or so, I haven't heard much of more recent vintage, and one or two 2005 or 2006 live broadcasts I heard were a bit less exciting, I thought). Is this from the Konitz/Mehldau/Haden "Alone Together" on Blue Note? I have to play those two discs again, long time since I did! Mehldau is pretty restrained, but that suits Lee's dryness quite well, in fact his full-blast romantic side would be totally misplaced!

And of course this is another tune played to death decades ago, but if it's revisited like this, no one cares about that!

(Phew, at least one I could pin down!)

Great - you hit the right info. For me these three musicians are great: Lee Konitz - Brad Mehldau - Charlie Haden.

13. Cherokee ( Ray Noble) 11:00

Lee Konitz – Brad Mehldau – Charlie Haden: Lee Konitz as, Brad Mehldau p, Charlie Haden b - Recorded Los Angeles 21 December 1996 ( Lee Konitz-Brad Mehldau-Charlie Haden – Alone Together ( Blue Note 857150))#14 And a fun closer... "I Want to Be Happy"? :)

You're right - I Want to Be Happy !! But what band accompanies this "Dutch" Spike Jones? And what instrument is he playing?

350 x | Keep swinging

Durium

You're right - I Want to Be Happy !! But what band accompanies this "Dutch" Spike Jones? And what instrument is he playing?

did not listen in as i have had no time and might just have to visit....

but perusing here alllows me to get one right! :g maybe?

Toby Rix and The :D Kollekteif and he's playing this

4070-500-322.jpg

Edited by Man with the Golden Arm

So that's Roy Hargrove? With Ray Brown? Willie Jones III on drums? (#12 I mean)

Roy Hargrove is the trumpet player and of course Willie Jones III on drums. Correct !!

But Ray Brown should have been 77 and my bass player is more a youngster ... 75 years old at this recording !!

Both players passed away recently.

350 x | Keep swinging

Durium

did not listen in as i have had no time and might just have to visit....

but perusing here alllows me to get one right! :g

Toby Rix and The :D Kollekteif and he's playing this

4070-500-322.jpg

Thanks Man with the Golden Arm !! You found it !!

14. I Want To Be Happy ( Vincent Youmans ) 1:23

Willem Breuker Kollektief ( featuring Toby Rix – toeterix ) Recorded live in Krasnapolsky, Amsterdam Dec. 1988 ( Metropolis – Willem Breuker Kollektief (BV Haast CD 8903 ) )

Mind that the picture you posted Toby Rix is from the 1950s. I posted some pictures made during this recording session at my web log.

350 x | Keep swinging

Durium

Picked up Metropolis at a Kollekteif show over a decade back. Recall Willem going out and shining the shoes of audience members during bandmates solos. Those guys put away a great deal of beer!

One of the things I always remembered about that album was that crazy seal instrument ... right down to that guy and his horns' name. I think there might be a photo inside the liners as well.

I found both discs to be highly enjoyable.

Listening to these made me realize (again - as BFTs usually do) how much I DON'T know. I enjoyed it alot....and didn't know WHO I was listening to most of the time.

There weren't many people I recognized (and that's good - that's what this is really about). I got Zoot and I almost :g got Oscar Aleman. I had to compare my Django to realize it wasn't the record I first thought. THEN I figured Aleman.

Thanks Durium..It's a nice set of discs. Not an unintersting track on there.

That's a nice and really swingin' compilation you have put together, and was much fun to listen to. My compliments - and my apologies for posting so late, but my working schedule has been full of unexpedted turns since the year started.

This test shows that the "newcomers" to our blindfold series always are surprising. It's a shame response is not as intensive as usual. What's the reason? BFT fatigue?

Guesses on second or third listen with the usual disclaimers applying.

Track 1: This starts as neo-swing but gets more adventurous by the bar. I'm really curious who that is. Pianist relies a little bit too much on totally outside playing in the beginning of his solo, whereas the saxists negotiate the thin line between in and out stylings more successfully - but that's only a minor complaint. A great starter, making me wonder what might follow.

Track 2: Again no idea. Very engaged modern trio - I haven't enjoyed a track in that vein that much for a long time.

Track 3: Obviously inspired by the "Giant Steps" chord changes - competently played but not my cup of tea. It takes first class players to overcome the technical aspect of navigating the changes. I'd like to hear themdoing a piece less difficult to see what they have to say on a more emotional level. In other words, an interesting band but doing a piece that makes me think: so what?

Track 4: Hmmm .... I'm not enough a guitar freak to recognize any one here. Nice trumpeter, but overall a little too straightforward to sustain my attention.

