Universal Players?

Son-of-a-Weizen

Anyone see the recent announcement by Broadcom about the new chipset replacement that combines both Blu-Ray and HD DVD optical disc formats into an integrated, single chip design? How far off then is a universal player w/Blu-Ray, HD DVD, SACD, DVD-A? We're seriously considering upgrading the old tube and going Pioneer Plasma 50' or so but it doesn't seem to make sense to drop a dime on either player yet....just wait it out for a universal player, right? I'm interested to know what others here are doing (planning to do?) on the DVD front?

SOW, are you sure you want to make a move now? It looks to me like chances are excellent that prices will be much lower a year from now and even lower two years from now.

I can understand how a TV fanatic wouldn't have the patience to wait, but considering your interest in music I would think that you would rather spend that kind of money on upgrading your stereo system rather than your television.

Anyone see the recent announcement by Broadcom about the new chipset replacement that combines both Blu-Ray and HD DVD optical disc formats into an integrated, single chip design? How far off then is a universal player w/Blu-Ray, HD DVD, SACD, DVD-A? We're seriously considering upgrading the old tube and going Pioneer Plasma 50' or so but it doesn't seem to make sense to drop a dime on either player yet....just wait it out for a universal player, right? I'm interested to know what others here are doing (planning to do?) on the DVD front?

I went through this dilemna about 6 months ago, after lot's of investigating I've decided not to combine

video and audio. Music is my main interest thus I've upgraded my audio system by purchasing a Pathos cd player which is most probably the best purchase on the audio side I ever made, it does not even play SACD but wow my cd's do sound incredible now. very analogue sounding.

On the DVD side I bought a 50" Panasonic HD plasma, and a Panasonic DVD player/recorder, this is coupled to a mid price stereo only audio system, and again I am more than happy both the Pana plasma and recorder are great, and the recorder is just so convenient. The audio and video systems are in different rooms which again is a blessing.

I think that I got the best of both world.

No reason to wait on a HDTV set for the HD-DVD/Blue-Ray side of things to settle out. HDTVs are fairly cheap now and the quality is great. Just bought a 56" Samsung DLP a few months back and all i can think is how much i wish i'd bought one sooner. It upsamples fine from my "standard" DVD player (one doesn't even need an upconverting player since the TVs do it, and many do it better), and we haven't even gotten around to getting the HD DIsh package yet either since HD over the air is generally superior to anything you'll get over cable/satellite anyway.

So while I'd recommend holding off on getting a high-rez DVD player until the format wars either ends or becomes moot, I don't recommend waiting to purchase a HD set if you have the means and desire for one. (And personally, I wouldn't get a flat panel unless i wanted/needed to hang it on the wall.)

Edited by RDK

SOW, are you sure you want to make a move now? It looks to me like chances are excellent that prices will be much lower a year from now and even lower two years from now.

I can understand how a TV fanatic wouldn't have the patience to wait, but considering your interest in music I would think that you would rather spend that kind of money on upgrading your stereo system rather than your television.

Again, talking of TVs rather than DVD players, but the upgrade from standard def TV to HDTV is like going from a boombox to separates. I doubt that one could upgrade one's stereo system to match the improvement you can get in televisions.

What HDTV programs do you have in the US? In Europe, it is still extremely limited. HDTV stations are certainly not the reason to get a HD screen today.

I use the TV mainly for DVDs and I will buy a 46" after Christmas (I currently have a 10 year old 30" TV).

I won't buy a BluRay or HD-DVD player given the limited number of titles and the uncertain future of both formats. Maybe in a year a two.