interesting facts about IKEA

I actually did know this, which was bad news for a girl I went out with recently. To try to demonstrate how clever she was, she bragged to me about how she loaded up on Ikea stock just as the housing boom was starting to take off. :rolleyes: I didn't bother to get into a conversation on the ownership structure of Ikea with her.

IKEA is essentially owned by a charitable foundation whose legally stated purpose is "to promote and support "innovation in the field of architectural and interior design." It's the wealthiest charity in the world.

Also, IKEA is not actually Swedish these days -- it is registered in the Netherlands.

Guy

Any idea where all their timber comes from? I can't imagine how much they process in a year's time.

Holy moly, I still miss Carson :( . Went to a couple of tapings and wasn't too impressed with Leno. Johnny was one of a kind.

Same here; I don't even bother with late night TV anymore.

That's because you (........ okay, and I) are getting too old to stay awake for it! :rolleyes::lol:

I used to like Leno as a guest on Letterman, but as a host... well, he looked uncomfortable with it when he started, and he still does! Sad, really. Anyway, as much as I admired Carson, for me he got kind of stale toward the end. I enjoyed Letterman (and for awhile, Conan) until I just got out of the habit of watching tv that late... now I only stay up late to watch YouTube and waste time here. ;)

IKEA is essentially owned by a charitable foundation whose legally stated purpose is "to promote and support "innovation in the field of architectural and interior design." It's the wealthiest charity in the world.

Also, IKEA is not actually Swedish these days -- it is registered in the Netherlands.

Guy

Any idea where all their timber comes from? I can't imagine how much they process in a year's time.

I believe most of their product is made from compressed cardboard.

Not the stuff I have.

I had a dresser from them that definitely was, and I seem to remember reading that that was their primary material, but I could be wrong about that. I recently bought a kitchen counter from them that is all particle board except for the counter surface itself. If they aren't primarily using cardboard, I'm pretty sure that they are generally using particle board, which would be purchased as waste product from lumber and/or manufacturing companies. In either case, it is an environmentally friendly practice (with the caveat that, in my experience, the stuff doesn't have a very long life span).

Edited by J Larsen

There's different grades of particle board, determined by how compressed it is. The good stuff will hold up, not as long as high quality lumber, but at least as long as lower grade.

Veneer is important to. You put a cheap, thin veneer on top of particle board, and you're wwasting money. But a good veneer on top of good quality particle board is nothing to sneeze at, and it won't be "budget priced" either.

I've not bought from IKEA, but I have bought both solid wood & quality particle board/wood veneer furniture. If you're looking for something to last for generations, go for the solid wood (but it better bee good wood well constructed). But if you just want something functional that'll easily last for 15-20 years, then the other way is more than good. The way a lot of people move & redecorate, it's probably best to hold off on the "heirloom" quality stuff until you know you're good & settled.

And truthfully, quality particle board/veneer is going to last you longer and better than lower grade solid wood with half-ass construction. I got off the solid wood kick a long time ago after seeing stuff fall apart due to flimsy construction techniques and/or cheap wood. Doesn't matter how good the wood is if it ain't built right, and vice-versa.

Particle board is a lot like plywood (or as it's know in it's better incarnations, "pressed wood"). There's been so many low budget uses of it (with low budget results) that it's gotten a reputation for being an intrinsically cheap medium. It's easy to overlook the fact that both products come in all grades (and price ranges). A smart consumer can get some pretty good furniture w/o having to pay exhorbatant prices.

The correct term would not be "particle board" but Oriented Strand Board (OSB), which has layers of chips (strands) that are oriented in oppisite directions in each layer.

Each layer is infused with glue and then sandwiched togeter under pressure and heat to make a sheet.

No gaps and very strong.

We use OSB products in our houses.

vineerid,%20HDF,%20MDF,%20OSB.jpg

COSB0009.jpg

Edited by marcello

The correct term would not be "particle board" but Oriented Strand Board (OSB), which has layers of chips (strands) that are oriented in oppisite directions in each layer.

Each layer is infused with glue and then sandwiched togeter under pressure and heat to make a sheet.

No gaps and very strong.

The correct words are opposite and together. :cool:

No gaps and very strong.

The correct words are opposite and together. :cool:

Thank you Mr. Nessa.

Never to proud to learn!

Is there a difference between "particle board" & OSB, or is OSB just the preferred term in the industry?

Just "industry" shit.

Well, now you're wrong Chuck!

The difference between the two products is that particle board does not have oriented strands in layers. That is each layer of strands are alternately alinged top to bottom and in the next sheet the layer stand is orientated left to right. Then they glue and pressure the layers together.

The OSB products that we use ( Huber) come with a 50 year warranty against delamination.

That's one of the properties that gives it strength.

Particle board is not layered, nor are the stains of wood aligned in any cross pattern.

Back to the post though, I have bought some Ikea pieces ( including a sofa) and find them of very sturdy construction.

I did not know of the charity they support. Good for them!

I did not know of the charity they support. Good for them!

You kind of missed the point. Ingvar Kamprad, Ikea's owner (one of the world's richest men and former member of a pro-Nazi organization in Sweden after WWII) long ago transferred technical ownership of Ikea to a "charity" that is, in essence, a holding company. Setting it up as a charity is simply a tax dodge.

No gaps and very strong.

vineerid,%20HDF,%20MDF,%20OSB.jpg

COSB0009.jpg

...we also use OBS on our houses....at least it surrounds my chimney. I have a desk and chair from Ikea and the desk has held up well for nine years.....the cushion on the chain is another matter.

m~