Thanksgiving Day Menu

under $20 turkey day

my menu

12 lbs Turkey $6.00 (.47 a lb) (i might a extra turkey at that price)

Stuffing $1 (Stove Top)

Dressing/Gravy $1 (Heinz)

Fresh Steamed Green Beans (on sale i still need to buy)

Cranberry Sauce $1 (Ocean Spray)

Cherry Pie $3 (Sara Lee)

Cool Whip $1

anyone not begun defrosting their bird yet?

i started saturday afternoon

Edited by Soulstation1

No turkey. But a vegetarian Thanksgiving can be tasty!

Here's a shepherd's pie that was pretty good last year. Serves about eight people:

• Six croissants, sliced in half length-wise -- use for crust, bottom and top

• Thinly sliced yam and squash (get the pre-peeled and cubed packages at Trader Joe's for convenience!)

• mushroom gravy

• sliced tempeh

• dried cranberries

• grated Romano cheese, some fontina cheese

• grated carrot

Top with remaining cheese. Bake at 400 degrees for about 40 minutes.

Here's a shepherd's pie that was pretty good last year. Serves about eight people:

• Thinly sliced yam and squash (get the pre-peeled and cubed packages at Trader Joe's for convenience!)

• mushroom gravy

• sliced tempeh

• dried cranberries

• grated carrot

I don't 'do' chesse, but otherwise, this sounds fantastic. Could you express mail some to El Salvador?

Oh, and no butter in/on those croissants.

I know, picky, picky.

Edited by BeBop

I'm doing a solitary Thanksgiving this year, which is fine. I've had a really busy fall and am ready to be by myself for a minute.

Anyway, I'm going to do a turkey breast in the smoker, which I've done before, but this time I'm going to brine the turkey overnight which I've not done before. I'm going to use a brine recipe of honey, garlic, vegetable stock (and a little kosher salt, a little less than the recipe calls for) and then smoke it with a mix of hickory, pecan and apple wood chips.

Mashed potatoes (with roasted garlic and sour cream), green bean casserole and cranberry sauce as accompaniments.

I expect I'll have lots of leftovers, so come on by and join me. :)

I'm thinking of using the leftover smoked turkey to make some green chili enchiladas next weekend. I like to make them lasagna-style, layering corn tortillas, turkey, green chili and cheese. It's easier than rolling 'em, I'm a little lazy that way.

I never tire of talking about food...... :crazy:

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

edited for spelling

Edited by Free For All

Thanksgiving in Philadelphia with friends. Can't wait.

12 lb turkey (free range)

Stuffing (my recipe--sage, bread, sausage, yum)

Mashed sweet potatoes with pecans and brown sugar

Pumpkin curry soup

Some kind of cranberry relish (not my thing)

Pecan Pie

Pumpkin Pie

Loads of whipped cream

Even more loads of red wine

Damn, I love this holiday. No marathon to run on Sunday like in years past, but it'll be a good one.

Happy thanksgiving, all!

:)

A friend of ours who's a great cook invites anywhere from 10 to 20 guests to her place every year for a Thanksgiving weekend. Being in France we obviously don't get Thanksgiving as a holiday, so she does it the weekend before or after. So it's Nov. 25-26 for us. She does turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce, Brussels sprouts, green beans and bacon, various other side dishes, and sweet potato pie, all washed down usually with an abundance of excellent burgundy. Guests bring whatever strikes their fancy. Saturday night is the main pig-out, then a hard core stays over and we brunch on Sunday on leftovers and whatever else she whips up until we can take no more.

The turkey, incidentally, she buys fresh (one or two of them) from a local farmer, generally killed within the last 24 hours. Frozen turkeys are simply not available anywhere here, and I don't regret it.

• mushroom gravy

• sliced tempeh

• dried cranberries

• grated carrot

I don't 'do' chesse, but otherwise, this sounds fantastic. Could you express mail some to El Salvador?

Oh, and no butter in/on those croissants.

I know, picky, picky.

The recipe can be done without cheese — although, out here in crazy vegetarian land some of the tofu cheeses are fairly good — but I've never heard of a croissant made without butter! :P

Bebop, you're vegan? Easy, or difficult to do in El Salvador?

I'm doing a solitary Thanksgiving this year, which is fine. I've had a really busy fall and am ready to be by myself for a minute.

Anyway, I'm going to do a turkey breast in the smoker, which I've done before, but this time I'm going to brine the turkey overnight which I've not done before. I'm going to use a brine recipe of honey, garlic, vegetable stock (and a little kosher salt, a little less than the recipe calls for) and then smoke it with a mix of hickory, pecan and apple wood chips.

Mashed potatoes (with roasted garlic and sour cream), green bean casserole and cranberry sauce as accompaniments.

I expect I'll have lots of leftovers, so come on by and join me. :)

I'm thinking of using the leftover smoked turkey to make some green chili enchiladas next weekend. I like to make them lasagna-style, layering corn tortillas, turkey, green chili and cheese. It's easier than rolling 'em, I'm a little lazy that way.

I never tire of talking about food...... :crazy:

edited for spelling

Paul,

I have done the turkey in brine thing twice now, and it works like a charm. Turkey white meat has never been particularly appealing to me because it tends to be too dry, but with the presoak in brine approach, what results is amazingly moist and flavorful! You will most definitely enjoy it!

The brine recipe I use calls for brown sugar too.

Bon appetit!

G

brine recipe = ??????

anyone ever BBQ a turkey??

A brine 'recipe' is essentially a method of soaking the meat for awhile (12-24 hours) before cooking. This brings a lot of moistness to the white meat especially. There are different mixes that you can make. I found a few different ones by googling.

I use a very large ice chest to soak the bird in. It is important that the whole turkey (or whatever) is submerged completely.

Basically the brine mix consists of water, kosher salt, spices and flavorings. The one I use calls for brown sugar. I highly recommend soaking in brine. At first it may seem like a pain in the ass, but it well worth the effort.

I always thought my pork short ribs rocked the world, but my wife says that the smoked turkey I cook is the best thing that has come out of my smoker.

BBQ turkey? Never tried that!

I just have to come to the table when it's ready, and do the dishes afterward.

The menu usually consists of:

Turkey

Mom's Turkey Stuffing (nothing else like it, my favorite part)

Ham

Mashed Potatoes & Gravy

Broccoli & Cheese Casserole

The other Veggie & Cheese Casserole

Grandma Hunt's Salad (Dad's grandma)

Green Beans

Deviled Eggs

Pumpkin Pie

Apple Pie

+whatever any of my other family members bring!

Edited by Noj

A Thanksgiving tradition in my family is a brunch of Eggs a la Suisse. Had that this morning along with some homemade applesause, and a nice bottle of Riesling.

On the stereo, which turned out to the be the perfect choice: Paul McKee

Just got back from a walk in the beautiful woods of northern Michigan. A perfect sunny day here.