BFT #43 CD-1

RDK

I've got a few comments that I'll add later, but let's get this party started!

edit: Thought I'd add a few comments. All tracks, as noted, are ripped from old vinyl. Most are unavailable (or at least not readily available) on CD. I was actually a bit surprised, while gathering tracks for these CDs, to realize just how very much jazz has made it to CD over the last 20+ years. We all complain about music being unavailable - and it often is - but if you take into account imports, small reissue labels, oop CDs, etc., you might be surprised by just how much vinyl jazz has been re-issued, if only briefly.

Obviously some tracks I've chosen are available on CD, but they are tunes that I either love or find interesting for discussion. A couple might be considered "guilty pleasures," and I'm sure there are a few that some of you will dislike if not outright hate. I'm looking forward to hearing about those. :g

The compilation ended up more "biased" than i had at first intended, largely because of the quality of the vinyl. There were a number of tracks that didn't make the final cut because the LPs weren't in the best of shape. I tried to stick to better-sounding vinyl, with relatively little surface noise. For those interested in the technical details, all transfers were made "flat," with no EQ or noise reduction. I manually excized a handful of pops and ticks on some tracks, but most tracks none at all.

A hint: one album is represented twice.

Edited by RDK

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots of good stuff - made an interesting and varied listen.

1. “’Round Midnight” or “’Round about Midnight” – I don’t recognize the tenor or the piano. Could it be Moody or Stitt? Just wild guesses.

2. Don’t know anything about this one either. Seems a nicely paced rendering – no idea of the tune.

3. The vibes player is unmistakable I thought and that edged trumpet too once the vibes is known. Two oriental connections! last track of this?

4. “I Remember Clifford” - don’t know who but nice version.

5. “Nearness” – trombone not familiar to me but going along fine until we got to the “English Country Garden“ quote at the end! No guesses again.

6. A bit of it sounds like “C Jam Blues”. This goes a bit beyond my range – no ideas at all.

7. I like this one but still no clue.

8. “Ghost Riders in the Sky” – unusual tune in jazz. So I know who this is – his first album.

9. Don’t know the tune – intrigued to know who this is – not Tal, is it?

10. Don’t know what this is – like it, though.

11. Don’t know again.

12. Aha! That trumpet is a dead giveaway - only took me a very short time to get him - and with accordion too - pirates could be in it here if you put the two names together. My guess is therefore the last track on this album.

13. Don’t know anything about this - and ditto for 14, 15 and 16.

Picking off the easy ones?

Correct on 3, 8, and 12 (though the track is wrong on 12, right album though). Really impressed you got 12 right; I really thought that would stump most everyone. I didn't even realize it was on CD, albeit a Japanese import.

I have a friend who is keen on jazz accordion. Started me off with Buddy de Franco and Tommy Gumina - four LP's, but the one in question came much later. But surely most people will recognise the trumpet player - whatever his limitations might have been as a jazz player, he did not lack an individual style, altough his real strengths lay elsewhere.

Puzzled about the tune - I thought it was the one I haven't got, missing from the CD but not vinyl (as you mentioned earlier, Ray). Still, all will be clear before too long.

Well, seeing as I downloaded the tunes not long after they were posted, it's high time I made some comments here. I'm going to be somewhat random and brief, but hopefully that's better than nothing (with my analytical abilities, probably worse ;))

2. Simultaneously beautiful and depressing (to me anyway). No real idea who. The tune sounds somewhat familiar, but I couldn't come up with a title.

4. Not sure I liked the way the tenor phrased this great Golson melody, and since there wasn't a whole lot else going on, I'm rather unimpressed. Pretty nice overall sound, though.

5. Carl Fontana?

7. This sounds very familiar... but I'm blanking right now. Nice arrangement, and fine playing.

8. Not sure I've ever heard this. Very impressive interplay. Great drum work. Some of the piano playing reminds me of Horace Silver.

9. Very well played, although I don't particularly love the theme on this. I like the guitarist's tone and phrasing, and the chops are in evidence. Need to listen further, and...

