Thelonious Monk in Phildadelphia

Durium

This is available on emusic, along with a bunch of other stuff from the RLR "label" (Trane at the Showboat, som live Bird, etc.). I just downloaded it and checked out the Steve Allen show stuff. I don't know Teo Macero's playing very well, but I have to say this doesn't really sound like Mobley to me. The lines don't sound like him, and on "Well You Needn't" the tenor player plays a couple of lines up in the altissimo register that I've never heard Mobley do.

Indeed, the fidelity is horrible. It does sound about like a tape recorder mic in front of a TV speaker. At a couple of spots some voices can be heard, as though people in the living room are talking in the background.

Here are some fragments of the recordings that include the short tenor solos:

Well You Needn't

Off Minor

Whadaya think? Mobley, or no?

Edited by DukeCity

This is available on emusic, along with a bunch of other stuff from the RLR "label" (Trane at the Showboat, som live Bird, etc.). I just downloaded it and checked out the Steve Allen show stuff. I don't know Teo Macero's playing very well, but I have to say this doesn't really sound like Mobley to me. The lines don't sound like him, and on "Well You Needn't" the tenor player plays a couple of lines up in the altissimo register that I've never heard Mobley do.

Indeed, the fidelity is horrible. It does sound about like a tape recorder mic in front of a TV speaker. At a couple of spots some voices can be heard, as though people in the living room are talking in the background.

Here are some fragments of the recordings that include the short tenor solos:

Well You Needn't

Off Minor

Whadaya think? Mobley, or no?

Just listened to those clips, and ain't no Hank on there.

The altissimo bit on "Well You Needn't" is definitely a Teo signature lick (check him out the Mingus Period sides & his own Prestige date and you'll hear it all over the place in some form or fashion), and that seals the deal for me. But the rest of the tenor playing is a bit gruffer than what I'm used to having heard Teo play in the '50s, especially the exit phrase on "Off Minor" which is damn near Bean Machiney. The Teo from this time that I've heard was playing more out of a Warne bag than anything else, but playing w/Monk in the mid-50s was different than playing with pre-Bohemia/Pithecanthropus Mingus & various other "workshop" type environments. And the recording quality no doubt colors the tone.

So, per Chewric's request, a definite (-) on this being the Hankster and a highly probable (+) on it being Teofortwoeaux.

i give up. this is a big joke. this cd should be pulled from the market for misappropriating the name of hank. hank did play altissmo lines now and again, but not before 1968. maybe i should ammened the bootleg section to my hank discography, (yes mine is better than yours it has an extensive bootleg section), and take the item out? do you think i should? to quote phil collins, "its all been a pack of lies". maybe the wires have been cross the whole time and no one had the hank to begin with. but the GIG IS for real: 1 week b4 art farmer kicked the bucket i talked to him and he said it definetly ***DID*** happen.

chewy, the excitement about this release may be rather low as the date with Lacy and also the 1948 session with Sulieman are circulating among collectors... RLR is one of those Lonehill Definitive etc. bootleg labels making money from selling stuff that no one really owns (alright, there are copyright issues, sure, but it's not more legitimate to sell this stuff than to just give it away in trades or for free, if you ask me... these chaps seem to so to speak rip off traders and release this stuff, same for the Trane Showboat thing and some other discs I've seen in stores).

oh and will you PLEASE drop it with the "its traded among collectors" line by now- you guys hide under that ruse every time u wanna talk about one of your bootlegs. traded among collectors--- ppfffsssst. bootlegs are your friend, and i dont mean youre secret, special friend you dont tell no one about

If hank is disrespected like this one more time in the public eye like this i swear to god and cybill shepherd's eyelash curler that i am going to put up my own money and issue "Reach Up Over 'N Out": Hank Mobley Quartet live at Montmare Club, 1968 (Chew-Chew 001). You just wait and see

...which is being traded, too... :P

Seriously: nothing to hide, it's just that some people do invest time to record radio broadcast, burn that stuff onto CDR and exchange it with others, that's all.

And no disrespect for Hank here at all - in fact I agree very much that these bootleg releases (the Monk in Philly, I mean, not the traded stuff) suck if done so carelessly.

oh and will you PLEASE drop it with the "its traded among collectors" line by now- you guys hide under that ruse every time u wanna talk about one of your bootlegs. traded among collectors--- ppfffsssst. bootlegs are your friend, and i dont mean youre secret, special friend you dont tell no one about

Fuck, Chew, check out dimeadozen.org and masturbate to your heart's content... :rolleyes:

Does anyone know if the '48 material is complete with commentary or is it just the music?

Just the music.

The entire broadcast is a friggin' hoot. The "host" doesn't have a clue and is pissed he was "tricked" to present the band on his show. Lorraine Lion/Gordon tells the story in the Mosaic BN Monk box notes.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So the thread is about Monk in Philly and no mention of the live trio session from the mid/late '50s with Jimmy Bond and Tootie Heath! I hope I'm remembering the details correctly. Monk introduces the tunes and sidemen. It is wonderful. Gotta go find that tape.

Thank you, you.......Philadelphian's.