Walter Booker RIP

Stereojack

I'm delighted to see the many posts to this thread. For all these years I thought I was the only guy who really liked him.

One of his recordings that hasn't been mentioned yet is Wayne Shorter's Super Nova.

He played a number of times at the Caravan of Dreams back in the mid-1980s, usually with Larry Willis on piano and Idris Muhammad on drums--a terrific rhythm section, playing with the likes of Freddie Hubbard, David Newman and Roy Hargrove.

I was just listening to a Thurman Green cd on Mapleshade that has Mr. Booker on it this morning and then I find this thread. I know that change is inevitable and we will always have the records to enjoy and remember, but it's still sad to see so many go in the last few years. RIP and save me a seat when it's my time to go.

More love for Walter Booker! He's rated an obituary in the LA Times!

Walter Booker, 72; played bass with Adderleys, Vaughan

From Times Staff and Wire Reports

November 29, 2006

Walter Booker, 72, a double bass player who performed with jazzmen Cannonball Adderley and Nat Adderley and mentored young musicians at his Boogie Woogie Studio in New York, died at his home in Manhattan on Nov. 24 after suffering cardiac arrest, said his wife, pianist Bertha Hope.

Born in Prairie View, Texas, on Dec. 17, 1933, Booker began playing the double bass at age 26 when he was in the Army.

After leaving the service, he joined a quintet that caught the attention of Cannonball Adderley.

Booker's playing was marked by voice-like inflections, glissandos and techniques such as tremolo. He often danced while playing, Hope said.

In a decades-long career, Booker played with a long list of jazz giants. One of his first jobs was touring with the Shirley Horn Trio.

After moving to New York City in 1964, Booker worked with Donald Byrd and later with Stan Getz. In the 1960s Booker performed with such jazz artists as Sonny Rollins, Ray Bryant, Art Farmer, Milt Jackson, Chick Corea and Thelonius Monk.

In 1969, Cannonball Adderley invited Booker to join his group, where he remained until Adderley's death in 1975. From 1975 until 1981, Booker performed with Sarah Vaughan. During those years, he also recorded with such artists as Betty Carter and Billy Higgins.

From 1981 to 1983, he worked with John Hicks. In later years, he joined the Nat Adderley Trio and remained with the group until Nat Adderley's death in 2000.

For 15 years, he also ran a free studio where young musicians were able to learn and "were free to explore their creativity," Hope said.

In recent years, Booker performed with the Bertha Hope Trio, the Walter Booker Quintet and Elmollenium.

Purely by coincidence I bought this CD just a few weeks before Walter Booker died.

Walter Booker Quintet - Bookie's Cookbook - Mapleshade 07232

with Marcus Belgrave, Roni-Ben Hur, Larry Willis, Leroy Williams

It's a nice one.

That Bertha Hope group I saw had Walter Booker, Roni-Ben Hur and Leroy Williams in it, playing the music of Elmo Hope. Glad I caught them !

Also saw Walter on one other occasion in a Cannonball Adderley tribute at the Playboy Fest in LA. If my memory is right this one had Roy McCurdy and George Duke completing the rhythm team. Nat Adderley was scheduled to play but was sadly wheelchair bound after illness :( (he very graciously came on stage for the duration of the performance though).

Edited by sidewinder

Purely by coincidence I bought this CD just a few weeks before Walter Booker died.

It's a nice one.

Also saw Walter on one other occasion in a Cannonball Adderley tribute at the Playboy Fest in LA. If my memory is right this one had Roy McCurdy and George Duke completing the rhythm team. Nat Adderley was scheduled to play but was sadly wheelchair bound after illness :( (he very graciously came on stage for the duration of the performance though).

yes, i remember that concert well. nat, however, was never expected to play as he was far too ill at that time.

It's a nice one.

yes, i remember that concert well. nat, however, was never expected to play as he was far too ill at that time.

Indeed. I count myself as really lucky just to clatch a glimpse of him as he waved out at the audience. I had binocs on me from back in the bleachers and it was good to see him groovin' along to the music (which was great on that 30 minute set). It was real sad regarding his medical problems at the time.

• 2 weeks later...