Sonny Rollins at the Kimmel Center Friday Dec. 1

felser

For my birthday (today, 52), my wife got us tickets to Sonny Rollins at the Kimmel Center this Friday, Dec. 1. It will be our first time at the Kimmel Center. Anyone else going? Anything I should know about the venue? Any suggestions on parking, dining? Looking forward to it. We saw him live at Penn's Landing ca. 1989-90 when we were dating, and enjoyed it immensely. 'Course that show was free, and this one is $59/ticket, but it should still be a nice night. Amazing woman, that wife of mine. I'm a blessed man.

I'll be there.

The Kimmel Center is GREAT. I've seen Sonny there twice before.

Parking and dining is a tougher question to answer. There are so many choices. You might want to narrow it down by mentioning your basic food preferences, price range, etc and whether you'd really prefer to walk to the show after eating. I don't know a ton of places in the city but someone else probably will.

I saw McCoy Tyner with Regina Carter a couple of weeks ago at The Kimmel. I had a great Fillet Mignon at Fri/Sat/Sun. This week I might go to Monk's Cafe to suck up some Belgian Ale.

Edited by LennyH

I'll be there too. There are plently of parking options. There's a lot at the Kimmel, one at 15th & Spruce, across the street on Broad & Pine, and many more. What kind of food do yo want to eat? Price?? Monk's Cafe is great but I seriously suggest that you make sure to get a reservation or you'll be SOL.

I'll be there too. There are plently of parking options. There's a lot at the Kimmel, one at 15th & Spruce, across the street on Broad & Pine, and many more. What kind of food do yo want to eat? Price?? Monk's Cafe is great but I seriously suggest that you make sure to get a reservation or you'll be SOL.

May not eat at all - if we do, looking for no reservations, reasonably quick in and out, lower price levels, kind of food not that important, just want it to be a step up from Wendy's or McDonald's and something we can get done and get to the show on time. I have to work my work day in Malvern and get home, then we have to make it into town from King of Prussia, and the Schuykill Expwy on a Friday evening can be nightmarish as you know. Would love to catch a bargain on parking if one is around. Our seats for the show are Door C Orch Tier Row E seats 120-121 if you, LennyH, or anyone else has a chance to stop by and meet us. I'll send you and LennyH PM's with our cell phone #.

Edited by felser

Good show, beautiful venue. Rollins hobbled out onto stage, looking his full 76 years old, played with tremendous power and vitality for over two hours, and then hobbled back off. Amazing and truly inspiring. Clifton Anderson played better than I've ever heard him. The Bob Cranshaw/Victor Lewis rhythm section was spectacular. Percussionist Kimati Dinizulu played well and was well integrated into the sound, but to me was somewhat superfluous because Lewis is so strong. The only player who didn't seem to fit well or have a good night was guitarist Bobby Broom. He is apparently a temporary member of the group, based on Rollins' stage announcements, and his heart didn't really seem in it to me. I like Broom as a guitarist, but he's more comfortable in organ combos. The tune selection, to me, was pretty unimaginative. It was nice to hear "Tenor Madness" as the encore, but I thought there were too many calypsos. Overall, a really nice experience, great way to spend a Friday night.

Couldn't have said it better myself, felser. I agree with you on every single point.

I've seen Sonny 4 times since 2000 and this is the longest he played. His energy was amazing. Song selection, as you said, lacked diversity. He came out and killed on G-Man but it was uneven the rest of the night, mostly due to his choice of tunes. I think the best I've seen him was at the Keswick Theater in 2000, although that band wasn't as solid as this one. Still great to see the man in action!

Clifton Anderson was very good.

I hoped to give you a ring before the show started but we just got there in time to get seated. We ate at Monk's around the corner, which was a total zoo.

An interesting discovery brought on by this thread: felser and I work in the same building :crazy:

Agree w/ everything above. I would add that of the 4 or 5 times I've seen him this was by far the most enthusiastic crowd that I've seen Sonny play for and he definitely fed off their energy. The last time he played at the Kimmel back in October 2004 he did 6 songs and was out of there in under 90 minutes. This time he did around 10 songs(I lost count) and played for 2 hours and then came back and did an encore of "Tenor Madness", which he encored w/ the last two times I saw him.

It was really great to see Butch Ballard get a special award. That guy is a living legend. He's played & recorded w/ Fats Waller, Duke, Pops, Count Basie, Ella(and many more). I think he's the only person, living or dead, who can claim that. One of the best nights of my life was getting a chance to watch a rehearsal for the Philly Jazz Legends Orchestra and then afterwards sit around w/ Butch, Leon Mitchell, Harrison Ridley, and a few other old timers and listen to their stories for a few hours. I'm so happy to see Butch get some l-o-n-g overdue recognition.

Also, it was nice of Sonny to dedicate the concert to Rufus Harley. What a class act.

Felser, sorry not to have caught up w/ you. I waited on the seal after the show until the crowd cleared out. It didn't occur to me that you might not know where it was located. Next time for sure.

Edited by Chalupa

butchballard.jpg

From a short article from philly.com

http://blogs.philly.com/blinq/

Before we go dumpster diving for some weekend tunes, attention must be paid to the bow-tied gentleman holding it down on our left.

Butch Ballard will be picking up a Mellon Jazz achievement award tonight before the Sonny Rollins concert at the Kimmel Center. Butch told Suzanne Cloud, president of the Jazz Bridge Project, that the $5,000 prize will go to a favorite charity.

Does the name sound familiar? Maybe you remember Butch Ballard from playing with both Duke Ellington and Count Basie. Catch him with Charlie Parker or Nina Simone? Trane? Maybe you know the Frankford-born drummer, now 87, from a wedding or a bar mitzvah. Ballard's kept time for them all.

Karl Stark wrote a closely observed profile of the man six years ago. I can't find it online in linkable form, but here's the nut:

Ballard is one of the Philadelphia jazz scene's most storied elders. Still playing local jazz clubs and private parties, he remains sought after for his unique resume, upbeat attitude and a scintillating rhythmic style forged in two of the greatest big bands.

"He's a chosen one," says Philadelphia-based singer Evelyn Sims, a frequent collaborator. "The last of the legends. "

Ballard would never describe himself that way. But he does claim to know a thing or two about jazz's essential elements.

"I always knew how to swing the band, and I always did it with the bands I worked with," he says. "That's my legacy - that's what I teach my students. `Make the band sound good. Don't sit back and entertain yourself. If you're not swingin' the band, it don't mean nothin'. "

The All Music Guide described him as one who "could make a snare drum sound as if it was being hit by a ball bearing."

Butch Ballard will be playing Dec. 7 at the Collingswood First Thursdays Jazz Concert Series. It's a party for his 88th birthday. (for info: 856-858-8914)

I saw Sonny in Miami a few months ago. This was the 3rd and best time I've seen him. He had the same band although I do not believe the percussion player was there. I thought Sonny was unbelievable. His mind must be so integrated into the possibilities of the song. Also, I thought Victor Lewis was the difference maker. He is also a master muscician. Bobby Broom was just fine when I saw him. I would think because he has been with Sonny was a few months that he is permanant (for now anyhow).