Thelonious Monk in Phildadelphia

Durium

Thelonious Monk in Phildadelphia

monk.jpg

This great compilation of rare live Monk recordings was released earlier this year at the RLR Label ( RLR 88623 ). Even if you have a large collection of Monk recordings you sure can find some nice things here. It contains an unique recording of a 1960 radio broadcast with the Thelonious Monk Quintet ( featuring Steve Lacy on soprano) and a 1955 Steve Allen TV program, in which Monk is interviewed.

Keep swinging

Durium

OIOOOHOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo i just saw the vover just saw the cover pic didnt load then i saw it its ayd hNka mnobley Its saysi HANK MOBLEY ON VOVER .. DID Y SEE THAT> IT SAYS HIANK! !OIH!O! OIHOI@OIWO@!!!!

WHAT IN THE WHOLEY ASS HELL OF ALL THINGS HOLY DID DANNY D'IMPIRIO OR WHOMEVER IT WAS WAY BACK IN 1998 WHO TOLD ME HE HAD THIS, DID HE FINALLY SELL IT OFF OR SOMETHING. I CANT EVEN REMEMBER WHAT HE WANTED FROM ME FOR IT. BUT NOW ITS OUT?!?!? IS THIS REALLYIT>> IS THIS A JOKE > DID U MAKE THAT COVER ON PHOTOSHOP> WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON HERE> OH MNY GOD

did a search an on jazzcorner bulltin board (our enemy jazz board?) some guy posted nugget of information:

Art Farmer (tp), Hank Mobley (ts), unknown (tb), Thelonious Monk (p), Charles Mingus (b), Art Blakey (d). The Steve Allen Show, New York, October 6, 1955.

12. Steve Allen interviews Monk into Off Minor (5: 45)

13. Well You Needn't (2 :59)

The details are a bit wrong for this entry. According to both Chris Sheridan (Brilliant Corners: A Bio-Discography of Thelonious Monk) and Leslie Gourse (Straight, No Chaser: The Life and Genius of Thelonious Monk), this performance occurred on June 10, 1955. Teo Macero was on tenor sax, Eddie Bert on trombone and Willie Jones on drums. The rest of the lineup (Farmer, Mingus and of course Monk) is apparently correct.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

NOW THEN: FOCUS PEOPLE FOCUS----

IF INDEED THE 1955 DATE IS CORRECT FOR THIS, THEN IT IS NOT THE HANK/ART FAMER ADDITION OF HE BAND.

BUT GODAMMIT CAN SOMEONE FIGURE THIS OUT WHO HAS THIS CD ALREADY.

NOT TO CONFUSE MATTERS FUTURER BUT I NEVER DID INQUIRE IF THIS KINESCOPE IS DESTROYED AS WELL....

ART BLAKEY AND THE JAZZ MESSENGERS: The Tonight Show; 3/6/56

Donald Byrd (trumpet)

Hank Mobley (tenor sax)

Horace Silver (piano)

Doug Watkins (bass)

Art Blakey (drums)

1. Doodlin'

2. Avila And Tequila

IM ASSUMING MY BOOTLEG LISTING IS JUST A AUDIO COPY OF IT.....

Here's the complete personnel listing according to the liner notes of the thread (thanks to the Jazz Corner thread that Aric mentions).

Steve Lacy (ss), Charlie Rouse (ts), Thelonious Monk (p), John Ore (b), Roy Haynes (d). Live broadcast, Philadelphia, March 3, 1960.

1. Announcement (0: 30)

2. Evidence (6: 19)

3. Announcement (0: 29)

4. Straight, No Chaser (7: 53)

5. Rhythm A Ning into Closing Announcement by Louis Armstrong (4: 39)

Thad Jones (tp), Charlie Rouse (ts), Thelonious Monk (p), John Ore (b), Billy Higgins (d). Concert, New York, August 1957.

6. Blue Monk (5: 22)

7. Light Blue (11: 05)

8. Evidence (11: 46)

Thelonious Monk (p), Idrees Sulieman (tp), Curly Russell (b), Art Blakey (d). Broadcast, New York, February 16, 1948.