I need to run. More later...

Downlaod/burn went off w/o a hitch. MP3 sound quality was not a problem, as a rule.

A few non-dedicated listens is all I've had until now. The usual thanks and disclaimers are firmly in place.

TRACK ONE - Wayne/Herbie @ The Opera House. Why the phuck this hasn't been reissued is beyond me.

TRACK TWO - Don't know. Good, moody. vibe that conjure images of anywhere from ca. 1976 - ca. 1984 or so. Too much of this stuff gets me wanting to grow my beard back, find a bunch of corduroy jackets w/elbow patches, and choose to contemplate the meaning of all the leaves in the yard instead of raking them up. But as part of a well-balanced jazz buffet, it has its place, and a welcome place it is. All that moving up and around leaves one with the need to occasionally sit down. Cymbals sound ECM-ish to me, so maybe Art Lande?

TRACK THREE - Burton, Times Square, "Como En Vietnam". I'm not a Burton fan generally, but this was a pretty good side. Hell, Roy Haynes! Overall, I find it lacking in a certain "swagger" (in soite of Roy), but Burton is who Burton is, and Burton does what Burton does, so hey.

TRACK FOUR - Max/Odean, Chattahoochie Red "I Remember Clifford". Short but sweet (enough). This was from the time when Max started making band albums w/shorter "showcase" numbers instead of full-length excursions. Mileages may vary on how satisfying that concept was. I know mine does. But yeah, ok, Odean's the real deal, and if he's heard to better advantage elsewhere, at least he's heard here.

TRACK FIVE - Ray Anderson? Kinda perverse, like Bill Harris w/o the winks... "The Nearness Of You" becomes a threat to get goosed...

TRACK SIX - Well, Sam I recognize. Hard not to recognize Sam, god bless him. Don't readily recognize the altoist (might have at one time) who is probably a better player than he shows here. Bass/drums tandem is locked in nicely, even if that compunction to SWING is something that seems a little bit forced to me these days, although the source is probably subconscious instead of conscious.

Ok, it's a blues, it SWINGS, and Sam is a true & genuine treasure (and he swings, pulling the bass/drums into his zone in the process, which is a good thing). Other than that, not too much to say.

TRACK SEVEN - Jeez, this sounds familiar... Sounds like a Columbia thing, that studio sound is pretty distinctive. Well ok, there's Phil Woods... Lots of chartage...and a cast of character! Teddy Charles? Very much of its time in style and content, but it still sounds good, possibly for exactly that reason.

TRACK EIGHT - Monty Alexander? I remember him doing this back in the day, but don't remember exactly what it sounded like. Don't think it was like this though, his was more of a "fantasia" as I remember. so... It's ok, but if it was me who was coming marching home again hooray hooray, I think I might want something a little different. But that's just me.

TRACK NINE - Well now! Absolutely no idea, but it's a good tune, good, challenging changes, and everybody came to play. After a while, it gets kinda jazz-geeky, but that's gonna happen sometimes. Can't say that I "love" it, but in a club, it would be fun for a set or so.

TRACK TEN - Clark Terry sat on my mother's birthday cake and did not offer restituion in a timely manner. Clark Terry put the wrong size tires on my car. Clark Terry.....oh wait, wrong thread...

Well, that sounds like Sam Woodyard on the intro (but not once they get into the tune), and parts of the ensemble sound like some Ellingtonians are involved, but I think I hear Kenny Burrell, so it's probably some side project. Writing sounds more Duke-inspired than Dukish, so I don't know... Probably some Verve date (it's got that Verve vinyl sound to it) by somebody I should know. Might even be Oliver Nelson's writing, but I don't think so. It's good.

TRACK ELEVEN - Again, no idea. Noticably in stereo! Geez, the drummer almsot reminds me of Elvin in his "undercover" bag... Boisterous trombone sections like this are thin ice for me. The ice doesn't crack, but not for lack of trying. Pianist is the most interesting player for me. Again w/the Duke influence!

