organissimo at the Philadelphia Museum of Art THIS FRIDAY!!&#3

Ron S

Up for any stragglers--we know you're out there! :ph34r:

So who else is gonna be there? :w

Let's see how much sleep I get tonight and how I feel on Friday. I'd really like to go.

:tup It'd be great to finally meet you (and see if you really exist :P ).

:rfr

Life would be a hell of a lot easier if I didn't exist.

Nice to see Ron and Alan again and meet Chalupa (Kirby) and the band. Organissimo played a nice first set and then caught fire in the second set. Highlights for me were all from the second set, and I will need help from the faithful on the titles of the first two: The song which M.Brecker/Metheny/Elvin did, the Bill Heid piece, "Tenderly", and "Jimmy Smith Goes to Washington". The last one was a fitting tribute to Smith, and to Philly, the B-3 capitol of the world, the city that brought you three monster of the instrument: Jimmy Smith, Charles Earland, Joey DeFrancesco, and others (like Trudy Pitts, Shirley Scott, etc.). Jim especially was on fire on some of these second set gems. His solo on "Jimmy Smith..." was jaw-dropping. The whole group burned when they were at their best. Wonderful evening.

Nice to see Ron and Alan again and meet Chalupa (Kirby) and the band. Organissimo played a nice first set and then caught fire in the second set. Highlights for me were all from the second set, and I will need help from the faithful on the titles of the first two: The song which M.Brecker/Metheny/Elvin did, the Bill Heid piece, "Tenderly", and "Jimmy Smith Goes to Washington". The last one was a fitting tribute to Smith, and to Philly, the B-3 capitol of the world, the city that brought you three monster of the instrument: Jimmy Smith, Charles Earland, Joey DeFrancesco, and others (like Trudy Pitts, Shirley Scott, etc.). Jim especially was on fire on some of these second set gems. His solo on "Jimmy Smith..." was jaw-dropping. The whole group burned when they were at their best. Wonderful evening.

Hey John great to meet(finally!) you and your wife.

Well I only caught the 2nd set but it was great. Nice crowd. I was a little apprehensive that there would be a small turn out because of the weather but it was packed. And we're talking a pretty good sized room here folks.

Jim, Joe, and Randy - what can I say? You guys get better and better everytime I see ya. I wish you guys lived in Philly. In addition to the highlights that Felser mentioned I like to add that Randy's harp solo on "Running Off at the Mouth"(Did I get the title right?) was ferocious! I had totally forgot, until Ron reminded me, that Randy played the harmonica. Sweet.

Jim - your daughter is beautiful. Those rosy cheeks!! What a doll face. She did really well. My son would have been racing around yelling at the top of lungs until the guards asked us to leave.

It was a very fun gig and great to meet felser and his wife. We had a packed house and got a standing ovation at the end of the show, something the soundman couldn't remember anyone else receiving. We sold a bunch of CDs, which is very helpful... gotta kept paying off those recording debts.

The set list was as follows, for those who care:

Set 1

Breakin The Ice (B. DeVos)

Greaze Monkey (Alfredson, Gloss, Marsh)

Smokin' Section (Alfredson, Gloss)

Trace Amount (Alfredson, Gloss)

Blake's Shake (Alfredson, Gloss)

Bleeker (Alfredson, Gloss, Marsh)

Blue Comedy (M. Gibbs)

Pumpkin Pie (Alfredson, Gloss)

Set 2

Como En Vietnam (S. Swallow)

Timeline (P. Metheny) - dedicated to Michael Brecker

Life Wish (Gloss)

That Dirty Thang (B. Heid)

Tenderly (Gross, Lawrence)

Running At The Mouth (Marsh)

Jimmy Smith Goes To Washington (Alfredson)

We had a blast and we hope to be back in Philly sometime in March.

Any new gigs in D.C. planned?

Here's a new venue you can try: Bohemian Caverns. The place was bought from the previous owners (who were crooks). The new owners are really nice; they are the sons of saxophonist Leonard Brown (who I am going to see there tonight).

Right now they don't have a piano yet, so there's PLENTY of room for a B-3!

Bertrand.

Thank you for posting this...I really wish I could have been there. Sounds like it was a fantastic time!

Great job fellas!!

greg

All things considered, this was one of the best gig experiences I've been a part of. So inspiring to be in such a grand space surrounded not only by supportive and friendly people, but by several centuries worth of truly great artwork representing the best of human creativity and expression.

Much gratitude to Ron, Leslie, and Amanda for sharing their home with us once again.

All things considered, this was one of the best gig experiences I've been a part of. So inspiring to be in such a grand space surrounded not only by supportive and friendly people, but by several centuries worth of truly great artwork representing the best of human creativity and expression.

Much gratitude to Ron, Leslie, and Amanda for sharing their home with us once again.

Don't forget Zoey.. :rolleyes:

Any new gigs in D.C. planned?

Here's a new venue you can try: Bohemian Caverns. The place was bought from the previous owners (who were crooks). The new owners are really nice; they are the sons of saxophonist Leonard Brown (who I am going to see there tonight).

Right now they don't have a piano yet, so there's PLENTY of room for a B-3!

Bertrand.

Historic venue to be sure but I was there a few months ago and found it wayyyyy overpriced. Was the ownership change more recent than my visit?

The change was about 9-10 months ago.

I'm not sure what was overpriced. Who did you see, and what were they charging?

I went Saturday. Cover was $12, and there was no minimum. They had a small food menu with no dish more than $12.

Seems reasonable to me. I suspect you were there under the old owners.

Bertrand.