Is JIMMY GUIUFFRE this biggest traditor(sic) to WEST COAST JAZZ?

chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez

I have yet to hear Free Fall. But I do have the double CD on ECM - and can hear links between it and the likes of Traditionalism Revisted.

Free Fall's quite the quantum leap beyond the first two albums -- I'm not sure I "like" it (I certainly don't put it on the stereo as often) but it's still a jaw-dropping accomplishment, so totally unlike anything else in jazz then & far in advance of the European improv scene. But do get hold of the Hatology twofer of Emphasis and Flight--on balance, maybe my favourite recordings by this band from this period (never really warmed to the 1980s/1990s reunion discs).

was just listening 2 FREE FALL.....

...not only is it on COLUMBIA RECORDS (a non west coast jazz record label), but its crazy ass euro style free improv- no west coast jazz whatsoever. WHAT HAPPENED TO HIM. did he just get sick of writing tasty arrangements for people like anita o'day and the lighthouse all stars and decide to go crazy? or is there more to it than that.

LETS TALK ABOUT IT!!!!

Don't know anything about his motivation, but find it a fascinating career development. If you have his Mosaic set covering the Capitol and Atlantic sessions, you can follow the transition very clearly.

I'd say just a great, exploratory spirit who moved on, and following on this path is very rewarding. His way to free style playing was totally different to that of Trane, Taylor, or Ornette, and just as valid.

Yea, I have never considered West Coast contradictory to crazy ass Euro style free improv. :D

I think that one of the most interesting points that Ted Gioia makes in his West Coast Jazz book is that the West Coast scene was first and foremost about experimentation and taking chances. They didn't all pay off. But Guiffre is a prime example of someone who always seemed to be looking for something else, and having the guts to do something about it.

I never cared about that East Coast/West Coast controversy.

The music is what really matters! Don't care that much where it comes from!

Interesting comments all and while I have just recently refused to slide into that East Coast vs. West Coast trap with other board members, I was struck by comments made by Bud Shank in the liner notes he wrote for his Live at the Haig release on Candid. There he said:

".....During that time, 1951 to 1956 she ( The Haig ) was the maternal godparent of the Gerry Mulligan Quartet, Chet Baker Quartet, Laurindo Almida Quartet, Shorty Rogers Quintet and the Bud Shank Quartet. All were born there. Many others played there, among them were Lee Konitz, Shelly Manne, Bob Brookmeyer, Hampton Hawes, Jimmy Giuffre, Jim Hall, Teddy Edwards, Stan Getz, Red Norvo, "Sweets" Edison and Erroll Garner. ....................Many of those named above were musicians directly or indirectly connected with a period which our writer/historian friends refer to as "West Coast Jazz". Most certainly the music of Los Angeles of the early "50's was much softer, possibly a little more sophisticated, than the music of New York of the same period (with the exception of Miles Davis's "Birth of the Cool" album). It seems to have skipped back over a generation (be- bop) to the rhythmic feeling of the late '30's ( Count Basie, Lester Young, The Kansas City Seven ) ....added another dimension melodically and harmonically, added a bit of humor..and the Eastern critics called it " West Coast Jazz." Some of it was good-some of it was cutesy nonsense.....By 1956, .....we were starting to get away from that soft sophistication. Not me. I'm still doing early 1950's plus a heavy dose of Lee Konitz ( a New Yorker who made a big impression on Paul Desmond, Art Pepper and obviously, me)....Things were starting to change. By the end of the '50's be-bop had again become the dominant force among most West Coasters and Bossa Nova was just around the corner."

I hope you find these comments as interesting as I did. Just Bud Shank's opinion but at least he was there! Seems to me that all of the quoted comments are correct. That East Coast vs. West Coast thing is a can of worms!

Edited by Morganized