Which Jazz box set are you grooving to right now?

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Good man.... :tup :tup :tup

I had one of the CD's before.. but the price was GOOD for two other live sessions + a DVD.. I was reading the liner notes and it's a nice little box.... Unfortunately I suspect it may one of the only Griffin sets we'll get... :beee:

Disc 1 of From Johnny Griffin with Love... (the new box from Storyville that no one but me seems to be interested in..... :unsure: :unsure: )

I'm enjoying it... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Mine is still in the mail. I think more people would be into it if they didn't already have quite a bit of the material.

Right now I'm grooving to the Canadian Universal Oscar Peterson set.

Glenn Miller Army Air Force Band. Disk two. I always find it interesting that Shaw & Goodman are considered real jazz, yet a lot of critics and jazz fans turn their noses up at the Miller bands. It terms of popular Big Band music, Miller's Army Air Force Band is about as good as you're going to get -- great arrangements, quality playing, focused on "popular music." It's unfortunate, Goodman's band played worse crap, looking for that hit, than Miller, same with Shaw's band, but they get a pass and Miller doesn't. I won't be holding my breath on a Miller Mosaic.

51VCVSA6CPL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

More than a decade ago I bought my parents the complete Blue Bird Miller box. There's some rockin' good music in that box!

Lon: You inspired me to listen to:

The Complete Glenn Miller and His Orchestra (1938-1942) Disk two. I love this box set, and I bought it off Ebay for $36.00, my best Ebay buy ever.

31TGD0CMAWL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Edited by Matthew

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

95a5810ae7a06edd66379110.L.jpg

It's taken me a long, long time to get this, but I am enjoying it in spite of my general indifference to Evans, although it's fair to say this one is almost as much about La Faro as Evans.

Maybe it's hearing all of it one go in amazing sound quality has something to do with it as I had this one below and it didn't leave that much of an impression. The new liners on the Box Set are fairly shit, but no suprise there as it's Keepnews doing them.

553dc060ada0e18fe71bc110.L.jpg

• 2 weeks later...