Tal Farlow

Durium

TALMADGE FARLOW ( 1921 - 1998 )

jfarlow.jpg

Some years ago I had contact with a jazz collector and film editor in the US who sent me a documentary, he had made himself, titled Talmadge Farlow (1921 - 1998 ). It was the first time that I heard the name of Tal Farlow myself.

I played myself the 1969 album The Return of Tal Farlow and was fascinated by his great technique. What a guitar player .

Tal Farlow playing

Keep swinging

Durium

Edited by Durium

Tal Farlow is GREAT! One of my all-time favorite Jazz guitarists.

You started with a "mixed bag", though. "The Return of Tal Farlow" is great for his guitar work but the overall sound somehow appears odd to me. To me, the harsh, somewhat metallic sound of the piano really is out of keeping with the rest of it.

I really prefer his Verve albums of the 50s as well as his early work with the Red Norvo Trio and on Blue Note.

And then there are the two great LP's on Xanadu: "Fuerst Set" (Xanadu 109) and "Second Set" (Xanadu 119) - private after-hours recordings made by one Ed Fuerst in 1956 in a trio setting with Eddie Costa and Vinnie Burke where Tal really streteches out.

Edited by Big Beat Steve

Oh hellyeah! The Farlow Concert Jazz Band Mosaic is da shit! I had his "Swingin' Guitar" and the self-titled Elite Edition discs before and love Costa a lot. The Mosaic is constantly great, the session with some west coast horns in is very good, too. I think this is one of the most consistent Mosaics - a great body of work, great tune choices, terrific guitar playing, very good backing bands, really one to play from beginning to end in one long go!

The Norvo Trio w/Farlow & Mingus sides are great, too - those are all I have, I think there'd be some post-Minugs ones, too... some quite crazy stuff on those trio sides!

This is one of the weirdest covers ever for a jazz release, methinks - only ever saw it on the web, alas:

Move.jpg

I heard Tal live in the mid-1980s, and believe it or not he'd gone a fair bit beyond anything I'd ever heard from on record in terms of fluidity/rapidity/subtlety of thought and execution. It was like listening to Tatum -- it felt like the music was close to or beyond my ability to take it in in real time.

TALMAGE FARLOW ( 1921 - 1998 )

Some years ago I had contact with a jazz collector and film editor in the US who sent me a documentary, he had made himself, titled Talmage Farlow (1921 - 1998 ). It was the first time that I heard the name of Tal Farlow myself.

I played myself the 1969 album The Return of Tal Farlow and was fascinated by his great technique. What a guitar player .

Tal Farlow playing

Keep swinging

Durium

Highly recommended listening!

By the way, his first name is Talmadge, with a "d".

(Aangepast, Dr. F. in het originele bericht )

Keep swinging

Durium

I picked up his Mosaic set on a whim because I found it selling very cheaply at the time. I figured if I didn't like it, I could probably re-sell it. I never had to worry about re-selling it because I enjoyed it so much. What a pleasant surprise and what a fantastic guitarist he was!

This is one of the weirdest covers ever for a jazz release, methinks - only ever saw it on the web, alas:

Move.jpg

Musicwise you're not missing anything if you have the latest Savoy reissue:

Complete Red Norvo on Savoy

For all 30 radio transcriptions by the Norvo-Farlow-Mingus trio, not the same as the Savoy recordings, check "Red Norvo: Volume 2" (Vintage Jazz Classics VJC-1008-2)

d507531srql.jpg

Farlow was a great and very humble guitarist. The Farlow-Costa-Burke trio must have been quite a thing to watch live.

A pity that he retired so early (1958). For more on Farlow see Dave Gould's site

F

Move.jpg

If you ever come to Paris, I'll let you have a look at that album cover! In full color :cool:

The photo (probably US Air Force) is uncredited.

Savoy had weird covers at the time!

WHO ?? I don't think we've ever talked about him before...?

^_^

Hey, you can't be serious!

Has he really been off your radar all the time? :blink:

There's LOTs of life in Jazz outside all those hard-bop-funk-jazz-rock-bluenote-hornblowers! :D :D

:mellow: ... :huh: ... ^_^ ... :unsure: ...

No worries, Jim. I know you're joshin'. ^_^

• 1 year later...

One of my favorite memories is a JVC Jazz Festival in, I dunno, the late '90's, which was a tribute to Barney Kessel (he got up on stage at the end of the concert to read a speech, but the stroke had so incapacitated him that, after a few words, his wife had to complete his speech, but that's another story). It was an all-star, all-guitar concert, and a highlight was this trio: Tal, Herb Ellis, and Charlie Byrd. Backed by bass and drums, they laughed and traded licks. It was great!

You didn't ask me but anyway ... if you enjoyed that Blue Note 5042 then check out all of his 50s Verve albums. You can't go wrong with any of them; I have most of them (except 1 or 2); "The Swinging Guitar of Tal Farlow" and "Tal" are maybe my favorites but I really cannot see any major quality differences between them. So it all depends on availability, and basically any of them would be a good starter into his Verve period.

His "Fuerst Set" and "Second Set" albums issued on Xanadu (private jam session recordings from late 1956 where he really stretches out) are particularly good, too.

Edited by Big Beat Steve