Houston Person with John Heard trio at Charlie's O's on 11/4

Allan Songer

i, too, would recommend this gig except i was very surprised at the very high entrance fee: $30!!! way out of line as far as i'm concerned. catalina's and the jazz bakery very rarely even charge that for much bigger names!

Yeah, but how much great music have we heard week after week at Charlie O's with ZERO cover? I've been to Charlie's at least 100 times and I've paid a cover excatly TWICE-- Once for Freddie Hubbard and the other time for Pete and Conte Candoli. And to hear Houston Person with John Heard and Roy McCurdy is gonna be a GAS. So Houston Person puts some cash in his pocket at the end of the night? OK by me!!

Charlie has the best jazz club in L.A. I'd much rather go there than to Catalina or the Jazz Bakery.

i, too, would recommend this gig except i was very surprised at the very high entrance fee: $30!!! way out of line as far as i'm concerned. catalina's and the jazz bakery very rarely even charge that for much bigger names!

Yeah, but how much great music have we heard week after week at Charlie O's with ZERO cover? I've been to Charlie's at least 100 times and I've paid a cover excatly TWICE-- Once for Freddie Hubbard and the other time for Pete and Conte Candoli. And to hear Houston Person with John Heard and Roy McCurdy is gonna be a GAS. So Houston Person puts some cash in his pocket at the end of the night? OK by me!!

Charlie has the best jazz club in L.A. I'd much rather go there than to Catalina or the Jazz Bakery.

i appreciate your opinion, allan, but i still think it's way too steep a price to pay! the drinks and food are not cheap there either. i've probably only been to the club two handfuls of times in the past as it's not as convenient for me as the bakery and catalina's. it is a really good place for jazz though.

Well, I live down in Long Beach and I work in Hollywood and I make the drive out to Charlie O's at least twice a month--sometimes much more often. I get to the Bakery about 1-2 times a month as well, but to Catalina only about 4-5 times a year. I just don't like Catalina's new space all that much. I also make the trek to Steamer's in Fullerton about once every other month and to Henri's and Spazio about as often. I catch the late-nite gig at Dinnerhouse M on Fridays 5-6 times a year as well. Theo Saunders just flat out BURNS in that place!

What I love a bout Charlie O's is that you get to hear working local groups--Catalina and The Bakery are great, but feature mostly out of town artists passing though.

Yeah, the food at Charlie O's is not very good and kinda steep, but you don't HAVE to eat there. Sometimes I just pop in after work for the first set and have one or two drinks and leave so that I can get home at a decent hour--I get up at 4:30 AM every day!!

Again, $30 isn't all that much scratch for what you're gonna get out of the deal-3 full sets in a really tiny space among friends . . .

you are really a died-in-the-wool jazz fan, allan! houston is also playing at vibrato two nights next week but i really hate that club. people just don't listen or go there for the music and their food is really expensive! don't know what kind of cover they're charging for this gig. i think he's playing with llew matthews, pat senatore and ralph penland.

Is Llew Matthews based in LA? He did a record in October '97 with Jackie Mac on a couple of tunes - this turned out to be Jackie's next-to-last date. I wish I could get a hold of this, but the only copies I've seen on-line are pricey Japanese imports.

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

Is Llew Matthews based in LA? He did a record in October '97 with Jackie Mac on a couple of tunes - this turned out to be Jackie's next-to-last date. I wish I could get a hold of this, but the only copies I've seen on-line are pricey Japanese imports.

Bertrand.

i believe llew is based around the los angeles area. if you e-mail me, bertrand, i'll try to get more specific info for you.

best,

valerie