January 2007 Mosaics

J.A.W.

I couldn't find a previous thread about this, so here goes - according to the Mosaic site the following sets and single CDs are now scheduled for release in January 2007:

Mosaic Select

McCoy Tyner (3 CDs)

This set contains all six sessions recorded by Tyner for Blue Note between August 1968 and September 1970. This includes "Expansions," "Extension," "Asante" and three sessions not issued at the time which later appeared on the double album "Cosmos." This was one of Tyner's most overlooked and highly creative periods.

Bobby Hutcherson (3 CDs)

This Select gathers all of Bobby Hutcherson's straight-ahead Blue Note studio sessions from the '70s (Cirrus, Inner Glow, Waiting, The View From The Inside and Knucklebean). Issued in the heyday of fusion, these superb albums received little notice and quickly sank from sight. Sidemen on these 1974-76 sessions include Woody Shaw, Freddie Hubbard, Harold Land and George Cables. The especially rare Inner Glow was released only in Japan. All five albums are on CD for the first time in this set.

Mosaic Singles

Jimmy Witherspoon – Goin’ to Kansas City Blues (MCD-1011)

Talk about a forgotten little gem! Jimmy Witherspoon’s first full-length album as a leader is a knock-out! Like all great albums, this 1957 date benefits from a confluence of all the right ingredients. The most inspired notion for this album was reuniting Witherspoon with McShann, who gave him his professional start. Budd Johnson provided swinging, understated arrangements and a first-rate New York group (Emmett Berry, J. C. Higginbotham, Hilton Jefferson, Seldon Powell, Al Sears, Kenny Burrell, Gene Ramey and Mousey Alexander) that achieved the tight, joyous feel of Kansas City swing effortlessly. Added to the original album are three more tunes from the session that were later issued on a French RCA LP. For 11 of the 13 tunes, we were able to find stereo masters for the first time.

Various Artists – The Jazz Piano (MCD-1012)

The “various artists” on this album read like the history of jazz piano: Willie “The Lion” Smith, Earl Hines, Duke Ellington, Mary Lou Williams, Billy Taylor and Charles Bell. The occasion was a piano workshop on a Sunday afternoon at the Pittsburgh Jazz Festival in 1965, obviously a time when giants still walked the earth. The original album contains only ten tunes. This reissue contains all 19 performances, newly remixed from the original three-track masters, adding new material from Smith, Williams, Taylor and Bell. The concert is now presented in the order in which it was performed. Each pianist performs solo or with bassist Larry Gales and drummer Ben Riley. Earl Hines duets with Ellington on an improvised blues and with Taylor on “Sweet Lorraine.” The concert closes with a blow-out version of “Rosetta” with Hines, Smith, Williams, Taylor and George Wein sharing two pianos. A one-of-a-kind event.

Woody Herman – Woody’s Winners(MCD – 1013)

Woody Herman made more than his share of great live albums in his lifetime, but this 1965 remote from Basin Street West in San Francisco was one of his best. It not only produced Woody’s Winners, but three more titles appeared on Woody Live East And West and another five appeared on Jazz Hoot. Now all 16 performances are gathered on this one CD for the first time, newly remixed from the original three-track tapes.

Edited by J.A.W.

I've been waiting for the Tyner for some time. It'll be nice to hear, one session after another. (I sold off my single sessions so long ago that some of the music will be like I'm hearing it for the first time!)

The Herman, of which I've only heard part of, should be excellent as well. The track "23 Red" is fairly amazing.

I think people are going to enjoy the 'Inner Glow' material on the Hutcherson set !

Already have much of the Hutcherson and all of the Tyner on vinyl or CD so I'll likely pass. Both sets will be great.

Thinking about it - I don't have 'Waiting' and 'View From The Inside'. :unsure: Thoughts anyone? Worth getting this Select for those sessions?

Edited by sidewinder

Thinking about it - I don't have 'Waiting' and 'View From The Inside'. :unsure: Thoughts anyone? Worth getting this Select for those sessions?

I'm not a Hutcherson completist. Don't have those two. Will need to be pushed in a big way to get this Select. I have the other Hutch albums that complete the set.

Those are two good, not great, albums. I don't know if I'd buy this set just to get them, but they're certainly not a reason not to get it either.

There's a secondhand Hutcherson at Montreux CD available at Yahoo Shopping. $55 is the asking price :(

I'll wait until the US dollar goes really down!

The dollar has fallen sharply against the euro this week; the current exchange rate is $1 = €0.76 / €1 = $1.31

Never heard of this Spoon 1957 date. Looks like my first Mosaic Single. What label did it originally issue on? Anyone know?

MG

This is a really nice date recorded in two separate sessions in April and May, 1957, and released on RCA. Features Witherspoon with a nonette with Jay McShann, Ray Copeland or Emmett Berry, J.C. Higginbotham, Hilton Jefferson, Seldon Powell, Heywood Henry or Al Sears, Kenny Burrell, Gene Ramey, and Mousy Alexander.

I have a 10-track CD of this released by RCA/BMG in 1994, but I want to get the Mosaic release for the extra cuts.

Never heard of this Spoon 1957 date. Looks like my first Mosaic Single. What label did it originally issue on? Anyone know?

MG

This is a really nice date recorded in two separate sessions in April and May, 1957, and released on RCA. Features Witherspoon with a nonette with Jay McShann, Ray Copeland or Emmett Berry, J.C. Higginbotham, Hilton Jefferson, Seldon Powell, Heywood Henry or Al Sears, Kenny Burrell, Gene Ramey, and Mousy Alexander.

I have a 10-track CD of this released by RCA/BMG in 1994, but I want to get the Mosaic release for the extra cuts.

Thanks Hank - explains why I never heard of it. I don't follow major labels.

MG

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone heard when it is actually shipping? I am probably going to drop them a quick note if no one else has any news.

Please do and let us know what they say....

They said probably late Jan. Too bad, as I was really hoping to pick the Hutcherson up on a quick trip to the States the third week of Jan. I guess I'll get it in March then.