Wait - tell me this isn't the Randy Weston Destry Rides Again thing! Wow...

TRACK TWELVE - C'mon in, we've been waiting for you! It's time for Art Linkletter's House Party! Thank you Muzzy Marcellino!

Or not...

Well, ok, it's good, no doubt about that, but life is short, even if studio time isn't.

TRACK THIRTEEN - Ok, I'm nothing if not a wlaking contradiction. I like this. Pretty sure that's one of those Bud Shank World Pacific "easy listening" sides. Shank's actually pretty identifiable once you get to know him. Depending on shich system I'm listening on, the trumpeter has a Thad Jones flayor to his tone. Don't know if that at all plausible, but... Anyway, if you gotta make crap for the radio, make it good crap! And I think that this is good crap. Not great crap, miond you, but certainly good. I'd not switch the dial.

TRACK FOURTEEN - Ok, I recognize "Mornin', Reverend", but this ain't the original. Is this from the Horizon side? I missed that one, unfortunately, sounds like a keeper. If that's it, this would be Gregory Herbert, somebody who may or may not have turned into somebody/something other than a "promising talent". But by all accounts, he was a big asshole, a big drug addict, and now he's dead. So we'll never know. Let that be a lesson to us all.

TRACK FIFTEEN - The mother of greatness! Generally never dug her band too much, but damn, the woman can write. Like mother, like daughter. "Road Time Shuffle" is the tune. I've come to like Lew more and more over time, he reminds me of Shepp coming from the other side of the tracks (and all that implies). And time has deepened my appreciation for what a long strange trip it's had to have been for Toshiko, and what a strong spirit she's had to have had to have done all she's done. Again, like mother, like daughter, and in the end, that's what it's all about - spirit. Never mind if the band sounds hopelssly white, L.A. studio-ish, the spirit's in the writing, and the spirit ultimately is what somes through.

Hell yeah.

TRACK SIXTEEN - I'm guessing Sheila Jordan, and I don't like it. She herself is somebody I'm on a case-by-case basis with, and there have been any number of things by her that I've liked. But this is a stupid and smug song done stupidly and smugly. Look, I should be able to relate to this, it's certainly not that I think it's "unfair" or anything. It's certainly "fair". But this is not a beautiful spirit at play, at least not here. This is ugly and mean. They think it's "funny". It's not. It's the spirit of death, not life, and as such, I deny it's validity in my life.

A pleasant ride, Ray. I'll get to Disc Two tomorrow, probably. That one was full of surprises too!

Great. :rolleyes: I come back to the BFT tracks, and right off the bat, the first tune I listen to (track 10) has me all F'd up. Whenever I hear a Kenny Burrell solo on a BFT, I think to myself "okay, this has to be in my collection somewhere". That may be the case here, but I just checked the ol' database, and... :huh: Anyway, this music REALLY sounds familiar (the song itself), but I can't name it. Sounds Ellington-ish... and as we all know, although KB was Duke's favorite guitarist, they never recorded together. Hmm...

KB's tone reminds me of the general area from about 1960 to '64, fwiw.

Well, I wasted too much time on this track to continue now... time to go eat...

... :excited:

Edited by Jim R

Damn, Jim, your comments never fail to impress me. I'd like to think that your knack for identifying artists and commenting on their performances has more to do with your experience and insight as a musician than my, uh, ignorance of same. If not, then at least allow me my delusion. :lol: Either way, great job on the picks; I'm glad that at least a few of them stumped you.