Track 5: I like the way this altoist handles his ballad. He has an individual voice and does not turn it into a showcase of his chops, which I appreciate very much. No idea who they are, though.

Track 6: Recognized this one from the first drum strokes: Track 1 from this CD. Love this one, and the combination of playes here is great, proving once again that this saxist needs first class company to play his best.

Track 7: Nice jazz-rock band that digs in nicely - I don't listen to this kind of thing much, but like it the way they do it here.

Track 8: I should recognize this - sounds familiar, I may even have this somewhere. Nice drum breaks. These are three players with a lot of experience.

Track 9: Monk's "Rhythm-a-ning", or whatever it is called (this was probably composed by someone else). A liitle too over the top for my taste I'm a conservative when Monk tunes are concerned.

Track 10: A Charlie Parker tune - fluently played, but I like the alto on track 5 better.

Track 11: You need to replace your LP, Hans! There's a CD of this: click here. I'm a big fan of this orchestra,always was. Yeah!

Track 12: They swing hard, and this makes me like it. Good drummer - he's the one who keeps it up!

"What is this thing called love" certainly qualifies as an overplayed standard, in spite of the "Hot House" quote at the end.

Track 13: Lee Konitz, Brad Mehldau, and Charlie Haden? Very original way of doing "Cherokee"!

Track 14: Hahahaaa!!! :D I will buy this! Hey, it's carnival time!

Great selections - again I marvel at the amount of music totally unknkown to me!

Excellent job!

#1 Is this one serious or not? Very groovy! Could be some of these Dutch maniacs in retro mode? The drummer builds a great swing, I love this kind of brushes playing! Bennink? First alto is a bit lazy in execution and the sound fits perfectly with that... second alto is nice, too, and the piano backing is quite nice as well - a great start for this disc!

I had that in mind, too, and Bennink's name popped up ....

Roy Hargrove is the trumpet player and of course Willie Jones III on drums. Correct !!

But Ray Brown should have been 77 and my bass player is more a youngster ... 75 years old at this recording !!

350 x | Keep swinging

Durium

Jimmy Woode played in that band, I think. On piano then Ronnie Matthews?

sorry, not much time to listen, but I might add the name of Michiel Braam and his Bik Bent as a guess for track one and the Pim Jacobs Trio for track 8.

Thanks Couw for your additions.

Tack one is indeed Michiel Braam and his Bik Bent, more complete Bentje Braam as this is a smaller version of his Bik Bent ( =big band). I won't ask you for the title, as it looks like matrix numbers. This is the info. Thanks Couw

Bentje Braam: Frank Gratowski as, Iain Ballamy ts, Michiel Braam p, Wilbert de Joode b, Martin France dm ) Recorded at the Villa VPRO Hilversum (The Netherlands) 21 December 1997

Track 8 is the Pim Jacobs Trio. Correct. It should be for you rather easy to find out the title, personel of his trio and the recording date for this track as it was his first recording ......

350 x | Keep swinging

Durium

First off, many thanks to Durium for the discs/downloads. Very nice music here - and I love the fact that some it's not so serious. :P

I always think that I'm going to get better at this and learn to identify the actual artists involved, but it's not working here and nothing/no one sounds especially identifiable (to me; I'm sure others will peg them right away :lol: ). I'm usually better at identifying tunes, but my brain's not working right today and though a number of these tunes sound very familiar I'm having trouble naming them.

I've been listening to these at work, through my mini computer speakers, but I'm hoping to spin them at home this weekend on the stereo so I'll hopefully be able to add some more insightful commenrs later. Here goes nothin'...

1. Love the raucousness of this one. Feels on the verge of being out-of-control, but that’s what makes it really work for me.

2. Chick Corea trio?

3. Woody Shaw?

4. Tune sounds very familiar; I’m sure I’ll kick myself for having this one somewhere in the collection. Kenny Burrell on guitar?

5. Very nice. I’m detecting a pattern here: really classy, well-played, emotive jazz.

6. Bossa Nova-ish. Love the sax part around 2:30 in.

7. Nothing bad per se, but this one’s not really doing it for me. If I had to pick a least-favorite track this might be it. Though listening again, that guitar solo is tasty.

8. Nice, but no clue.

9. Geez, I’m having brain fart and can’t think of the title of this very familiar tune. Anyway, it’s got a wonderful sense of humor throughout, especially from the pianist (or are there two of them?).

10. Konitz?

11. More funk than jazz to my ears, but that’s cool.

12. “What is this Thing…” Nice boppish version, but really nothing too unique. Distortion (LP? Bootleg?) gets in the way a bit.

13. Another familiar tune. I like this a lot as well. Very loose playing – it lets everyone stretch out and say their thing.

