No mail delivery Tuesday

rostasi

Just a reminder...

...and a question:

Will this be the first time that the US will go

3 days straight without mail delivery

(in modern times or otherwise)?

Where do you get this info? The USPS website only lists Monday Jan. 1 as a postal holiday.

http://www.usps.com/communications/news/uspscalendar.htm

Never mind. I just Googled this. More meddling by W, further delaying my important CD deliveries! No disrespect to President Ford, but life must go one.

Edited by Frankie Machine

Never mind. I just Googled this. More meddling by W, further delaying my important CD deliveries ! No disrespect to President Ford, but life must go one.

Geez, uh...no kidding!

Hey, um.....to the guy in mitteleuropa :w -- looks like I'll have to mail your disc on Wed.

It'll be worth the slight delay. :cool:

WASHINGTON, Dec. 29 /PRNewswire/ -- There will be no regular mail

delivery or retail service at Post Offices on Tuesday, Jan. 2, 2007, due to

an Executive Order issued by President Bush directing federal government

agencies to close as a mark of respect for former President Gerald Ford,

who died Dec. 26. Express Mail deliveries will be made on Jan. 2. Regular

retail and delivery service will resume Wednesday, Jan. 3.

U.S. Postal Service employees should not report to work on Tuesday,

Jan. 2, 2007 unless they are contacted by their supervisor and instructed

specifically to do so.

Has this ever happened before? Did they suspend postal service when Reagan and Nixon died? I don't think they did. And if they haven't done this before, why does Ford (of all people) deserve such a tribute? The guy wasn't even elected to the office (he wasn't even elected Vice-President)! He didn't serve a full term! Did they suspend the mail when William Henry Harrison died after thirty days? I can understand doing it when FDR died or when JFK died (both men died in office). Flying the flag at half staff is fine, but this seems rather odd. Almost as though Bush is trying to set a precident for when he kicks off ("There better not be any damn mail when *I* die, dammit!")

They gave all Federal employees the day off when Reagan died. (My wife works for the Federal Dept. of Education.) Nixon too, she thinks.

They probably gave the postal workers the day off both times as well.

I just spoke w/ my mother. She works for USPS. She confirmed that there will be no mail on Tuesday and that they had a day off after Reagan and Nixon died.

Has this ever happened before? Did they suspend postal service when Reagan and Nixon died? I don't think they did. And if they haven't done this before, why does Ford (of all people) deserve such a tribute? The guy wasn't even elected to the office (he wasn't even elected Vice-President)! He didn't serve a full term! Did they suspend the mail when William Henry Harrison died after thirty days? I can understand doing it when FDR died or when JFK died (both men died in office). Flying the flag at half staff is fine, but this seems rather odd. Almost as though Bush is trying to set a precident for when he kicks off ("There better not be any damn mail when *I* die, dammit!")

:mellow: ...take a pill!

All I know is it sucks because I had put off paying some bills and now its really going to be cutting it close. Let me tell ya, Citibank doesn't mess around when it comes to on-time payment and the penalties that occur in its absence. :angry:

Can't you make an electronic payment for the minimum over the weekend?

All I know is it sucks because I had put off paying some bills and now its really going to be cutting it close. Let me tell ya, Citibank doesn't mess around when it comes to on-time payment and the penalties that occur in its absence. :angry:

I don't do my banking online. I could conceivably call them next week if I don't think the check will make it in time, and pay up the wazoo for the pleasure of making a payment over the phone.

When you do that, you're likely to get hit with some variation of the $14.99 'convenience' fee that some of 'em are charging. :tdown

We had a huge snow storm here - 2+ feet.

No mail Fri., Sat., Sun., Mon., & now Tuesday.

This has pushed me into paying a handful of bills on-line (which my wife has been trying to get me to do for a long time.)

Our mail service here is always semi-lousy.

I have a few packages that I've been tracking that have been sitting at the post office since Dec.29.

Someone (hopefully) is coming to plow our driveway this morning so we can get out.

Haven't been anywhere since Thursday evening.