FS/FT: Joe Henderson Milestone Years 8CD Box Set

felser

Eight CD box set containing all of Henderson's Milestone recordings, contains 12 complete Henderson albums and a host of sideman and unreleased cuts. Two of the CD's (#2 and #4) have very slight nicks which do not affect play. The other six discs and the book are immaculate. The outer box has slight wear on the bottom corners, but is in fine shape. Most of the music on this box has never been released on CD in any other format in the USA, and maybe never will be now. Essential set for any serious jazz collection (this is an extra of the set I have). About as good a picture of the trends in 60's-70's jazz as you could hope for in one package and, it goes without saying, majestic tenor playing. Best reasonable offer in cash or trade. Email john.felser@verizon.net or PM me if interested.

Edited by felser

Essential set for any serious jazz collection (this is an extra of the set I have). About as good a picture of the trends in 60's-70's jazz as you could hope for in one package and, it goes without saying, majestic tenor playing.

Certainly is ! I find myself digging into this set on a regular basis, so much great stuff in there. Apart from the obvious like 'Power To The People' and the Lighthouse stuff with Woody Shaw there's gems such as 'Black Narcissus', the Luis Gasca latin material ( :tup ) and the guest slots with Flora Purim. Still one of my favourite boxes and I've had this one for well over 10 years.

Essential set for any serious jazz collection (this is an extra of the set I have). About as good a picture of the trends in 60's-70's jazz as you could hope for in one package and, it goes without saying, majestic tenor playing.

Certainly is ! I find myself digging into this set on a regular basis, so much great stuff in there. Apart from the obvious like 'Power To The People' and the Lighthouse stuff with Woody Shaw there's gems such as 'Black Narcissus', the Luis Gasca latin material ( :tup ) and the guest slots with Flora Purim. Still one of my favourite boxes and I've had this one for well over 10 years.

Now if only Concord or Zweitausendeins would blow this one out like they have some other Fantasy boxes. :rolleyes:

Frankly, I find this set vastly overrated.

:P;)

Parts of it in the later years are not that compelling musically due to the trends of the times, but the box is nonetheless valuable as a time capsule of the evolution of the music (for better and for worse) throughout the era, and much the earlier stuff is wonderful indeed, and the tenor playing is fabulous throughout. It's not something like the Art Pepper Galaxy box where every cut demands to be played again and again, but it's a nice set on many levels and I'm real glad to have it. Almost worth the price of admission for the In Japan stuff alone.

Edited by felser

I was just yanking your chain.

Figured that was the case, but since I'm the guy selling the box, I want to make sure I'm honest with everyone about it. Not every Henderson album on Milestone was a joy, some were painful to experience, but they were like the little girl with the curl, when they were good, they were very good indeed, and that was most of the time (and all of the time early on).

It took me along time to figure out what I was going to do about this box. In general, I'm no fan of boxes, and I knew some of sessions were weak, but it's Joe...

I finally decided to limit myself to the best of the individual records. So far, I bought:

The Kicker

Tetragon

Live At The Lighthouse

In Japan

In Pursuit Of Blackness/Black Is The Color

I knew I would be missing out on Power To The People, but now that's scheduled for later this year, so I'll be covered.

Are there any of the other single CDs that are essential? I also have Relaxin' At Camarillo, but that was not part of the box since it's Contemporary, not Milestone.

Here are the others that I know of:

Multiple

Canyon Lady

The Elements

Apart from Power To The People, what else is in the box that has not been out on single CD? If you believe AMG, it's just Black Narcissus and Black Miracle.

Thanks,

Bertrand.

It took me along time to figure out what I was going to do about this box. In general, I'm no fan of boxes, and I knew some of sessions were weak, but it's Joe...

I finally decided to limit myself to the best of the individual records. So far, I bought:

The Kicker

Tetragon

Live At The Lighthouse

In Japan

In Pursuit Of Blackness/Black Is The Color

I knew I would be missing out on Power To The People, but now that's scheduled for later this year, so I'll be covered.

Are there any of the other single CDs that are essential? I also have Relaxin' At Camarillo, but that was not part of the box since it's Contemporary, not Milestone.

Here are the others that I know of:

Multiple

Canyon Lady

The Elements

Apart from Power To The People, what else is in the box that has not been out on single CD? If you believe AMG, it's just Black Narcissus and Black Miracle.

Thanks,

Bertrand.

I like 'Multiple' a lot (Larry Willis on Electric Piano - I think it was my first Joe Henderson album) and 'The Elements' is interesting, with Alice Coltrane and Michael White. Both sound pretty dated, and neither could be dubbed essential but both are nice to have. Canyon Lady isn't bad, either. 'Black Narcissus' and especially 'Black Miracle' are the really weak sessions on the box. Joe goes ECM and Joe goes George Duke Funky respectively. I guess it is just the three titles not released on domestic CD. What are the details on 'Power to the People' being rereleased? ie Who's putting it out and when>

'Black Narcissus' and especially 'Black Miracle' are the really weak sessions on the box. Joe goes ECM and Joe goes George Duke Funky respectively. I guess it is just the three titles not released on domestic CD.

FWIW, I think "Black Narcissus" is one of THE best albums on this set. A little dated - especially with the syths used (early sequencers actually, I think - or something like that), but some fantastic playing. The tunes are great too -- including a couple remakes that are well worth hearing...

1 Black Narcissus (Henderson)

2 Hindsight and Forethought (Henderson)

3 Power to the People (Henderson)

4 Amoeba (Henderson)

5 Good Morning Heartache (Drake, Fisher, Higginbotham)

6 Other Side of Right (Henderson)

The remakes of "Black Narcissus" and "Power to the People" are outstanding (IMHO). Maybe not as good as the originals (I'll grant you that) -- but I listen to this album as much as any on the entire Joe Milestone set -- seriously!!

"Black Miracle" - on the other hand -- is a mixed bad. Some of it's good, some just OK.

Edited by Rooster_Ties