14. Are we at the circus? ;) Lots o’ fun!

Picked up Metropolis at a Kollekteif show over a decade back. Recall Willem going out and shining the shoes of audience members during bandmates solos. Those guys put away a great deal of beer!

One of the things I always remembered about that album was that crazy seal instrument ... right down to that guy and his horns' name. I think there might be a photo inside the liners as well.

Breuker01.jpeg

Visiting the Willem Breuker Kollektief is always a party. Can you imagine that I started to love jazz music, by visiting the concerts of the ICP in the 1960s with Willem Breuker and Han Bennink, where they made their experimental music ?

Willem Breuker Kollektief + Toby Rix

One year online | Keep swinging

Durium

Edited by Durium

I found both discs to be highly enjoyable.

Listening to these made me realize (again - as BFTs usually do) how much I DON'T know. I enjoyed it alot....and didn't know WHO I was listening to most of the time.

There weren't many people I recognized (and that's good - that's what this is really about). I got Zoot and I almost :g got Oscar Aleman. I had to compare my Django to realize it wasn't the record I first thought. THEN I figured Aleman.

Thanks Durium..It's a nice set of discs. Not an unintersting track on there.

Thanks Harold for your repons. I posted a rare fragment where you can hear and see Oscar Aleman play the guitar in one of his films. Enjoy it.

Oscar Aleman in El Idolo del Tango

Durium

Edited by Durium

Thanks Mikeweil for your contribution. I'm glad you found time to listen to it and it feels good to learn that you liked it.

I'm not going to discuss the tracks already traced by fellow list members, but I will post remarks at those commends that are interesting to help finding the right information. Due to the fact that I have to do some shopping I won't discuss your list in one session - hope you don't mind. - I'll be back soon !

Track 1: This starts as neo-swing but gets more adventurous by the bar. I'm really curious who that is. Pianist relies a little bit too much on totally outside playing in the beginning of his solo, whereas the saxists negotiate the thin line between in and out stylings more successfully - but that's only a minor complaint. A great starter, making me wonder what might follow.

This track has been traced by Couw before. It's a Dutch band based around a skilled piano player, composer and arranger, Michiel Braam. I never heard him alive - what a shame !

1. 2KB01 ( Braam)( 5:22)

Bentje Braam: Frank Gratowski as, Iain Ballamy ts, Michiel Braam p, Wilbert de Joode b, Martin France dm ) Recorded at the Villa VPRO Hilversum (The Netherlands) 21 December 1997

Track 2: Again no idea. Very engaged modern trio - I haven't enjoyed a track in that vein that much for a long time.

This piano player is working on an international career.

Track 3: Obviously inspired by the "Giant Steps" chord changes - competently played but not my cup of tea. It takes first class players to overcome the technical aspect of navigating the changes. I'd like to hear themdoing a piece less difficult to see what they have to say on a more emotional level. In other words, an interesting band but doing a piece that makes me think: so what?

Whow ..... Art would have loved your compliment. This band was already traced by Sidewinder as:

3. E.T.A. ( nn ) ( 4:54 )

Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers: Art Blakey dm, Valery Ponomarev tp, Robert Watson as, David Schnitter ts, James Williams p, Dennis Irwin b. Recorded NYC, 4 Dec. 1978 ( Timeless CD SJP 319 )

Track 4: Hmmm .... I'm not enough a guitar freak to recognize any one here. Nice trumpeter, but overall a little too straightforward to sustain my attention.

Traced by Sidewinder:

4. Time After Time ( Sammy Cahn / Jule Styne ) ( 3:06 )

Philip Catherine Quartet: Philip Catherine g, Philippe Aerts b, Joost van Schaik dm, Bert Joris tp flh ) Recorded 29 May 2002 ( Philip Catherine – Summer Night ( FDM 36637 )

Track 5: I like the way this altoist handles his ballad. He has an individual voice and does not turn it into a showcase of his chops, which I appreciate very much. No idea who they are, though.

I heard this man last month and he really is a great alto saxophone player !!

Track 6: Recognized this one from the first drum strokes: Track 1 from this CD. Love this one, and the combination of playes here is great, proving once again that this saxist needs first class company to play his best.

Great, Mike. I fully agree that tnis is a great combination. I heard both James Carter as Cyrus Chestnut in concert, although not together in the same concert, and both fascinated me. Here's the info:

6. Miss Thing (Cyrus Chestnut) (5:05)

Cyrus Chestnut Quartet: James Carter as, Cyrus Chestnut p, Ron Carter b, Billy Higgins dm. Recorded ca. 1997. ( Cyrus Chestnut ( Atlantic 7567-83140 ))

Track 7: Nice jazz-rock band that digs in nicely - I don't listen to this kind of thing much, but like it the way they do it here.

