ELP covers (rips off) Big John Patton?

Jim Alfredson

So I was watching me some ELP (Emerson Lake and Palmer) on

this evening, having a good laugh, and decided to dig out some of their stuff and listen to it while I did some graphic design work. I haven't listened to this stuff in earnest in probably 12 years. I used to be into them in high school.

Anyway, I'm listening to this compilation of theirs called "Return of the Manticore" which has some unreleased stuff on it and I get to this tune called "Bo Diddley". And I'm listening and I say to myself, "Holy crap, they just totally ripped off Big John Patton's The Yodel." Seriously. Here's a snippet of The Yodel from the Grassella Oliphant disc with Patton and Grant Green. It's not the best version of the tune by them, but I can't find my copy of Got A Good Thing Going On right now, so it'll have to do:

BJP - The Yodel

And here's Emerson, Lake, and Palmer doing Bo Diddley:

ELP - Bo Diddley

:lol:

That Grasella Oliphant record, which I believe came out before Patton's solo album, is from 1967. Considering ELP didn't even form until 1970-71, I think it's pretty obvious which tune came first. Now granted, the song was unreleased and maybe the producers of the box set just found this tune, un-named, on a reel of tape and took the name from the obvious Bo Diddley-beat drum thing going on, but still... the credits in the CD list it as being written by ELP.

At least we know Emerson was listening to good organists!

R U CRAZY OF COURSE K.E. KNOWS B.J.P.- HE ALSO SAID THAT HIS ORGAN SOUND, HE WANTED TO RECREATE THE ORGAN SOUND FROM BROTHER JACK mCDUFFS LIVE ALBUM, SPECIFICALLY ON "ROCK CANDY". I KNOW AS A FACT KEITH EMERSON LIKES BIG JOHN. HERE IS A LITTLE HANDY CHART IVE JUST MADE UP JUST 4 U SO YOULL KNOW FROM NOW OWN:

PROG ROCK KEYBOARDISTS WHO TOLD ME THEY --DO-- LIKE B.J.P.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

KEITH EMERSON

STEVIE WINWOOD (also asked him if u likes the baby face, and he was all r u kidding me of course i do)

THE ORGANIST FOR DEEP PURPLE, NOT JON LORD, BUT THE GUY WHO REPLACED HIM, Don Airey (he specifically mentioned "the silver meter")

MATTHEW FISHER- he said he hated geoff keezers opening set on fender rhodes but he does like big john, although his favorite organist was Booker T.

AND THERE ARE OTHERS I CANT REMEMBER I DONT RECALL EVERY CONCERT IVE BEEN TO AT A MOMENTS NOTICE< BUT ILL WRITE EM WHEN THEY COME TO ME

PROG ROCK KEYBOARDS WHO TOLD ME THEY **DONT** LISTEN TO B.J.P

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RICK WAKEMAN (he said the only jazz he ever listeted to was dixieland revival

whoa whoa wahoa whaowhoahwoahoawhaowhowahoawhohwohwohwaohowahwohawoh so i just listened 2 that!!!!! had the maticore box yrs ago- dont anymore. *****THAT IS ELP COVERING BIG JOHN*******!!!!!! (ive also heard robert walters do it)...but THAT IS ELP COVERING BIG JOHN!!!!!!!!! OH FUCKING ASS HELL YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HOW COOL IS THAT OR WHAT- THE ONLY THING COOLER THAN ELP COVERING BIG JOHN WOULD BE PHIL COLLINS COVERING HANK MOBLEY!!! ***HELL*** YEAH!!!!

oh i allways give the big john shoutout!!!!! im all yea you may be keith emerson, but what the hells up w/ the big john patton! it really does kinda bring us on the same page and then after that its easier to ask the real hard questions like when the hell r u going to play brain salad surgery again

oh i allways give the big john shoutout!!!!! im all yea you may be keith emerson, but what the hells up w/ the big john patton! it really does kinda bring us on the same page and then after that its easier to ask the real hard questions like when the hell r u going to play brain salad surgery again

I imagine things got a little awkward with Rick Wakeman.

Guy

I hate Keith Emerson...I like Greg Lake...but Emerson REALLY makes my teeth soft.

I like Greg Lake in certain contexts, but Emerson was IMHO the best part of the band and easily the most interesting musically.

Guy

Bit of ELP trivia. That 'Fanfare For The Common Man' was arranged I believe by John Mayer. Of Harriott/Mayer 'Indo-Jazz Fusions' fame !

I think Palmer was the weakest link. Some of those live videos up on YouTube are hilarious. His time is all over the place.

Emerson is obviously a great musician technically speaking, but his playing very rarely has any emotional impact on me. There are exceptions, like some of his piano playing on the first studio ELP record (Trilogy?) and every now and then he plays some pretty cool licks on the organ.

I think Palmer was the weakest link. Some of those live videos up on YouTube are hilarious. His time is all over the place.

When I heard them here in NJ in '92 or '93, I remember hearing him rush up to the solo in Tank. It gave me the same feeling as wow and flutter on a bad turntable, but without the pitch problems.

Emerson is obviously a great musician technically speaking, but his playing very rarely has any emotional impact on me. There are exceptions, like some of his piano playing on the first studio ELP record (Trilogy?) and every now and then he plays some pretty cool licks on the organ.

The first album came out in 71, Trilogy was their third studio album in '72 (w/Tarkus in between). I like those early ELP albums, but while I love them for nostalgia, most of the composing doesn't hold up.

I heard a Emerson solo show a few years ago, too much focus on the Nice and way too many "let's see how many quotes I can fit in to a solo!" for me. He has a good ear for nice tones, but ya gotta back it up with something real.