Beer Test

RDK

I only got 5 right, but frankly - that's 3 or 4 more than I was expecting to get.

This despite the fact that I was a part-time bartender for two years around '92-'94. Never did develop a taste for beer, I'm afraid.

Killian's Red is "OK" I guess, but generally speaking, I only drink beer when there's no other choice, and/or when somebody else is buyin'.

I don't think I've paid for more than dozen beers in my whole life (heck, maybe not even half-a-dozen), with my own money (not counting my first year in college).

Vodka & Cranberry Juice is my typical drink these days.

no need to try, as I'm very much into some local beers (a tradition, which, hélas!, has been slowly but surely decaying over the last years in switzerland), and some other european ones.

How about a nice ol' Leffe?

Or some Jever?

Then, of course, there are some moments in life, where nothing but a Guiness is right...

ubu

Panther piss, yes. A Bud Jones original. I'm a little spikey because the current AOW isn't worthy enough for pinning.

What was that good lovin we drank in Mystic? Mystic Pale Ale or Mystic Ale or some shit. Good stuff from the tap, nonetheless.

Moose, that was shrugs with the Sammy Winter Welcome thread. Right around that same time, Mrs. Christmas won WIFE OF THE MILLENNIUM for bringing home -- unannouced and unexpectedly -- a CASE of the big bottles. I actually wept.

My current fave is an IPA called Bridgeport, brewed in Oregon. Heavy on the hops.

I got 9 right and a few of the ones I got wrong, like Miller High Life, PBR or Mexicali, might show up in my fridge after I'm dead & gone. I messed up Kirin somehow though... was that particular one a "ringer"? I could've sworn it used to be in a brown stubby back when I used to drink it. I haven't bought it it years since they started brewing it in California... maybe that's when it switched bottles?

BTW, they started getting the real Lowenbrau back on the shelves here in New Hampshire, not that Panther Pilsner that Miller made with the same name.

FYI, the Stooges worked at the Panther Pilsner brewery in one episode.:)

Later,

Kevin

Ron, Pilsner Urquell gets a nod from me, as well.

On the homefront, we're so fortunate to be able to buy some of the finest beer in the world, which is brewed in our capital ... Juneau. In addition, Anchorage has a handful of really cool brewpubs.

Among my favorites in bottles:

Amber6pk.jpg

Style:

Alt. The name of this beer style comes from the German word “alt” meaning “old”. This refers to the aging that alts undergo since they ferment more slowly and at colder temperatures than most ales. Slow fermentation helps condition the flavors in Alaskan Amber, contributing to its overall balance and smoothness.

Flavor Profile:

Richly malty and long on the palate, with just enough hop backing to make this beautiful amber colored “alt” style beer notably well balanced.

History:

Alaskan Amber is based on a recipe from a turn-of-the-century brewery in the Juneau area. It was voted “Best Beer in the Nation” in the 1988 Great American Beer Festival Consumer Poll.

Ingredients:

Water, malt, hops and yeast with no adjuncts, no preservatives and no pasteurization. Our glacier-fed water originates in the 1,500 square-mile Juneau Ice Field. The malt is a rich blend of premium two-row Pale and Crystal malts. Cascade hops from the Yakima Valley and imported Czechoslovakian Saaz hops impart bittering flavors and aromas.

ESB6pk.jpg

Style:

Extra Special Bitter Ale. Alaskan ESB is darker and hoppier and is brewed and fermented at different temperatures than our popular Alt-style Amber. It has an exquisite copper color derived from Crystal malt and an aggressive, yet pleasant hop character.

Flavor Profile:

Malty with roasted overtones, Alaskan ESB has a crisp finish resulting from the use of premium Northwest hops.

History:

Originally a popular seasonal, Alaskan ESB joined our year-round product line up in 1996.

Ingredients:

Water, malt, hops and yeast with no adjuncts, no preservatives and no pasteurization. Our glacier-fed water originates in the 1,500 square-mile Juneau Ice Field. Crafted from Crystal and two-row Pale malts, with cascade and Centennial hops.

Recommendations:

Complements spicy Asian and Mexican food, robust soups, stews and other winter fare. Ideal with wild game.

• 2 months later...