ELP covers (rips off) Big John Patton?

Jim Alfredson

once at an elp concert in the middle of tarkus i saw the whole worl fall apart

TARKUS ! :eye:

Wasn't that the one with the Armadillo on the cover with tank tracks? Regularly cited as one of the worst albums ever. I'm sure albums like this spurred on the advancement of punk rock no end. :lol:

Yeah, that cover is hilarious.

As far as the album -- the suite is actually damn good, especially the instrumental bits. Give it another listen. Side 2, on the other hand, is quite bad.

As far as ELP being pretentious -- yeah, I guess. But I've never been bothered very much by that label. Their sin was making lots of music that hasn't held up, not taking themselves too seriously. (And I have to imagine that any band making music so over-the-top did it tongue-in-cheek at least some of the time.)

My favorite ELP album is the first one -- "The Three Fates" (!!!), "The Knife Edge" (or whatever the Janacek-derived piece is called), "Take a Pebble", "The Barbarian". Nice stuff.

Guy

Edited by Guy

So, just to get back to the topic, I am being asked to consider it a 'rip-off' when a prog rock band covers a jazz organ tune and the album compilers don't give the correct composition credit?

Anyway, it's all there on the brain-salad website.

Well, I already said in my initial post that perhaps it is the fault of the boxset producers, although I was under the impression that at least Emerson had serious input when it came to that set.

As far as it being a rip-off, I seriously doubt the Patton and Green estates received any deserved royalties from the sale of the boxset because of the incorrect writing credits. So in that light, yeah, it's a rip-off. Back in 1993, when that set came out, Patton was still alive and active and I'm sure he could've used that money.