Kenny Dorham

Claude Schlouch

I'm not saying he's overrated, but I have to admit that Dorham is a guy who hasn't exactly knocked me out over the years -- or at least he hasn't really spoken to me that deeply.

I know him primarily from his BN leader dates (I've got most of them), and most of his various sideman appearances on BN (especially those with Joe Henderson), and a couple co-leader dates with Jackie McLean (originally on UA?) -- I'm talkin' about MATADOR and INTA SOMETHIN'. I may have heard one or two of his dates that are now OJC's (QUIET KENNY is the only one that comes to mind). Maybe a live air-check from the early-to-mid 60's (one of the Steeplechases?). And of course he's also on POINT OF DEPARTURE.

Sorry to be a downer here. He's certainly not a bad player either (or that uneven, come to think of it). Just not somebody I've ever been dyin' to hear more and more from.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I admire KD because he was persuasive without raising his (instrumental) voice. He knew he didn't have the punch-you-in-the-face power of Dizzy or Brownie, so he found other ways to get across.

I admire KD because he seemed willing to try anything and measure himself against anybody. Bird, Max, Monk, Rollins, Horace, Cecil, Andrew Hill, Muhal Richard Abrams.

I admire KD because of the never-ending line of development in his playing. Have you HEARD the way he was playing on that last recording with Abrams?

KD fans, unite!

Kenny Dorham is one of my favorite trumpet players. His solos had a lyrical quality that , to my ears, told a story. His playing reaches me emotionally in a way that few other trumpet players can match. His compositions are also first rate.

:tup:tup:tup

I feel the same way--interesting how this veteran from the Bird era and Joe Henderson found themselves to be such kindred musical souls.

I would add that I rarely fail to identify him when I turn on the radio and he's soloing. This is in contrast to a recent query on the Discography forum asking if an uncredited trumpeter on a rare record is Booker Little. I have that record but I couldn't go beyond a statement that that trumpet player well might be Booker. I'm very confident that if KD were uncredited on a record I'd be able positively to identify him after hearing half a chorus or less.

Guest the mommy

what is incredible? i think valerieB seems to know some of these musicians on a more personal level so he or she probably can, despire jazz cat's protests, memorialize them on a level other than simply musical.

Kenny Dorham is one of my favorite trumpet players. His solos had a lyrical quality that , to my ears, told a story. His playing reaches me emotionally in a way that few other trumpet players can match. His compositions are also first rate.

"Lyrical" just about says it. I don't go too much for "Quiet Kenny" (a bit too subdued for my taste) but I find his albums done for the TIME label around 1960 really enjoyable (among other KD records I've heard - far from all, though).