Alice Coltrane recommendations?

riverrat

I recently heard a story on Alice Coltrane on NPR, put together in remembrance after she passed away recently.

They played some clips of her music- I've never listened to anything by her, but I liked what little I heard on the NPR piece.

I had always assumed that since the spacey titles of many of her releases were similar to those of husband John's later stuff, that the music would be similar as well.

I am NOT a big fan of late period John Coltrane. I'm not qualified to judge the technical merit, which I've read is pretty incredible, but I find most of his completely free, wild stuff almost unlistenable. So I didn't bother to check out any of Alice's stuff.

In addition to jazz, I listen to a lot of "world" music- I mostly prefer the more organic, less produced and poppy stuff. I also tend to like stuff that sounds like a world music/jazz hybrid.

Sooo, I guess I need to get to know Alice's work! I ordered the Japanese version of "Journey in Satchidananda" from Amazon for a start.

Where should I go from there?

Ptah the El Daoud is really good. It features both Joe Henderson and Pharoah Sanders in the front line, and is much more "inside" than Coltrane's late work (though not without "outside" moments).

I haven't really "gotten" Journey in Satchidananda (it's nice and all), but apparently I'm a minority on that one. Since you like world music, you might like this one more than I do.

I haven't heard any of her other work as a leader.

Guy

Edited by Guy

Guest the mommy

i like "huntington ashram monastery" the best and it is even more "in" than "ptah the dude" is. but not boring or straight. it's a trio w. ron carter and rashied ali.

Edited by the mommy

With you on the string albums. Universal Consciousness (featuring Ornette arrangements) is another one along the lines of World Galaxy--stylistically diverse, but not disunified. There are some dire duets with Rashied Ali (showcasing just how well Alice had integrated her husband's harmonic sensibility into her lines--quite a nice parallel to Interstellar Space), as well as some powerful ensemble spots (Leroy Jenkins is in the mix, and his contributions--confident and warm--are key).

Another note on World Galaxy, though--Frank Lowe is tough on that one (sounds like some wacky editing, but he just erupts in spots at full wail). Also of note is the backbeat rendition of A Love Supreme, which is surely one of the more original renditions in my memory. Alice had the juice.

Yeah, I didn't think the strings would be what riverrat was looking for at all.

While we're talking about World Galaxy, I hear tape manipulation being used in the arrangements. Am I crazy? I should listen to this album this week. I remember there being tape manipulation that made the string arrangements sound even more wild.

I think you're right, .:.. There's at least some pretty obvious post-production going on, which at least acts in service of the music. I'll have to listen again for specific effects (anything you have in mind?).

Also--yeah, reading riverrat's earlier post, you're right. I'll second the recommendations for A Monastic Trio, which is very free-groovy in the best possible way. Alice gets some meaty hits in there like I've heard nowhere else.

You're right- I don't think a session with strings is where I want to start, but I always enjoy seeing where a threads goes. Who cares what the original point was!

And who knows, maybe Alice will expand my mind to the point where a string session will work for me...

I think her harp playing really adds something special to this already fine date...

f54092fpurw.jpg

Extensions

Yes!

Guy

Agreed. Made my list of 10 best Blue Notes ever, and she was vital to it's greatness. She also adds much to Joe Henderson - The Elements, and of the sessions she led I recommend 'A Monastic Trio', "Ptah The El Dauoud', 'Journey in Satchidananda', and to a lesser extent 'Transfiguration'. 'Huntington Ashran Monastery' is nice, but will set you back $30 or more for the CD, and you will get the idea from the other sets noted here. I don't particularly like her orchestrated sets, much prefer her smaller group works. In addition to her vision and composing, she was an excellent PLAYER on both piano and harp. I haven't heard 'Translinear Light' yet, it also sounds like a good one.

You're right- I don't think a session with strings is where I want to start, but I always enjoy seeing where a threads goes. Who cares what the original point was!

And who knows, maybe Alice will expand my mind to the point where a string session will work for me...

I only know Lord of Lords, but that's not at all a standard "Jazz with strings" session. I mean it's more like orchestral classical music, maybe late 19th C, in vibe and effect. It is supposed to evoke God (I guess) which explains its scale and grandiosity. "Baroque" is the word that springs to mind. I heard that when I first came into Jazz, along with Journey in Satchidananda - and found it works, though not for everyone, I'm sure.

I don't think any of AC's work should frighten you. It's not really out. Ptah is the recommended classic, strongish, structured. JiS is a lovely session, glowing harp work integrated into modestly avant setting with strong compositions.

Not just a pianist.

Simon Weil

[if anyone's interested, the scale of Lord of Lords seems to fit with the awesome thing in John C's music and, ultimately, his conception of "OM". Kind of a connection between husband and wife.]

Edited by Simon Weil

I think her harp playing really adds something special to this already fine date...

f54092fpurw.jpg

Extensions

I'm in remission on CD buying, but when I pick one up these days I tend to try and find the Japanese version.

So far, I have not found a Japanese version of this CD. I'm sure they have to exist. Any opinons concerning the best sounding version of this session?

I'm in remission on CD buying, but when I pick one up these days I tend to try and find the Japanese version.

So far, I have not found a Japanese version of this CD. I'm sure they have to exist. Any opinons concerning the best sounding version of this session?

You might want to wait until the McCoy Tyner Mosaic Select is released in the coming week(s?) as this album will be included. :)