I have to admit to being a bit surprised by your reaction to trk 16. While I didn't think too many would really like it - it is a tossed-off set-closer, programmed that way both on the original LP and here, not meant to be taken too seriously - I didn't think anyone would consider it "ugly and mean." I've always (for over 20 years now) found it amusing; a guilty pleasure if you will. I'm not sure I really understand your criticism of it, but your comments regarding it are the most interesting thus far. I obviously don't agree, but that's, uh, life. And as I've said before, I've always found the negative reactions to BFT tracks so much more interesting and revealing. I always try to include a few that I think (hope?) will be despised. Just didn't think it'd be that one... :cool:

Glad you enjoyed Trk 13; I agree completely. (It's also, though, the best track on the album.) Ironically, it's the scratchiest vinyl of the batch, and the better of the two copies that I own. I bought it used of course (ain't quarter bins great?), but it was apparently well-loved and played often - which I suppose says something about the mainstream appeal of "easy listening" jazz. :w

I'd like to think that your knack for identifying artists and commenting on their performances has more to do with your experience and insight as a musician than my, uh, ignorance of same.

Nah. I'm just old enough to have heard some of it when it was new, and some more of it when I was new... ;)

I have to admit to being a bit surprised by your reaction to trk 16. While I didn't think too many would really like it - it is a tossed-off set-closer, programmed that way both on the original LP and here, not meant to be taken too seriously - I didn't think anyone would consider it "ugly and mean." I've always (for over 20 years now) found it amusing; a guilty pleasure if you will. I'm not sure I really understand your criticism of it, but your comments regarding it are the most interesting thus far. I obviously don't agree, but that's, uh, life. And as I've said before, I've always found the negative reactions to BFT tracks so much more interesting and revealing. I always try to include a few that I think (hope?) will be despised. Just didn't think it'd be that one... :cool:

Well, yeah, I was a bit strong in my reaction, but sincere neverhteless. For any number of reasons, I've been becoming increasingly revulsed (yeah, revulsed) by the all-too-common mindset of all-too-many "jazz people" that you prove your hipness by belittling the un-hip. I mean, yeah, ok, some folks are totally un-hip and can make make life a drag for the rest of us, but unless they're doing it intentionally/maliciously, I can't hate them just for being who they are. It takes all types, and those folks got lives and souls just the same as anybody else. So how "hip" is it to belittle them, especially if it's in the spirit of thinking that you somehow get built up by tearing down? If anything, I think it's terribly unhip...

Now. "tweaking" I can certainly understand. And outright anger I can also relate too. But those are both actions rooted in love, I think. The notion of picking on somebody "smaller" (perceived or otherwise) than yourself, though, that's just old-fashioned bullying, and I think we all know what's inside the psyche of a bully. It sure ain't love.

And a jazz bully? Hey - look around, Mr. & Mrs. Hip, it ain't exactly your world anymore, is it? Not even the hip parts, unless you consider dead or near-dead excursions to a mid-20th Century esthetic to be "hip". Is the world passing you by? Quite possibly. So who the phuck are you to be making fun of other people who the world's passed by? You're one of them now.

Maybe that's not what the intent of this piece was, and maybe I just took it too personal, projecting onto it a lot of shit I've been examining in my world lately. Entirely possible. But right or wrong, that's how it hit me anyways.

Last Friday, Mr. Bassman paid a visit for a listening session and brought me a copy - we had a listen to the first disc together and started guessing and sleuthing until hunger struck and we abandoned the disc for some spaghetti .... in other words, the first guesses are a collaborative product. Other than that, the usual disclaimers apply.

Track 1: I'm unable to identify the saxist from the short sentence "this is for Monk" nor from his playing. His tone is a little too hard and loud for my taste. I like the pianist much better, his sparing approach and the few Monkish references. Overall, an interesting version. I wonder who that pianist is ...

Track 2: This reminds me a lot of the "European" school of piano trio, but I'm too vague about it. Sounds a bit like an earlier ECM recording, too, before it got too spacious. But more than that, I can't say - not something I would buy, although it is nice to listen too. That bassist sounds a bit like Dave Holland ... or like Arild Andersen .... I'm not sure.

Track 3: I was pretty sure after a minute into the vibes solo that this is Gary Burton, and remembered an ECM LP with a Japanese trumpeter, Tiger Okoshi. Since the drummer sounds an awful lot like Roy Haynes, who also was on that album, I guess this is it. Sounds like an electric bass - and yes, Steve Swallow was on it too! I like this more than most Burton I have heard.

