LF: early Japanese jazz CDs

J.A.W.

I've tried it here before without much success, so I thought I'd try again...

I'm looking for the early Japanese jazz CDs listed below in VG+ or better condition.

Credit-card-funded PayPal is my only payment option.

Please PM me if you're selling any or know where I can get them. Thanks

Jim Hall/Modest Jazz Trio – Good Friday Blues - Toshiba TOCJ-5424

Miles Davis – 'Round About Midnight – CBS/Sony 32DP-510

Miles Davis – Four and More – CBS/Sony 35DP-66

Miles Davis – Nefertiti – CBS/Sony 32DP-726

John Coltrane – The Complete Africa Brass – 2CD, Impulse! MVCI-23010~11

John Coltrane – Coltrane – Impulse! MVCI-23012

John Coltrane – Live at Birdland – Impulse! MVCI-23013

John Coltrane – Crescent – Impulse! MVCI-23014

John Coltrane – Selflessness – Impulse! MVCI-23091

John Coltrane – Interstellar Space – Impulse! MVCI-23063

Gil Evans – Out of the Cool – Impulse! MVCI-23032

Charles Mingus – The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady – Impulse! MVCI-23050

Edited by J.A.W.

Obviously a connoisseur of early Japanese transfers. :huh:

Some of the earlier CDs from Japan sound pretty good. Many are flat transfers of the master with no EQ and almost all of them were mastered at a much lower level than anything done later.

In this list, I could see wanting to check out the old Impulse! CDs but those old Columbia/CBS/Sony Miles discs? Yuck. Older CBS masterings almost always sound harsh & tinny to me.

Some of the earlier CDs from Japan sound pretty good. Many are flat transfers of the master with no EQ and almost all of them were mastered at a much lower level than anything done later.

In this list, I could see wanting to check out the old Impulse! CDs but those old Columbia/CBS/Sony Miles discs? Yuck. Older CBS masterings almost always sound harsh & tinny to me.

I have several of those CBS/Sony 35DP and 32DP Miles Davis CDs and they don't sound harsh and tinny to me. The current Mark Wilder remasters do, at least they sound harsh en "pinched" to me.

Edited by J.A.W.

I have several of those CBS/Sony 35DP and 32DP Miles Davis CDs and they don't sound harsh and tinny to me. The current Mark Wilder remasters do, at least they sound harsh en "pinched" to me.

Many, if not all of those first Japanese CBS/Sony CD pressings had pre-emphasis, which made them sound harsh and top-heavy on systems that couldn't handle pre-emphasis.

Edited by J.A.W.

same with me - have about 25 miles davis cds from this series and they sound superb to me.

Edited by jbs-tom