fletecher henerson, c. 1923

chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez

i have the complete blubird and a lot of the columbia 78s from the 30s but i saw an lp of this earlier stuff....is it real different than what i already have? woud you say i should go buy it? yea yea i know u guys say to buy everything n all, but use a little discretion, lol- i do love fletcher h. but was wondering whats up w/ this early stuff, not a lot of it had bean machine on it but one of the songs has him on bass sax!

It would help a lot if you could give a bit more info on title, label, etc.

Numerous compilations on early to mid-20s Henderson have been reissued in the past 20 years, some overlap with others, some don't. So ....

Anyway ... ANY jazz band from c. 1923 is likely to sound VERY different from its mid-30s version, even if it's the same leader. Not only stylistically but also due to the recording technology. Generally the switch from acoustic to electrical recording occurred around 1925 and that changed the sound of a lot of bands.

why didnt they have elec. recordings then? they had elec. in 1923.....

Electric recording started in 1925. The Louis Armstrong Hot Five sessions were among the first to benefit from electrical recordings.

About any Sun Ra with Fletcher Henderson recordings, John L. is right. Unfortunately.

The Sun Ra discography by Robert L. Campbell does not include any session with Fletcher Henderson!

Electric recording started in 1925. The Louis Armstrong Hot Five sessions were among the first to benefit from electrical recordings.

About any Sun Ra with Fletcher Henderson recordings, John L. is right. Unfortunately.

The Sun Ra discography by Robert L. Campbell does not include any session with Fletcher Henderson!

I believe electric recording may have begun with the invention of the microphone.

Walter C. Allen's Henderson discography also addresses the issue of Ra w/ Henderson, and states that there are no known recordings.

I believe electric recording may have begun with the invention of the microphone.

FYI: http://www.mainspringpress.com/marsh_electric.html