Which Jazz box set are you grooving to right now?

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, JSngry said:

That's a total gem!

Still remember hearing it for the first time in a bar in Derby in about 1985 and bothering the bar staff to tell me what it was I was hearing. Been a favourite since. Possibly the first time I knowingly listened to kora too, I have listened to a lot since.

23 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Still remember hearing it for the first time in a bar in Derby in about 1985 and bothering the bar staff to tell me what it was I was hearing. Been a favourite since. Possibly the first time I knowingly listened to kora too, I have listened to a lot since.

Yeah, first heard it on the radio, started playing right when we were pulling up to a couple's house for a dinner invite. Had to send my wife in to explain why I wouldn't be coming in right away.

Awkward for them, not for me.

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

Yeah, first heard it on the radio, started playing right when we were pulling up to a couple's house for a dinner invite. Had to send my wife in to explain why I wouldn't be coming in right away.

Awkward for them, not for me.

Such sacrifices have to be made sometimes 

Two LPs on one CD

Sergio Mendes on Atlantic

The Swinger from Rio

The Beat of Brazil

Sometime I would like to learn about the Mendes situation regarding Atlantic.  He signed with Atlantic, and recorded Brasil '65 Live at El Matador.  He then signed with A&M and recorded a string of Brasil '66 albums.  Meanwhile, he continued to have albums released by Atlantic.  It wasn't clear to me when those Atlantic albums were recorded.  I suspect that The Beat of Brazil was done before El Matador.  Anybody know?  Anybody know why Atlantic allowed him to sign with A&M?

416P91D7NDL.jpg

40 minutes ago, GA Russell said:

Two LPs on one CD

The Swinger from Rio

The Beat of Brazil

Sometime I would like to learn about the Mendes situation regarding Atlantic.  He signed with Atlantic, and recorded Brasil '65 Live at El Matador.  He then signed with A&M and recorded a string of Brasil '66 albums.  Meanwhile, he continued to have albums released by Atlantic.  It wasn't clear to me when those Atlantic albums were recorded.  I suspect that The Beat of Brazil was done before El Matador.  Anybody know?  Anybody know why Atlantic allowed him to sign with A&M?

416P91D7NDL.jpg

What's in the rest of the box set?

5 hours ago, GA Russell said:

Two LPs on one CD

The Swinger from Rio

The Beat of Brazil

416P91D7NDL.jpg

Atlantic releases had low sales .... Ahmet Ertegun gave his approval for recordings under a new name aka Sergio Serges and Brasil 66 and Herb Alpert took over as producer .... 

15 hours ago, soulpope said:

Atlantic releases had low sales .... Ahmet Ertegun gave his approval for recordings under a new name aka Sergio Serges and Brasil 66 and Herb Alpert took over as producer .... 

Thanks, soulpope.  Do you know which of the Atlantic releases were recorded before the A&M deal?

My recollection is that The Beat of Brazil was the last one released in the US, but I suspect that it was one of the oldest of the bunch.  I could be wrong.

Brazil '.65 recorded for both Atlantic & Capitol: 

https://www.discogs.com/artist/1237687-Sérgio-Mendes-Brasil-65

Per: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sérgio_Mendes#:~:text='" Alpert and Moss signed Mendes,Brasil '66" with A%26M.

All of Mendes' jazz albums for Atlantic Records, through Nesuhi and Ahmet Ertegun, had low sales. Richard Adler suggested that Mendes and the group sing in English, as well as Portuguese as Mendes had demanded, and Adler sought new English-based material such as "Goin' Out of My Head" by Teddy Randazzo and Bobby Weinstein. In order to sing these songs properly in English, Adler suggested that the group find two American female singers who would sing in both English and Portuguese. Adler called his friend Jerry Dennon and A&M Records founders Herb Alpert and Jerry Moss, and arranged for an audition for Mendes' new group, which was dubbed "Brasil '66.'" Alpert and Moss signed Mendes and his group to A&M Records.[3] Adler then went to the Ertegun Brothers at Atlantic Records and sought to have them release Mendes from his Atlantic Jazz contract. Ahmet agreed to allow him to record albums under the name "Sergio Mendes and Brasil '66" with A&M. Mendes was not at this meeting, only Adler and Ahmet Ertegun. Alpert took over as producer for the A&M albums, and the group became a huge success with their first single, "Mas que Nada", by writer Jorge Ben.

So it would appear that "Brazil '66" technically got signed by A&M, not Mendes, although his release from his solo Atlantic contract fixed that.

Ah, show biz!!?