I'll tell my nephew !! - he'll like your commends

I'll be back soon .....................

Durium

Sorry to be so late to the party. Things have been busy here.

The usual thanks and disclaimers apply.

TRACK ONE - Interesting. At first I didn't think I was going to like it, as it had an air of "cuteness" to it that never really left. I really don't like cuteness. But as the solos went on, it got better for me and cute turned into fun, which I do like. The tenorist seems to be caught between Warnedom & someplace else, but the altoist speaks confidently all the way through. Pianist's comping is ok to listen to, but I'd hate to have him playing behind me. Too much "direction", but maybe it's his group, in which case he's entitled. One thing I really like is the recording quality, very live and natural sounding, with a sense of getting the sound from all angles of the room instead of just the ones in front. A live recording should have that quality, but not all of 'em do.

TRACK TWO - What the drummer is playing at the beginning is the type of thing that's now being done in the more "advanced" forms of dance music of today, as is, to a lesser extent, the main melody of the piece. So that caught my ear right away. The piece as a whole, though, seems to be a third or fourth generation "Now He Sings..." type thing, and as such, hey, it's been done, and done quite well. But everybody plays well and sounds sincere. I just can't get excited about it, but that's my problem.

TRACK THREE - Geez, I think I have this one. Sure sounds familiar. Either a latter-day Blakey thing

or one of the various knockoffs/spinoffs. Of course, the changes are those of "Lazy Bird", some really fine changes to hear, and some really tough ones to blow on. It's good, but again, it's all been done, and with more immediacy. But as a display of honest craftsmanship, this is as good as anything. I kinda like the pianist, he seems to be telling a story more than do the horn players.

TRACK FOUR - "Time after Time", one of my favorite standards. Sounds like it might be Chet, but I'll not commit to that. Guitarist is playing! Nice, but a little short to make too much of a really impactful statement. Pleasant enough, though, and the type of thing you like to hear on the radis.

TRACK FIVE - What a nice tune! Sounds like a Los Angeles altoist, based on tone & articulation, but I can't make any guesses. Frank Strozier also comes to mind, but the tone's a little too broad for him. Nice, even if they get deeper into the mechanics of the tune than the emotions of it. That's understandable enough when a tune is this nice.

TRACK SIX - These players sound really familiar. Leo Wright on alto? Drummer's really copped his Blakey. Don't at all like how the altoist is pulled back in the mix relative to the rhythm section. Sounds like it might be the same pianist as on the previous cut, that florid, two-handed approach. Again, pleasant.

TRACK SEVEN - No clue, but I like the idea of it! :g

TRACK EIGHT - Vintage, I'm sure, not a revisitation. Sounds like a Horace trio cut. Definitely somebody influenced by Horace, and in the same time period. There's nuances in this that guys who come along years later just can't do, because one is an original expression and the other's "playing a style". My preference is for the former, and this cut works for me just fine.

TRACK NINE - "Rhythm-a-ning". Too much cuteness (and "smart" cuteness at that) in there for me. Sorry.

TRACK TEN - "Cheryl", one of my favorite Bird blues heads. Hell, the head itself is enough to digest at a single sitting! Pianist is deep into the bebop vernacular. Altoist again suggest Leo Wright, at least in tone. Fine playing by all concerned.

TRACK ELEVEN - Ok, this one I know. Don Ellis at the Filmore. Don't remember the tile of the composition, though. I think there might be more to get out of Ellis' music than he himself always got out it. I'd like to hear what he would do in the environment of today's underground dance music, because in this cut (and many others), I hear ideas about the function & distribution of rhythm that are being used today in that scen. Of course, that shit's all in 4/4... :g But this one flows naturally, and yeah, I think you could, maybe even should, dance to it. That was the thing about Ellis' best bands, they had played the shit long enough to where the "odd meters" came naturally to them, and they could get past the level of just making sure they played the charts right. Much love for that from me, and these days I really like the notion of rhythm being something to viscerally feel, something you gotta confront and not just sit down, lay back, and take for granted.

TRACK TWELVE - It's not a "thing"! Sounds like that Thad/Mel quartet thing recorded at an airport lounge in Florida. Yeah, Thad was a motherfucker as a player. That's still not as widely recognized as it shoud be, imo. And Mel, what a driver he was! But wait, you don't say thank you in German in Florida, at least not as a rule... So hell, I don't know. Maybe it's not Thad. The more I liste, it's probably not. Oh well. But it's a keeper whoever it is, my favorite of this disc. And Thad was a motherfucker as a player.

