Walter Booker RIP

Stereojack

I'm very sad about this. Walter Booker was my first favorite bassist. I think I first heard him on the Ray Bryant album Gotta Travel On. A couple of years later I saw him with Thelonious Monk, and a year later with Cannonball Adderley, when I was fortunate enough to interview him for my college radio station. Nice guy.

RIP.

Isn't Walter Booker the bassist on Andrew Hill's quartet recording with Sam Rivers (to be reissued next year as Change)? He is a monster on that recording — blew me away when I heard it for the first time.

He's also great on Rollins' On Impulse. Sad news indeed, but it looks like he left a fine legacy for us all to enjoy.

What other notable sessions did Booker grace?

bookie was my friend mostly in the '60s and '70s although i saw him a few years ago and from time to time. i have many wonderful memories of these years. he was sweet, charming, warm and totally fun-loving. and, of course, last but not least, a very talented musician. he gave his all to every performance. he was married to a friend of mine for years and they produced a magnificent son who is at this moment touring with sergio mendes. my best memories are during the years bookie was with cannonball. whether it was in ny, l.a., s.f., we partied hearty! i often reminisce with zawinul, george duke or roy mccurdy, who i plan to see tonight to celebrate his 70th birthday. we all loved bookie. you couldn't help but love him. he had all the attributes of the loving saggitarius he was.

i'm sure he's already got the party started up there! party, on, my friend.

Edited by ValerieB

Some of the other sessions that were graced by Walter Booker's talent:

- the two Riverside albums by the JFK Quintet

- Harold Vick 'Caribbean Suite'

- Robin Kenyatta 'Until'

- Milt Jackson 'Born Free'

- Pete La Roca 'Turkish Women at the Bath'

- Lee Morgan 'The Procrastinator'

- Joe Zawinul 'Zawinul'

- Betty Carter 'Now It's My Turn'

- Junior Cook 'Good Cookin''

- Nick Brignola 'Burn Brigade'

- Clifford Jordan 'Repetition'

all those Cannonball Adderley (and Nat Adderley) albums and so many more...

Guest youmustbe

I talked to him a year ago and told him how I could never figure out how he got such a big tone, almost like an electric bass out of the acoustic, what with his fingering. He laughed!

I'm delighted to see the many posts to this thread. For all these years I thought I was the only guy who really liked him.

One of his recordings that hasn't been mentioned yet is Wayne Shorter's Super Nova.

i remember well when that was recorded. bookie accompanied his then wife, maria, on the guitar when she sang dindi. she was very pregnant with their son, krishna and broke down and cried on that tune and they kept it in!