Which Jazz box set are you grooving to right now?

20 minutes ago, soulpope said:

Same here .... btw interesting, that (all) Soul Note/Black Saint reissues never featured bonus material 🤔 ....

I think they're just straight remasters with original tracks and original album art (shrunken down), which would be my only complaint about these sets. It's nearly impossible to read the liner notes.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, BFrank said:

I think they're just straight remasters with original tracks and original album art (shrunken down), which would be my only complaint about these sets. It's nearly impossible to read the liner notes.

Agreed .... still wondering about the existence of unreleased material ....

10 hours ago, soulpope said:

"Shades" likely the pick of these albums ....

True. But they're all pretty good. Andrew Hill didn't make bad records. 🙂

9 hours ago, soulpope said:

Same here .... btw interesting, that (all) Soul Note/Black Saint reissues never featured bonus material 🤔 ....

That box set series had some flaws (illegible art reproductions, no bonus tracks, various choices of material were head-scratching [under name of different leader] or redundant), but I still purchased a lot of them! I think the parent label (Cam Jazz) is no longer in business, and have no idea what will happen to the catalogue.

Edited by T.D.

1 minute ago, T.D. said:

True. But they're all pretty good. Andrew Hill didn't make bad records. 🙂

That box set series had some flaws (illegible art reproductions, no bonus tracks, various choices of material were head-scratching [under name of different leader] or redundant), but I still purchased a lot of them!

True .... btw these box sets were important reissues as most of the material was unavailble (or only as undisclosed CD-R's) for a long time .... but still curious about the tapes/vaults of Giovanni Bonandrini ....

Well, as I remember it, Cam Jazz bought Black Saint and Soul Note around 2007-2009.  So, at least as far as the issued albums, Cam Jazz owns that material. The box sets are still uploaded on that website.  I have never read that there was unreleased material.  

The box sets did not compile all of the individual albums. For instance, there must be around 7-10 String Trio of New York albums that never got the box treatment. 

One advantage of the box sets was the pricing, which for me made buying them attractive. 

Dave Douglas recorded 3 albums for Black Saint/Soul Note. According to a 2008 post on his Greenleaf Music website, Cam Jazz acquired the Black Saint/Soul Note "catalogs" in 2008:

https://greenleafmusic.com/black-saintsoul-note/

Edited by cliffpeterson

6 minutes ago, cliffpeterson said:

Well, as I remember it, Cam Jazz bought Black Saint and Soul Note around 2007-2009.  So, at least as far as the issued albums, Cam Jazz owns that material .... I have never read that there was unreleased material.  

That's correct .... but based on the wealth of sessions Bonandrini produced from the later 70's onward makes it hard to believe only the material released was recorded ....