Track 4: "I remember Clifford", written but not played here by Benny Golson. No idea who it is, but nice idea to play it with tenor, trumpet and bass, although I don't like the pickup sound and would like to hear more trumpet.

Track 5: My guess for the trombonist is Al Grey. The name of the standard escapes me, although I remembered it when Mr. Bassman was here .......

Track 6: More awful bass pickups ..... alto and tenor intertwined. No idea. This is more saxophonists' music, IMO.

Track 7: This reminds me of the stuff Manny Albam and others did in New York. I like this a lot,but Mr. Bassman didn't ..... :) Good solos, I find - for him they were doing routine exercises. (It shows you didn't grow up with jazz, buddy .... :g - these solos are far from routine.) Too bad I can't identify the vibist - very interesting angular approach. Osie Johnson on drums? Even more bad I sold my Albam vinyl many years ago ....

Track 8: Very nice approach to this tune - arrrgh what was the name? Drummer uses some nice sounds, striking the rim of the China cymbal for that little rhythmic figure (although he takes some time before he really has the pianists' phrasing down!), and the woodblocks in New Orleans style. Wonder who this is. Really nice arrangement!

Track 9: I'm not enough into neobop guitarists, but he sounds familiar. Jimmy Raney? Or his son Doug? No - this sounds like one of those Don Schlitten produced Xanadu LPs, at least the drums sound like it. Well .....

Track 10: Ohhh! Clark Terry!!!? Anyway, some cheerful music. Good spirits everyone. Yeah!

Track 11: Can't identify this big band - interesting pianist. Drummer wanted to play on, it seems .....

Track 12: Accordion ..... Mat Mathews? If so, I should have this somewhere, if it is one of the few exceptions that were on CD. Sounds like Art Farmer's sweet trumpet in the section, but he's not the soloist. Osie Johnson again? Joe Puma on guitar? Well there's no baritone on the Mathews CDs I have .... Nice, if only for the swinging accordion.

Track 13: Sweet trumpet - something like soap jazz. Mood music, but styled too much for the pop market. Not for me. Alto is too hard for Desmond - Bud Shank?

Track 14: A welcome change of pace. Recording sounds a little strange, but that band is very good. Is this the Thad Jones - Mel Lewis Orchestra? Bassists plays almost like Stanley Clarke - if it's not Thad & Mel, they're inspired by them. That tenor sure digs in. I thin of Joe Farrell all the time ....

Track 15: This is a better recording, but less adventurous. I know that alto .... piccolo flutist uses too much vibrato in that written part! Tenor plays older style - strange mix of styles. But they sure had a good time. I'm curious about who they are.

Track 16: This sounds like an amateur singer with shaky intonation, maybe even a teenager, but she has the spirit and feeling, even if she lacks chops. Take some lessons, and you're in. The audience sure appreciated it.

Very nice slections that were fun listening to! Thanks for taking the efforts to burn these all! :tup

Re track 6: Now that I've read the others' posts, I remember that Mr. Bassman suggested Dave Holland on bass, which I agreed upon after the bass solo, and further suggested Sam Rivers and Barry Altshul. But no idea which album this is.

Track 10 is the great surprise! No wonder used copies of this achieve high prices! Gary MacFarland never stops to amaze me - what a great, entertaining talent!

Track 8: My mother had a 78 with Ghost Riders - this was loooong ago! No wonder I couldn't recall the name of the tune.

I wonder if I checked out that Verve reissue at the time ....

Track 13: I had that one as a Fresh Sound reissue LP, sold it at a time when I had grown tired of most West Coast Jazz ..... well ..... Jolly was better than Mathews!

Track 2: This reminds me a lot of the "European" school of piano trio, but I'm too vague about it. Sounds a bit like an earlier ECM recording, too, before it got too spacious. But more than that, I can't say - not something I would buy, although it is nice to listen too. That bassist sounds a bit like Dave Holland ... or like Arild Andersen .... I'm not sure.

