Thelonious in Action

Durium

Cover missing

theloiousinaction.jpg

At a record fair I bought a Riverside LP 12-262 with Thelonious Monk Quartet titled Thelonious in Action.

It's a pity that the cover is missing.

Maybe (one never knows, do one?) someone has a cover WITHOUT the record.

It is a great 1958 recording, featuring Johnny Griffin, live at the Five Spot Café in New York City.

More about this album.

Keep swinging

Durium

Edited by Durium

I may be opening myself to a broadside here, but I like In Action much more than the Carnagie Hall / Trane set.

I like them both quite a bit. Very different tenor players, of course, apples and oranges. I think Griff's work with Monk is underrated. I like both of the albums quite a bit.

I may be opening myself to a broadside here, but I like In Action much more than the Carnagie Hall / Trane set.

Me too! Wouldn't it be great if Concord gave the Monk/Griffin gigs the same treatment they gave the Red Garland Prelude set? Griffin was killin' when he was with Monk!

this reminds me of a story from my days working at a record store.

this was in the early 80's and i worked with an older gentleman who worked at record stores for his entire life starting in the 50's.

he worked at a downtown record store when ray charles first country lp came out, and they could not sell it.

people would come in, ask for it, look at the cover, and put it back.

he told his manager to take the records out of the sleeve, and tell people the sleeves were coming in at a later date.

they couldn't keep them in the door.

we've come a long way.

It's not the diference in the tenor players, but the In Action organization sound so much more like a group, if you know what I mean.

Besides, I love Comin' On The Hudson and Light Blue!

shadowwilsoncoltrane.jpg

Malik has that scowl reminiscent of Mingus on the cover of MONEY JUNGLE.

"Don't mess with me, motherf****r!" :g

this reminds me of a story from my days working at a record store.

this was in the early 80's and i worked with an older gentleman who worked at record stores for his entire life starting in the 50's.

he worked at a downtown record store when ray charles first country lp came out, and they could not sell it.

people would come in, ask for it, look at the cover, and put it back.

he told his manager to take the records out of the sleeve, and tell people the sleeves were coming in at a later date.

they couldn't keep them in the door.

we've come a long way.

I don't remember the cover. What didn't people like about it ?

Something about the color, I suspect.

something abou the color of the performer, and your average country music fan of the 60's to be exact.

Downtown where? How could you live anywhere large enough to have a downtown and not know Ray Charles wasn't White. What'd I say and Georgia on my Mind were all over the radio and even some tv previous to the country records.

downtown cincinnati.

which at the time was surrounded by some very rural country, especially in kentucky.

there are still people today with all of the media sturation that will go into a record store, and know the song that they are looking for, but not know who did it.

if people heard a song on country radio, and stopped into the record store looking for that song - i could see them being surprised that the singer was a black man.

not to thread crap - as if i already didn't - but the same older guy got his first job working for sid nathan (founder of king records), and on his first day of work sid came in looking for someone to go to lunch with.

everyone else scattered (sid was not necessarily well liked), and my old coworker was the last one left standing.

he was forced to go to lunch with sid. once lunch was over they went back to the car and sat for a few minutes. my friend finally worked up enough nerve to ask sid if he was going to start the car

to which sid replied, "there's still 10 goddamn minutes left on the meter, and i'll be damned if i'll give them to anyone else".

• 2 weeks later...

Because of all the positive discussion here I got this in cd. I liked it but didn't think it compared to the Monk/Coltrane concert until I got to In Walked Bud on which Johnny Griffin takes an amazing solo. However I just realized that that cut isn't on the Lp: it's a bonus track on the cd from a sesson Monk and Keepnews originally thought wasn't suitable for release!