suggest well-known tunes having to do with meditation or silence...

Rooster_Ties

For those that thought I was crazy to consider Depeche Mode's "Enjoy The Silence" (original version)...

Here's a nice unplugged version that maybe shows the tune in a better light. Subtract the voice, and this "piano plus vocal" version is not too far from what it might sound like on handbells.

"The Sound of Silence" will still be the main selection (played during the offering, probably a good 4½ minutes long), and I'm only thinking of the Depeche Mode tune as a 2 to 2½ minute prelude, at the beginning of the service -- after the announcements, and before the opening words by the minister.

I think MG's suggestion (quote below) is instructive...

I think you need songs that will mean something to the congregation when they hear them out of context and out of style. So they have to be pretty well known. I think that takes care of any jazz tunes; though in abstract terms many would be good. "Sounds of silence" is a good one.

So I've got one tune for the older crowd (the Paul Simon), and one for 20 and 30 somethings (the Depeche Mode). Nothing like trying to do a little programming for multiple generations. :)

Edited by Rooster_Ties