Mike, you of all people I thought would recognize this one. And you are very close! :g

Hit a few others right on the head as well. You guys are all much better at this than I am. :lol:

1. I wonder if this may have been recorded around the time of Monk’s death in the early 1980’s. Don’t know the tenor player, I find his sound a little strident. Mal Waldron on piano, maybe?

2. I like this. The tune is familiar, I’m sure I’ve heard it before. Richie Beirach, possibly?

3. Gary Burton, for sure. Might this be a Mike Gibbs tune? It sounds like early Burton, probably on RCA. There was a compilation called “3 In Jazz” that, if I recall correctly, had a few tracks with Jack Sheldon. Perhaps this is from that LP?

4. My first thought was Sonny Rollins, and this tenor player certainly owes a lot to Sonny. Possibly Lou Tabackin or Bennie Wallace? The tune is “I Remember Clifford”, of course.

5. “The Nearness of You”, a lovely tune. Can’t say much for the trombone player, a little gruff where tenderness is called for.

6. I’m sorry, this just leaves me cold.

7. I’m pretty sure the alto is Phil Woods, and this may be his composition. Can’t name any of the other players. The bari player has got a little Gerry Mulligan in him – Gene Allen, possibly? Eddie Costa on vibes? Can’t get a handle on the trumpet, in places the bone recalls Willie Dennis. A nice, lightly swinging track.

8. The weird stereo on this suggests it was recorded in the late 50’s or early 60’s, possibly for Riverside. The label recorded a few obscure pianists (Dick Morgan, Evans Bradshaw, Roosevelt Wardell, etc). Am I on the right track? Nice drummer.

9. At first I thought Jimmy Raney, but this seems a little “out” for Jimmy, although this guitarist has certainly listened to a lot of Jimmy. Atilla Zoller maybe, with Don Friedman on piano? Very nice.

10. “Brotherhood of Man”. Clark Terry, unmistakeable! This is, I think, from a jazz version of a broadway show, but I can’t remember which show this comes from. Probably Kenny Burrell on guitar. Some nice solo work – not crazy about the arrangement.

11. Nice trombones, would like to have heard more from them. Pianist seems to be featured here – might he be the leader? Awfully short.

12. Good playing from everybody here. I’m gonna guess the two most likely candidates for accordion – Art Van Damme or Mat Mathews. The first time I heard this, I thought the bari player sounded like Al Cohn – is that possible? I’m sure the trumpet is a name I know, but nobody comes to mind. Likewise the guitar.

13. Pure shlock, played by some fine musicians. The tune is “Petite Fleur”, I’m pretty sure. Bud Shank made a series of records like this in the 60’s; this could be him. And might this be Chet Baker on trumpet?

14. Modern big band – Gerald Wilson, possibly? Kind of a tinny recording. The tenor runs out of ideas some time before his solo ends.

15. This more like it – a ballsy big band, a nice punchy recording! Solid alto! The alto is good, but it’s the drummer who grabs my attention all through. The tenor is OK, not outstanding. Again, I’m reminded of Lou Tabackin, for some reason.

16. This woman can’t sing. Take it off!

Edited by Stereojack

Some really nice stuff in this disc! Christmas has been pretty busy, so I’ve not yet started on disc b. But disc a has been a great listening experience. Thanks Ray.

1 What a voice! This saxophonist ought to be extremely recognisable to those who know more about jazz than I. I don’t know who it is. I started playing this when I did the download, just to play the first few seconds to make sure it had come out all right on the disc. But I couldn’t turn it off!

2 This reminds me of Jacques Loussier, but the tune sounds like Satie. Very attractive, but it doesn’t get me going.

3 Vibes, trumpet & rhythm. I guess the vibes player is the leader. Don’t know who it is, though. I think the trumpet player is Blue Mitchell. Very groovy bass solo, too. I like this track a lot!!!

4 “I remember Clifford” by tenor sax, trumpet & bass. A beautiful performance.

