Bird lps i just got

Are the "In Sweden" sessions those where they cut out most of the solos by the other players (the Swedish backup group)? (Sort of "Dean Benedetti syndrome" again ;) )

They have been reissued many times over in various guises (I bought these live cuts as a SPANISH pressing on the Storyville label many years ago).

And whatever this Boris Rose can be blamed/praised for, I do not think he was involved in those Swedish recordings. He may have been everywhere, but in Sweden at exactly that time? And besides, the Swedish tracks were issued pretty early on, not only in more recent years.

Those LPs were not made in Sweden but in the USA. Boris Rose obviously liked those Scandinavian names.

Another famous album he put out was the Charlie Christian/Wardell Gray album 'Tribute from Sweden' on the Fran Staterna label.

That LP had various tracks including airchecks by the Benny Goodman sextet with Charlie Christian. Also airchecks by BG with Wardell Gray.

Those LPs were not made in Sweden but in the USA. Boris Rose obviously liked those Scandinavian names.

Another famous album he put out was the Charlie Christian/Wardell Gray album 'Tribute from Sweden' on the Fran Staterna label.

That LP had various tracks including airchecks by the Benny Goodman sextet with Charlie Christian. Also airchecks by BG with Wardell Gray.

When I have the time I will have to dig through my old (late 50s/early 60s) copies of ORKESTER JOURNALEN. I may be wrong but I seem to remember I saw a review of a live recording LP from the 1950 tour of Bird in Sweden there. May have included the tracks I bought on that Spanish pressing in 1983.

I have the "Fran Staterna" (no rec. #) album with Christian and Gray. It's an odd one and from what I have been able to find out not all of it was new to vinyl.

@John L:

When I mentioned Benedetti, I meant to say that it clearly said in the liner notes of the pressing I mentioned that certain solos by soloists other than Parker had been edited out (and whoever wrote the liner notes even claimed some had been edited because "they were of no great interest". A pretty bold claim with that all-star lineup). So this is why I asked if this also was the case on the LP that chewy has.

give chewy some time- i also got the complete persing hotel 1950 last week u know!! i want that zorpistraians rqanch cd now too- do u guy have that one--- tyhat is some serious west coast jazz. c.p. is the only person who can cross over. yea. i 'went' there!!

PS- big beat steve- r u going 2 be in germany near any of these areas in any of the following days and if so can i stay w/ u

15 June - Hamburg, Germany AOL Arena

23 June - Hannover, Germany AWD Arena

26 June - Dusseldorf, Germany LTU Arena

27 June - Dusseldorf, Germany LTU Arena

29 June - Stuttgart, Germany Gottlieb-Daimler-Stadium

3 July - Berlin, Germany Olympiastadion

4 July - Leipzig, Germany Zentralstadion

5 July - Frankfurt, Germany Commerzbank Arena

10 July - Munich, Germany Olympiastadion

in fact i dont even need to stay w/ u all a really need to know is how easy/hard/expensive it is to travel to those places on train, i guess is the medium there, is it pretty easy, and cheap, or hard/expensive. the closest ive been to germany is arizona. i usually travel up/down not left n right, u dig?

When I have the time I will have to dig through my old (late 50s/early 60s) copies of ORKESTER JOURNALEN. I may be wrong but I seem to remember I saw a review of a live recording LP from the 1950 tour of Bird in Sweden there. May have included the tracks I bought on that Spanish pressing in 1983.

Unless I'm wrong somewhere, those Swedish sessions were first issued in Sweden in the early '50s on Oktav and Sonet. They were reissued later in England by Spotlite.

The Crazed Olaf vinyl that chewy picked up was obviously lifted by Boris Rose from one of these early Swedish vinyls.

Latest incarnation from these Swedish sessions was the Storyville CD 'Charlie Parker in Sweden 1950, The Complete Recordings' that came out a couple of years ago.

B0000245KP.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

You sure sound like you know what you're talkin' about, Tex, dontcha? :D :D

I'd say it's neither as dry nor as hot nor as empty here as in Arizona (which may be a good thing or not, depending how you look at it ... ;) )

Anyway, Chewy, we'll see about your trip over here in due course - OK?

@brownie:

So I wasn't too far off remembering these recordings from the Bird's Swedish tour had already been released legitimately in Sweden in the 50s ... Of course who'd figure this Boris Rose would take his material from legit issues, not only from tapes. By the way, could it be that there also was a Charlie Parker release (with similar cover "artwork") similar to that "Fran Staterna" release featuring Christian and Gray?

@brownie:

So I wasn't too far off remembering these recordings from the Bird's Swedish tour had already been released legitimately in Sweden in the 50s ... Of course who'd figure this Boris Rose would take his material from legit issues, not only from tapes. By the way, could it be that there also was a Charlie Parker release (with similar cover "artwork") similar to that "Fran Staterna" release featuring Christian and Gray?

BBS, don't think these early Swedish releases were legit. Charlie Parker was under contract with Norman Granz and Mercury/Clef records at the time.

As for the Charlie Parker release similar to Fran Staterna, I did not collect these items - they were so many of those - but the ones I saw sure looked as if they had been manufactured from the same plant line :o

The only reference to "Crazed Olaf" in the Swedish Jazz Discography is this session:

Rolf Ericson (tp); Charlie Parker (as); Gösta Theselius (p); Thore Jederby (b); Jack Norén (dr)

"Amiralen", Malmö, Nov 22, 1950

Anthropology

Cheers

Lover Man

Cool Blues

Released on: Oktav OKTLP164, Collector JGN1002, Scan JPG-2, Crazed Olaf CPACS195, Spotlite 124/125, Xanadu 122

http://www.visarkiv.se/jazzdiskografi/jazzdiskografi_P.pdf

EDIT: Corrected recording date.

