What are your recommendations for hard bop big band records?

Dmitry

Hard bop is a fairly general term and can be interpreted differently by different people.

If you're talking about bands that were active in the 60s and embraced that style, that could include some Bill Holman (like his Big Band In A Jazz Orbit), Gerald Wilson and Terry Gibbs. Rob McConnell came along later, but he play a lot of tunes associated with the hard bop repertoire. Gerry Mulligan's band could be viewed as a hard bop group, too.

There are certainly a lot of published arrangements of tunes associated with the hard bop style arranged for big band.

Edited by Free For All

Not sure if this is hard bop, but I liked just about everything from the Akiyoshi/Tabackin big band. Insight is a personal favorite.

Clifford Jordan has a pretty cool date on Mapleshade. Much better than the one on Milestone.

I also like the Joe Henderson record on Verve.

Edited by Eric

Yes, the Joe Henderson might be the closest of all to what I would interpret as a hard bop big band CD. And it's a good one.

Danny D'Imperio's Big Band Bloviation Cd's Vol 1 & Vol 2 might qualify, too.

I'll probably think of some more.

Here's one. "Presenting the Thad Jones- Mel Lewis Big Band" (their first album on Solid State and IMHO, the best album they every made).

Edited by John Tapscott

Billy Harper's first Strata East date?? (LP title = Capra Black, as best I remember - at work at the moment.)

Everything I seem to be trying to think of is post-1970.

"Introducing Duke Pearson's Big Band" and also Pearson's "Now Hear This!" maybe?? (Certainly the Chick tune 'Straight up and Down' from "Introducing..." would qualify.)

What I'd be REALLY interested are in any titles for this thread from the 50's and 60's. Like what was the first "hard bop big band" record??

EXCELLENT thread topic!! :tup:tup:tup

Edited by Rooster_Ties

To answer my own question - Dizzy Gillespie's Big Band sides with Lee Morgan and Benny Golson are very good big band hard bop.

This album is what made me curious about other hard bop biog band records -_OD001Dizzy.jpg

Yes, I am mainly interested in the hey-day recordings, ca.1956-1965, but keep 'em all comin'.

ANY clarke boland date you can get your hands on is worthy. very worthy. highly recommended sides currently available in one country or another include:

'all blues'

'all smiles'

'more smiles'

'fellini 712'

'now hear our meanin'

'calypso blues'

'sax no end'

and of course the blue note 'the golden 8'.

my opinion is that if you have even a passing interest in big band and don't have any of these titles you're really missing out on some tasty stuff. clarke boland was a very unique ensemble that had all the pieces of a big band but used them in a real breathable interchangable way.

regards,

-e-

ANY clarke boland date you can get your hands on is worthy. very worthy. highly recommended sides currently available in one country or another include:

'all blues'

'all smiles'

'more smiles'

'fellini 712'

'now hear our meanin'

'calypso blues'

'sax no end'

and of course the blue note 'the golden 8'.

my opinion is that if you have even a passing interest in big band and don't have any of these titles you're really missing out on some tasty stuff. clarke boland was a very unique ensemble that had all the pieces of a big band but used them in a real breathable interchangable way.

regards,

-e-

:tup:tup:tup

Check out the Schema/Rearward site for lots of CBBB nuggets on CD and LP ! :excited: