Donald Byrd/Doug Watkins

Tom 1960

It's a heck of a lineup, you're right. Some great music as well. Sound is okay. (I have most of this also on TOCJ cds that sound better, in my opinion, but sure cost more too! This material sounds pretty good on this two cd set though).

I think there are seminal performances here that are a part of the beginning of the music that followed, along with sister dates on other labels by these artists. Tom Wilson was almost as careful and empowering a producer as Alfred Lion. You'll like this one I bet.

I'd drop Hiroshi a line and scoop up the TOCJ for $12.50

Due out on November 22, 2006

UCCJ 2054 Meg(vo)/Grace 2500

UCCT 9004 Uehara,Hitomi(p)/Spiral Tour Edition(CD +DVD) 2800

UCCM 1104 Connick Jr.,Harry(vo)/Chanson Du Vieux Carre 2548

UCCT 1176 Bentyne,Cheryl(vo)/Book Of Love 2548

UCCT 1178 Powell,Doc(g)/Doc Powell 2548

UCCE 1081 Saluzzi,Dino(bandneon)/Juan Condori 2548

UCBJ 1002 Yamashita,Yosuke(p)/Rhapsody In Blue(DVD) 4200

TOCJ 6851(24 Bit) Shank,Bud(as)/Bud Shank Quartet 1500

TOCJ 6852(24 Bit) Kenney,Beverly(vo)/Sings For Johnny Smith 1500

TOCJ 6853(24 Bit) Jones,Thad(tp) & Mel Lewis(ds)/Central Park North 1500

TOCJ 6854(24 Bit) Watkins,Doug(b)/Watkins At Large 1500

TOCJ 6855(24 Bit) Adderley,Cannonball(as)/Them Dirty Blues 1500

TOCJ 6856(24 Bit) Sinatra,Frank(vo)/In The Wee Small Hours 1500

TOCJ 6857(24 Bit) Sims,Zoot(ts) & Al Cohn(ts)/Jazz Alive- A Night At Half Note 1500

TOCJ 6858(24 Bit) Lee,Peggy(vo)/Beauty & The Beat 1500

TOCJ 6859(24 Bit) Lewis,Monica(vo)/Fools Rush In 1500

TOCJ 6860(24 Bit) Baker,Chet(tp)/Chet Baker Big Band 1500

COCB 53580 Maya/A Man & A Woman - Kiss Of Fire 2940

COCB 53581 Waldron,Mala(p,vo)/Always There* 2625

COCB 53582 Gundersen,Inger Marie(vo)/By Myself 2520

VACM 1294 Kisor,Ryan(tp)/One Finger Snap: Incredible Ryan 2940

VACM 1295 Beatle Jazz/All You Need Is Love 2940

On November 29,2006

Not to be missed. The Byrd album introduced me to hard bop and Mobley back in the 50s. I've been hooked ever since.

Actually, the set includes not one but two Donald Byrd albums, Byrd's Eye View (Transition TRLP 4) and Byrd Blows on Beacon Hill (Transition TRLP 17).

Thanks for all the input fellas. I realise sometimes these type of lineups don't always live up to the hype. With some of my favorite musicians aboard, I have a good feeling I'm going to enjoy this one. Thanks again!

there's just no way you won't enjoy this. Its prime time for some superior musicians, and there's no way this will disappoint.

Great music, but not "life-changing"-ly so (IMHO), if you catch my drift.

In the spirit of not setting one's expectations too high -- I think this material is nearly as good as any of Byrd's other 50's or early 60's dates, but not especially better than other similar Byrd recordings of the same era.

That said, Chuck's right -- get it. (I did.)

I have Toshiba LPs of Byrd's Eye View and Watkins at Large, and both are wonderful "blowing" sessions. Watkins is particularly sick... I haven't heard Beacon Hill, but suspect it's good.

You couldn't go wrong buying this CD, which is pretty much what everybody else here would say.

Just pulled 'Watkins at Large' (King) and 'Byrd Blows On Beacon Hill' (Toshiba) from the racks and into the play pile. Both courtesy of the great Mr Tanno !

Just listening to the 'Beacon Hill', I can definitely recommend the Toshiba vinyl. A nice laid-back session and Byrd was pretty under-rated at this vintage, especially on ballads (lovely version of 'Polka Dots and Moonbeams'). Toshiba vinyl sounds up to the King standard of quality here.

The only odd thing is that this Japanese LP has a 'clone' Division of Liberty Records label on it. :huh:

• 2 weeks later...