Edited by Daniel A

are u guys familar w/ these releases- they looked 2 good (and cheap) to pass up

1) BIRDS PERCH LIVE feat. LOVER comeback to me (20 minutes)

PARKTEC records, rollo, TX

rec. by DR CLAUDE DONKKE- THERES A PIC OF HIM ON THE BACK w/ BIRD

AND: a copy of a note from bird in which bird expresses how gassed he is at the good quality rec. he made of the 20 min lover com eback to me.

Oh...my...god...

I have seen that record, and there's something very weird about it.

First of all, the picture isn't that cat w/Bird - it's a picture of some mentally ill looking cat who put himself in front of a blow-up of the pic of Bird & Billy Eckstine at Birdland(?) & took a picture of that.

In the second place - there is no such place as "Rollo, Tx".

In the third place, that note is not by Bird. Definitely not.

In the fourth place, Dr. Donkke didn't make these recordings. I'm pretty sure that there is no Dr. Donkke.

In the fifth place, I'm told that there's something in the occult that has to do with a donkey hoof, some sort of ritual or something. So, "Claude Donkke" could maybe be read as "clawed donkey". Admittedly, this one is a stretch, but everything else about that record is so creepy that I'm alllowing it.

Back in college, I met a chick from California who had this side. She was a bit of a Bird buff, had some otehr boots, but thought this one was a little weird. When I looked at it, the "photo" of Dr. Donkke w/Bird immediately creeped me out - the photo's obviosuly a very cheap forgery, the cat really does look mentally unstable, and the "note from Bird" is desperately poorly written. I got a vibe immediately, and set about finding out of Rollo, Tx really existed. It didn't, So one thing led to another, and I found out about the alleged occult ritual (still not fully buying into that one, but...).

Anyway, this is not your typical Bird bootleg. Who in the hell would go to the trouble of creating obviously fake photos & forged letters, none of which even faintly suggested the remotest chance of authenticity? Eitehr somebody with a warped sense of humor or somebody who really was a little bit or more off. The whole thing was just....creepy.

Anyway, I gave the chick her record back & told her she could have it because it was weirding me out, Bird or no Bird.

True story, I swear.

According to the discography included in the Bird Box Parktec 4267 includes:

Lover Come Back to Me May/June 1950 Cafe Society - Tony Scott-cl, Parker-as, Brew Moore-tn, Dick Hyman-pn, Chuck Wayne or Mundell Lowe-gt, probablyLeonard Gaskin-bs, Ed Shaughnessy-dr

I Can't Get Started - July 1950 unknown location - Parker-as, Bernie Leighton-pn, Ray Brown-bs, Buddy Rich-dr

Dance of the Infidels - May 1953 unknown location - Parker-as, Bud Powell-pn, Charles Mingus-bs, Max Roach-dr

Ornithology

Cheryl

KoKo

Bird of Paradise - Carnegie Hall Dec 24, 1949 - Red Rodney-tp, Parker-as, Al Haig-pn, Tommy Potter-bs, Roy Haynes-dr

The last broadcast includes Now's the Time on other issues (Alamac)

All of titles on Parktec 4267 were included in the Bird Box. The info on the back of Parktec 4267 makes mention of Carnegie Hall. The funniest thing, to me, is the quote on the back of Parktec 4267

"Most noted Dutch discographer and Ornithologist, Ronald van Heeswijk has stated - "Exciting Bird from tail to beak. Our Bird never laid an egg!" "

@ JSGRY: was she hot?

She was a nice girl. Alto player actually, not yet really good, & all the guys made fun of her for wanting to be a player.

I've seen a lot of different type bootlegs over the years, and some are certainly "unusual". But that Parktec thing is the only one that's given me the shivers.

is bird to bootleg jazz lps as to what bob dylan was to rock, if you know what i mean? I NEED MORE BIRD. i dont even have the bendedii set, or the Birds eyes series. and when will more of all this stuff finally be issued. its about time dagnamit

Do you have Summit Meeting at Birdland (Columbia LP)?

The jam session with Chet Baker and Sonny Criss?

The JATP date that came out in the last couple of years with Sonny Criss (with the special bonus small group cuts with Coleman Hawkins and Fats Navarro)?

The 1947 Carnegie Hall concert (with Dizzy)?

The 1949 Carnegie Hall concert (with Red Rodney)?

give chewy some time- i also got the complete persing hotel 1950 last week u know!! i want that zorpistraians rqanch cd now too- do u guy have that one--- tyhat is some serious west coast jazz. c.p. is the only person who can cross over. yea. i 'went' there!!

The Perishing Hotel 1950 is INCREDIBLE (IMO) I keep coming back to that one. The complete tracks from the last set have circulated for some time on Savoy (with terrible overdubs and repeats to make it longer) and on the "Bird in Chicago" LP. But some of what Bird played during the earlier sets (released by the first time as far as I know) is unbelievable.

On the subject of the Sweden recordings from 1950, I think that they are highly worthwhile. The version of Bird in Paradise from Sweden needs to be heard by all.