TRACK THIRTEEN - Ok, that's Lee doing "Cherokee" w/Haden & Mehldau on BN. Those two sides were both gems, especially the ballads. Lee don't play licks (well, he does, but you know what I mean - his playing is not based on them), Lee plays music. Sometimes it works better than others, but them's the risks you take to be real. Like I said, I like the ballads from these albums the best, but this is still love-Lee! :g

TRACK FOURTEEN - Oh my! If they want to be happy, I can only wonder what condition they're in now... ;)

Much thanks to Durium for a collection that provided little of familiarity and much of quailty!

I'm back, Mikeweil to discuss the second part of your commends:

Track 8: I should recognize this - sounds familiar, I may even have this somewhere. Nice drum breaks. These are three players with a lot of experience.

Couw already found out that this is the Trio Pim Jacobs, a Dutch group, but without further information.

Track 9: Monk's "Rhythm-a-ning", or whatever it is called (this was probably composed by someone else). A liitle too over the top for my taste I'm a conservative when Monk tunes are concerned.

It's a remarkable piano player - French now living in New York.

Track 10: A Charlie Parker tune - fluently played, but I like the alto on track 5 better.

The alto player has been labeled by Tooter as Herb Geller and the tune is Cheryl. It's remarkable that everyone loves the style of the piano player, but no-one can label him !! He's Dutch and famous because of his numerous tours with American veterans.

Track 11: You need to replace your LP, Hans! There's a CD of this: click here. I'm a big fan of this orchestra,always was. Yeah!

Yes I know that this tune is on CD, but I took this vinyl version because of the story behind it ( Don Ellis at Fillmore)

Track 12: They swing hard, and this makes me like it. Good drummer - he's the one who keeps it up!

"What is this thing called love" certainly qualifies as an overplayed standard, in spite of the "Hot House" quote at the end.

I gave a lot of indication so-far. It's the backing group of Roberta Gambarini , the charming Italian - American vocalist ( no part in this track ), Roy Hargrove is the trumpet player and Willie Jones III the drummer. The veteran bass player, then 75 years old, was NOT Ray Brown ........

Track 13: Lee Konitz, Brad Mehldau, and Charlie Haden? Very original way of doing "Cherokee"!

A great trio.

13. Cherokee ( Ray Noble) 11:00

Lee Konitz – Brad Mehldau – Charlie Haden: Lee Konitz as, Brad Mehldau p, Charlie Haden b - Recorded Los Angeles 21 December 1996 ( Lee Konitz-Brad Mehldau-Charlie Haden – Alone Together ( Blue Note 857150))

Track 14: Hahahaaa!!! :D I will buy this! Hey, it's carnival time!

One of those numerous jazzy vaudeville Spike Jones-like arrangements of a succesfull band.

14. I Want To Be Happy ( Vincent Youmans ) 1:23

Willem Breuker Kollektief ( featuring Toby Rix – toeterix ) Recorded live in Krasnapolsky, Amsterdam Dec. 1988 ( Metropolis – Willem Breuker Kollektief (BV Haast CD 8903 ) )

I'll be back with my commends to the second CD later today.

Durium

350 x | Keep swinging

Durium

seems you missed this?

350 x | Keep swinging

Durium

Great King Ubu, but the piano player is not Ronnie Matthews, but David Gazarov, both playing in the same style - so i can imagine that you mixed up both piano players. Gazarov is the speaker ......

It's from a airshot of the Swiss radio from the International Jazz Festival in Bern. I heard this vocalist and band in the Porgy en Bess Jazz club in Terneuzen ( The Netherlands) ( my club) and was fascinated by the singing of Roberta Gambarini and I posted a message on internet that I had learned that to my utter amazement Roberta Gambarina had never made a recording, although she was active as a jazz vocalist in Italy and the US for years. Thanks to a Swiss collector ( was it you? :blush: ) I got this airshot. And of course it felt as an honor to be in the same room as Jimmy Woode, the humble bassplayer who played with all great stars of the 1950s, from Sidney Bechet, Duke Ellington, Billie Holiday up to Sarah Vaughan, Ella Fitzgerald and Johnny Hodges.

BTW: Roberta Gambarini recently made some albums !!

This is the info for this track:

12. What Is This Thing Called Love ( Porter ) 9:18

Roberta Gambarini All Star Quintet: ( Roberta Gambarini vo – not on this track), Roy Hargrove tp, David Gazarov p, Jimmy Woode b, Willie Jones III. Recorded at the International Jazz festival Bern (Switzerland), 24 April 2003 ( radio program)

Durium