Caiman on Amazon

Bol

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never had any problems with Caiman, but OTOH I never ordered items that obviously were OOP .....

Being an Amazon seller myself, mixed with ebay it does get a bit overwhelming when you dont take them out of your inventory when they sell on the other site.

Alot of the time your listed cd isnt in stock, but I always refund when I find this out.

And I stock everything! Unlike Caiman.

I think Caiman is a part of AEC distribution.

• 1 year later...

Up (or should it be down!)

Looks like Caiman has gone under (water)... I cannot find a single mention of any Caiman offerings on Amazon these days.

Have they gone out of business :o

This would be sad news! Have done a lot of purchases through them and never had any problem (if there was one, it was promptly solved).

Yes, no sign of Caiman. Their place as cheapest seller seems to have been taken by two other US outfits, All Your Music and MovieMars-US.

Also ImportCDs, who are excellent and used to even beat Caimen fairly often. I have been using them as my first choice on Amazon Marketplace for a good while. Not familiar with All Your Music, they don't show up on the CD's I look at. MovieMars is OK, but I've had some mistakes and some shipping delays from them, and didn't like their customer service too much (much preferred Claire at Caimen!).

just be aware, I had a problem with Import Cds - they agreed to take something back, received it, and than just kept giving me form email responses instead of crediting my account - finally I used a reverse directory and tracked them down to some other business - none of it sounded real Kosher, but I did, after about 3 days, get some guy to refund my money (he was a littled troubled that I was able to track him down). But I would tend to avoid them in the future - they are fine and fast UNTIL you need your money back.

Edited by AllenLowe

just be aware, I had a problem with Import Cds - they agreed to take something back, received it, and than just kept giving me form email responses instead of crediting my account - finally I used a reverse directory and tracked them down to some other business - none of it sounded real Kosher, but I did, after about 3 days, get some guy to refund my money (he was a littled troubled that I was able to track him down). But I would tend to avoid them in the future - they are fine and fast UNTIL you need your money back.

I bought my Oscar Peterson Mosaic through them and had no trouble at all. The set was sealed and packed well enough not to sustain any damage. I've also bought a couple of other CDs from them with no issues. I guess their return policy, should you need it, is a bit shady.

I'd add Newbury Comics to the list of top-choice Amazon Marketplace sellers.

Absolutely. Thumbs up for Newbury Comics all the way. First class outfit. :tup

Yes, no sign of Caiman. Their place as cheapest seller seems to have been taken by two other US outfits, All Your Music and MovieMars-US.

I don't use Caiman anymore for two reasons:

(1) Once I ordered a hard to find CD from the Amazon site and waited 3 weeks for a shipment notice. Finally got refunded, but that's just plain bad business practice.

(2) When they took over control of Tower after the bankruptcy, I had two outstanding orders for rare Buddy De Franco albums. Tower's policy of not charging your account until shipment went out the door and Caiman's was instituted. I was immediately charged for CDs that I never received. When I went to call customer service and ask for my money back, they kept assuring me to keep waiting. Unfortunately, I waited too long for my credit card company to do anything about it. In the end I got stiffed about $50 and Caiman/Tower refused to even grant me store credit as a consolation. I don't trust those bastards anymore.

Newbury is excellent - I'm surprised that they're not afraid to send orders out to Philly, what with all the former Nigerian princes living out there -

Agreed on Newbury if they have the title you're looking for. They don't offer "everything" the way Caimen and the others under question do, but what they do offer, they offer at great prices with great service.

All your music is even worse than Caiman (which is acceptable to me). No communication possible (no answers to emails) and if the cd's are sent it takes at least 6 weeks to reach me in the Netherlands (not the average banana republis imo).

But they are indeed the cheapest in many cases.

All your music is even worse than Caiman (which is acceptable to me). No communication possible (no answers to emails) and if the cd's are sent it takes at least 6 weeks to reach me in the Netherlands (not the average banana republis imo).

But they are indeed the cheapest in many cases.

I've found them OK for the UK - takes about 2 weeks (no better or worse than Caiman), and I've never had one cancelled yet.

• 6 months later...

Amazon has apparently fairly recently changed the way it handles canceled orders. I found a too-good-to-be true pricing mistake and didn't think the store would honor it, but I said what the heck. I'm not surprised they canceled the order, but I sure as hell wanted to leave negative feedback. Now canceled transactions are completely voided out of the Amazon system, like it never happened at all (just a dream). On the one hand, when you click on an item it no longer says "You ordered this on X date" when you didn't actually receive the item. That's somewhat helpful. But the more substantial problem is that somewhat abusive sellers like caiman (that list a fair number of things they don't actually have in stock) are going to have much more positive feedback than they deserve. On the whole, I am disappointed as I think this will lead to more abuses on the part of sellers like caiman.

In this particular case, I'll watch for about a week to see if the seller relists the item at its regular price, then report them to Amazon for a violation of its marketplace policies.

I wrote caiman off years ago simply because they seemed to take much longer to fill orders, and I'm impatient, I guess.

Always had quick service, best prices with MovieMars, Newbury and ImportCDs.

I've had a couple of shaky experiences with MovieMars, but Newbury and ImportCDs have been great, and I've ordered a dozen CD's from Newbury and I'm sure over a hundred from ImportCD's.

I wrote caiman off years ago simply because they seemed to take much longer to fill orders, and I'm impatient, I guess.

Always had quick service, best prices with MovieMars, Newbury and ImportCDs.

I've had a couple of shaky experiences with MovieMars, but Newbury and ImportCDs have been great, and I've ordered a dozen CD's from Newbury and I'm sure over a hundred from ImportCD's.

Same with me. MovieMars takes a bit too long to fill orders. When I ordered a few about to go out of print RVG's last year, they sent me RVG's from the UK instead. No biggie, but I don't fully trust them, and will only order from them absent other reasonable choices.

Caiman -- that's a whole other story. NEVER again will I order from Tower!

FWIW, Tower.com has a new CEO and he posted a letter on their site saying he knows a lot of customers are unhappy and he's trying to turn things around. I dunno if that's real, honest contrition or just a slick attempt at PR, but there you go. Tower is also moving to migrating all their order fulfillment and customer service to Amazon, so maybe that will improve things?

FWIW, Tower.com has a new CEO and he posted a letter on their site saying he knows a lot of customers are unhappy and he's trying to turn things around. I dunno if that's real, honest contrition or just a slick attempt at PR, but there you go. Tower is also moving to migrating all their order fulfillment and customer service to Amazon, so maybe that will improve things?

It might, but if they continue to charge your credit card at the time of order placement, rather than at time of shipment, I'm out.

It might, but if they continue to charge your credit card at the time of order placement, rather than at time of shipment, I'm out.

It doesn't look like it...I just put an item in my cart and clicked "checkout". Was routed directly to Amazon. Not sure of the specific way they've integrated with Amazon, but if I had to guess, it's Amazon that's charging your card and doing things the way Amazon always does it.