5 “The nearness of you” by trombone & rhythm. Love the growl trombone, but the thing with the bass burps is a bit wearisome after he’s done it a few too many times. Love the cadenza at the end.

6 Alto tenor & rhythm on “C jam blues”. A fairly, but not very, outside version of this, which is most interesting, The simultaneous improvisation is very good, not getting in each other’s way, complementing or chasing each other around. The alto solo is interesting; seems to break down after a bit, and the tenor player comes in as if to help out, then takes over. Tenorist is a bit more of a straight ahead player; well at first anyway. Outside again when the altoist comes back in. Loads of chops on the bass player; is it Dave Holland? Think the tag with the drummer goes on a bit too long.

7 Bop thing by largish group. Like the baritone player; like the altoist; like the vibes; like the trombone. Don’t like the band, the tune or the arrangement.

8 “Riders in the sky” sounds like Ray Bryant. Love the drummer. Love the ending, too. Great fun!!!!

9 Guitar & rhythm on bop number. “Rhythm-n-ing”? One of those Monk things anyway. Don’t really like either the guitarist or the pianist. Can’t be asked to get involved in this.

10 Nice wah wah trumpet. Clark Terry I guess. Don’t like the band or arrangement at all. Is the guitarist Phil Upchurch?

11 Another largish group. Again, I don’t like this band much, but the trombone and piano solos are OK.

12 Accordion! Sapristi! This is quite entertaining. Nice baritone solo. Nice trumpet solo! Nice guitar solo. And, as they say on “The fast show”, “NICE!”

13 Petite fleur” lovely version. I really like the chorus girls (any chorus girls). Never even gave a thought to who it might be.

14 Movie music at the start. Tenor solo after a too long intro. Good jumpin’ tenorman. I like him but, once more, not the band. Mind you, he does go on a bit…

15 Rousing big band blues live. Sounds like Curtis Peagler on alto. So I guess this is the Basie band, though I’m not well up on Basie. I think the tenor player is Jimmy Forrest.

16 Strange song. Kinda country. Can’t say I like the singer. A good way to end a gig, though. And a good way to end a BFT, too.

MG

First of all, this is a great little BFT disk - enjoyed it very much. It also had me tearing my hair out because so much of it is familiar and likely in my LP racks but I can't pinpoint it. :crazy:

1. 'Round Midnight' live performance by tenor plus rhythm section. Tenor player reminds me a bit of Clifford Jordan.

2. Piano trio - very European feel, almost prototype EST. I'm certain I have this in the racks - could it be that Steve Kuhn MPS album with the Scandinavian guys on bass and drums? (Palle Danielsson and Jon Cristiansen are the ones I'm thinking of). The title I think is 'Watch What Happens' but I can't find the damn LP to check it out !

3. Don't know the track but for sure it's Gary Burton on vibes ! Quite enjoyable.

4. 'I Remember Clifford' - Haven't a clue re: the tenor player or the group. So-so for this one.

5. Lovely piano intro - Hank Jones or Oscar? Trombone feature - whoever it is is playing a huge bore trombone. The technical flurry at the end reminded me a bit of Bill Watrous but I don't think the sound is Bill's. More of a 'mainstream' player. Very faint guitar backing in the background (Herb Ellis?)

6. Must be Sam Rivers on tenor - 'trademark' phrases from him. Isn't this a tune that is also on the 'Fuchsia' album? Not sure about the rest of the band. Sounds like a 70s/early 80s recording.

7. Big band blues with prominent vibes. Again, I'm damn sure I have this one. Teddy Charles Tentet? (sounds like Art Farmer on trumpet). Lovely stuff.

8. 'When Johnny Comes Marching Home Again' - Sounds very much like Dave Brubeck with some Ahmad Jamal-ish inflections. Not over-sold on this one.

9. Very nice straight-ahaid guitar with trio in a Wes Montgomery style. My first reaction was to suggest Emily Remler but on second thoughts it sounds more like Louis Stewart. Fine performance with an interesting chord progression.

Edited by sidewinder