Taiyo Yuden CD-Rs

Hot Ptah

Other than possibly Mitsui, TY manufactured discs are often considered the best. They are actually not as difficult to locate as you may think. Several on line retailers sell them, and you can often find TY manufactured discs with different brand names on them such as Fujifilm and Maxell Pro. Just make sure they say manufactured in Japan and they will be TY discs - the same disc as if you purchased unbranded TY discs.

Other than possibly Mitsui, TY manufactured discs are often considered the best. They are actually not as difficult to locate as you may think. Several on line retailers sell them, and you can often find TY manufactured discs with different brand names on them such as Fujifilm and Maxell Pro. Just make sure they say manufactured in Japan and they will be TY discs - the same disc as if you purchased unbranded TY discs.

That is very helpful, thanks.

More than once I was told that CD-Rs with a black downside surface are better than others - more durable, less susceptible to clicks and glitches, more readily accepted by different players and so on. Anyone else out there besides myself who uses them?

More than once I was told that CD-Rs with a black downside surface are better than others - more durable, less susceptible to clicks and glitches, more readily accepted by different players and so on. Anyone else out there besides myself who uses them?

My LiteOn drives have problems with them.

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/lofive...php/t35502.html

• 1 year later...

taiyo yuden cd-rs are what i use. i've never had any problems with them. i get mine at american-digital

Thanks so much for the recommendation. I'm digitizing my vinyl collection, and after a particularly bad batch of TDK CD-Rs, I remembered this thread. I ordered the Taiyo Yudens from American Digital, they arrived the next day, and the first two I've burned have been flawless. It looks like my CD recorder just likes these discs more than the TDKs.

• 4 years later...

I've been buying Taiyo Yuden CDRs from Runtech Media (thanks to this thread) for a number of years now. I use them in my Mac, and I've also used them, somewhat to my surprise, in my JVC CD burner — "surprise" because, in all my experience with it, this component will only recognize "Music" CDRs. (I've never really understood the difference between "music" CDRs and "data" CDRs. Is it some sort of copy protection encoding?)

Here's my question/situation — after years of having Taiyo Yuden CDRs being recognized (and burnable) by my JVC unit, my last two spindles haven't been recognized by my burner. The error message I get is: No Audio Disc. Has Taiyo Yuden modified their CDRs? My JVC unit seems to be fine — its playback doesn't yield any problems — but I suppose something might be up.

Has anyone else here run into a similar situation? I'd like to keep purchasing TYs, but I suppose I'll have to move over to some brand of "music" CDR if my JVC unit can't use TYs.

Thanks for any suggestions/thoughts/advice!

Music cdrs have some sort of difference, probably a menu code, that allows stand alone consumer component burners to use them; these can't use the data discs. They don't have copy protection, and apparently a small portion of each sale goes to compensate record labels and musicians. What are the chances that is administered properly?

I haven't been doing much burning at all and just get Sony or Maxell blands for the drugstore or office supply store now. Haven't encountered many problems.

Here's my question/situation — after years of having Taiyo Yuden CDRs being recognized (and burnable) by my JVC unit, my last two spindles haven't been recognized by my burner. The error message I get is: No Audio Disc. Has Taiyo Yuden modified their CDRs? My JVC unit seems to be fine — its playback doesn't yield any problems — but I suppose something might be up.

Has anyone else here run into a similar situation? I'd like to keep purchasing TYs, but I suppose I'll have to move over to some brand of "music" CDR if my JVC unit can't use TYs.

Thanks for any suggestions/thoughts/advice!

The drive in your JVC could be on its last legs. What you describe is the usual pattern I've experienced with several CD/DVD drives in computers - eventually due to age and use they can start to have problems recognizing/burning blank discs, but will still play discs OK. I've had a couple that progressed to the next step of finally refusing to play discs as well. I think this is typically due to the laser pickup in the drive wearing out. They have a finite lifespan.