trane on Bethlehem

was thinking about getting this one- the arrangments sound nice but very different than tranes usual- i dont think they were orginally his sessions- i really like bethlehem though i might just take a chance on it- i have this 4 lp beth. sampler series set and its like 1/2 west coast jazz, and the rest of it like like mel torme and other vocals

594635.jpg

It is complete!

This is t-h-e set responsible for getting me into jazz. Prior to hearing it played in a music shop in Austria, I'm pretty sure that the only jazz stuff I had on hand was a Ronnie Laws ('Pressure Sensitive') cd.....a Stanley Clarke ('Journey to Love') ...and a couple of Chick Corea LPs. It just blew me away.

594635.jpg

It is complete!

Except...

There's a Japanese issue of the big band material that includes a lot of false starts and between song chatter (including some disgruntled "AGAIN?" type stuff).

It would appear that Blakey's chart-reading skills were not immediately up to the task at hand and that the band was forced to wait for him to figure out the charts by playing them over and over until he did.

Indeed!

But you know, I wonder about Bethlehem's recording policy. Seems like they let tape run when a lot of other labels would have shut off. The reissue of Johnny Hartman's Songs From the Heart is just downright bizarre in the that respect. The guy clearly hasn't learned all the songs yet, but Bethlehem has take after take of him fucking up. And they eventually released them!

Was "runthrough" not in their vocabulary? :g