9. Just You, Just Me (4: 53)

10. All the Things You Are (5: 55)

11. Suburban Eyes (3: 20)

Art Farmer (tp), Hank Mobley (ts), unknown (tb), Thelonious Monk (p), Charles Mingus (b), Art Blakey (d). The Steve Allen Show, New York, October 6, 1955.

12. Steve Allen interviews Monk into Off Minor (5: 45)

13. Well You Needn't (2 :59)

Thelonious Monk (p), Idrees Sulieman (tp), Lucky Thompson (ts), Curly Russell (b), Art Blakey (d), Frankie Passions (vc). Original recordings for the Washington label, New York, June 1950.

14. Especially to You (2: 38)

15. Nobody Knows (2: 52)

If it's really Mingus, it could be Macero.

I've heard the Monk/Lacy 1960 material, which went up on a torrent site a few weeks back. Sounds like an AM broadcast, and the announcements cut things off before they really get going.

Actually IIRC it was torrented last winter before the cd came out. Ditto for that Coltrane Showboat Philly cd. I'm wondering if their source was DaD. :huh:

I'm surprised that there isn't more excitement about this one. Maybe some of you already had this music. I didn't.

The 1957 session with Thad Jones and the extended 1948 tracks are fabulous. The sound quality here is quite good, particularly on the Thad Jones session. I have always loved the combination of Monk and Thad, and it is great to have more. The 1948 material is both historic and exciting.

The session with Steve Lacy is also a blast. The sound quality may leave something to be desired, but it is good enough to close your eyes and imagine what it would sound like in Hi Fi. Some tapes that many of us often listen to sound a lot worse. This is a unique and extremely interesting item.

The Steve Allen show tracks, Mobley or no Mobley, are very minor items in this great collection.

Edited by John L

do any of you wild 'n crazy guys know a jazz person, Danny D'Imperio, i am postive thats was his name, anyways, why back when in the mid/late 90s sometime, this guy is THE (or one of the) guys who has the tape in question. Its was rec. right from the TV set and i DONT mean via VTR 1" video tape recording television, hell no, i mean just holding a mic to the TV set. anyways this is the guy we need to find. do any of you know of this guys whereabouts-- he is either a collector or a musican or both. i think a drummer. he wanted something like an arm and a leg and a spleen for it, or something, i dont recall what happened....anyways....

The sound is quite muffled and the solos are very short, but I think that it could be Mobley. What he plays on Off Minor is nothing much, but he gets off a fairly nice short solo on Well You Needn't. Monk's playing is also interesting on the latter.

Like I said, however, this session is the last reason to get the disc.

I know D'Imperio, the drummer. Whatever he has is likely mirrored on this cd. I can tell whenever I get the cd. It hasn't shown up on any of the sites I normally buy cds from, and I'm not at home for a few weeks to compare it to the material that I have from Danny. And the notes he has for the tape says Mobley, but that doesn't mean it's Mobley.

You'll just have to get the cd yourself Aric and give it a listen.

wiatwaitwait lon u have the tape form that guy? and even youre not sure its mobley? wait wait r u saying that this D'Imperio just shanjanhied me whole time way back when and he was gonna chage me 300 dollars or whatever it was for a tape he didnt even know it was the right tape????????

he told me it was the Hank/artFarmer/Monk steve allen tv b'cast, taped off the tv set in 1957. is that what he told u. i am going crazy

in case chewy doesnt see it for a while someone really has to step up- i thought all u guys buy all these new jazz cds that come out- im amazed and shocked no ones has stepped up yet-- anyways ill be on the lookout and snap it up but then no more cds for a while, or there is no way in hell or heaven i can make my schedule: if i miss even one show phil is going to give me a beat-down

11 June - Helsinki, Finland Olympic Stadium

14 June - Herning, Denmark Messecenter

15 June - Hamburg, Germany AOL Arena

17 June - Berne, Switzerland Stade de Suisse

18 June - Linz, Austria Gugglestadium

20 June - Budapest, Hungary Puskas Ferenc Stadion

21 June - Katowice, Poland Slaski Stadium

23 June - Hannover, Germany AWD Arena

26 June - Dusseldorf, Germany LTU Arena

29 June - Stuttgart, Germany Gottlieb-Daimler-Stadium

30 June - Paris, France Parc Des Princes

1 July - Amsterdam, Holland Arena