Voting Issues - NON-Political!

I just got back from doing my civic duty and I am so angry I can barely see straight.

Chalk it up to me being somewhat uninformed, but I was under the impression that my US House district was Mark Foley's. Turns out it isn't - its Democrat Bob Wexler's district, and he is running unopposed.

Here's the infuriating thing:

There was no spot on the ballot to vote in this "race".

Now, obviously, with no formal opposition, Wexler wins. But aren't we supposed to actually vote?

I told the man in charge. "what if I want to write in my vote?" and he says "write it in!" but the seat doesn't even appear on my cockamamie electronic machine! And yet, there were other seats which showed a single official candidate and a spot for a write-in.

This is just plain wrong as a matter of basic small "d" democracy and I'd like to hear from other people if they agree or disagree and if they encounter any other such foolishness.

Regardless, thanks for listening to my rant.

Dan,

I think there should definitely be a spot for a one-candidate race, for the exact reasons you state (write-in votes). I just voted and there were several one-candidate races (mostly non-partisan judge seats, though). Each one had the one candidate's name and a space for a write-in. That's the way it should be.

I would file a complaint with your elections board and ask them why the race was not on the ballot.

Every unopposed race was listed on my ballot (optical scan) here in Missiouri, and I believe the same option was available on the touch screen system (or else you were directed to use an optical scan ballot if you wanted to vote for any "write-in" candidates).

With the optical scan ballots, you could write in any name you wished for any race, opposed or unopposed.

I'd complain to your local election commisioner, and perhaps just as important -- write a letter to the editor of your local newspaper. (In fact, get a few friends to write some similar letters -- if you really want to get one printed. In this day and age, multiple original letters is what will really get something printed in the paper. Try to get at least 5 people to write in about the subject.)

I went to the Palm Beach County Elections website and found an email and sent a message. We'll see how they respond. Next I am going to search the Florida Elections code to see what it says about unopposed candidates. Whatever the law, its obvious to me that it is wrong to have an unopposed candidate be elected by acclamation. Wexler is going to enjoy another term having received precisely zero votes from his constituents. Let's see him put that on his next flier. :angry:

I think there should have been a fill-in-the blank on that ballot as well.

However, if there is an election for a position, and there's nobody WILLING to oppose an incumbent, do you really think that person will be outvoted? If nobody else is going to run, then the "one" who is almost deserves the position, regardless of whether they can actually do a decent job with it or not.

On the other hand, it could just be that there is some other non-electronic way to register a write-in vote. In other words, there may well be a procedure in place to handle write-ins, just not through the electronic voting system.

I mention this because I think the only way you can register a write-in vote here in MO (well, here in KC anyway), is if you pick the optical-scan method of voting.

The method in your city may be different.

I think there should have been a fill-in-the blank on that ballot as well.

However, if there is an election for a position, and there's nobody WILLING to oppose an incumbent, do you really think that person will be outvoted? If nobody else is going to run, then the "one" who is almost deserves the position, regardless of whether they can actually do a decent job with it or not.

Obviously I don't think that he will be outvoted. It is the principle. A Congressman is being elected today without receiving a single vote on election day.

Agree 100% Dan. I wonder if this is a "design" issue with the e-voting machines or some policy by the local voting board.

Nope. Just looked it up in the State election code and it clearly states that unopposed candidates shall not appear on the general election ballot. Unbelievable, but there it is. :excited::angry:

Edited by Dan Gould