What records disappointed your expectations?

After reading all the accolades for Trio Beyond/Saudade, I couldn't have been more disappointed at this limp, uninspired and utterly boring recording. Not a single track did I want to hear twice.

Uh... did you have the volume up? ;)

Have to disagree with "limp, uninspired, and utterly boring", but different strokes. I think this is a great performance, and it gets better every time I play it. I think even people who don't care much for Scofield would be impressed with his playing on this.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After reading all the accolades for Trio Beyond/Saudade, I couldn't have been more disappointed at this limp, uninspired and utterly boring recording. Not a single track did I want to hear twice.

Have to disagree with "limp, uninspired, and utterly boring", but different strokes. I think this is a great performance, and it gets better every time I play it. I think even people who don't care much for Scofield would be impressed with his playing on this.

i second the notion

wes montgomery and jimmy smith with arrangements by oliver nelson

At their worst, I think those sides are cheesy as all hell; when they come off, though, I think they're pretty galvanizing (like the Further Adventures... version of "Round Midnight"--which, getting past the more jarring elements, is a pretty powerful arrangement, IMO). Then again, I think the better sides from those sessions might be the small group recordings...

(re: Monk + Dolphy)--indeed.

Actually, I normally like Scofield quite a bit--I've seen him live many times over the years. I love Jack DeJohnette (when he's not playing with Keith Jarrett, anyway). Oh well.

Guest the mommy

goldings/dejohnette/scofield calling themselves "trio beyond" and then trying to cop some inspiration from lifetime and releasing it on ECM sounds like a crappy and kind of commercial idea to me. maybe that's just me, though.

guye-i have heard many shorter fans speak less than glowingly about "speak no evil". i kind of feel that way about "song for my father" and "maiden voyage" which you mention but i think this is probably due to their lofty status. i just wouldn't rank either among either guys top BNs.

"Diminuendo and Crescendo in Blue" from "Ellington at Newport." I love Paul Gonsalves in other settings, and I admire the piece itself, but IMO those fabled 27 (or whatever) choruses are mostly a lot of huffing and puffing. Maybe if the album came with an inflatable version of the blonde who got up and started dancing.

goldings/dejohnette/scofield calling themselves "trio beyond" and then trying to cop some inspiration from lifetime and releasing it on ECM sounds like a crappy and kind of commercial idea to me. maybe that's just me, though.

OK fair enough, but have heard the album? IMO it really is quite inspired, and there's nothing even remotely commercial about the music.

guye-i have heard many shorter fans speak less than glowingly about "speak no evil". i kind of feel that way about "song for my father" and "maiden voyage" which you mention but i think this is probably due to their lofty status. i just wouldn't rank either among either guys top BNs.

I still think Maiden Voyage is sort of a disappointment, if only because those cats could really come unhinged of they wanted to (but didn't there--and those compositions demand some stretching out). Some may disagree with me, but I actually like the VSOP versions of some of those tunes a lot better (total lack of subtlety and all).

'the empty foxhole' with ornette, charlie, and denardo disappointed.

(isnt it something to comment that one is disappointed with a 4 year old drummer?)

Received an advance copy before release and was delighted. I admit it was largely because it was a new Ornette, but it took me a month to calm down. Ornette's sound is wonderful and that's what I focused on. Denny seemed to inspire OC, so it worked for me. When I listen now I can't erase the old impressions.

(isnt it something to comment that one is disappointed with a 4 year old drummer?)

Received an advance copy before release and was delighted. I admit it was largely because it was a new Ornette, but it took me a month to calm down. Ornette's sound is wonderful and that's what I focused on. Denny seemed to inspire OC, so it worked for me. When I listen now I can't erase the old impressions.

havent heard it for awhile. i must revisit.

havent heard it for awhile. i must revisit.

Yes, revisit your old impressions. Enjoy!

"Diminuendo and Crescendo in Blue" from "Ellington at Newport." I love Paul Gonsalves in other settings, and I admire the piece itself, but IMO those fabled 27 (or whatever) choruses are mostly a lot of huffing and puffing. Maybe if the album came with an inflatable version of the blonde who got up and started dancing.

You know, I had that on vinyl and I loved the original version of it because Gonsalves was playing into the wrong mic and throughout most of the solo what you mostly heard was the crowd going crazy while just barely being able to make out what Gonsalves was doing.

But they really screwed it all up with the "complete" cd release because now you mostly hear Gonsalves while barely even hearing the crowd. The original version had more of a goosebumpy quality to it.

Not to mention the incredibly irritating aspect of the "complete" cd moving in and out of stereo throughout. It's especially frustrating when listening to it through headphones.