the Tony Mosaic

As far as the sound goes, these are probably 16bit digital recordings, so I don't think important remastering improvements are possible.

Has anyone compared the Don Pullen Mosaic Select to the original Blue Note CDs? Same situation (digital recordings), also mastered by Kurt Lundvall.

BTW, the Dexter Gordon Select says "Sound restoration and transfer: Malcolm Addey, Mastering by Kurt Lundvall" so Lundvall might just be responsible for transferring the digital masters directly to the CD master, without tweaking the sound. It may not mean anything, but the credits of the Pullen and Tony Williams Selects avoid the term "remastering"

Edited by Claude

• 2 weeks later...

Here's what it says on the discography page:

"Produced for release by Michael Cuscuna

Mastered by Kurt Lundvall"

I find that a bit of a concern. Haven't been too impressed with previous Lundvall mastered sets.

Lundvall is also doing the mastering for the new Ellington large set. Though in that case the transfers and eq are by Stephen Lasker, and I hope that his always excellent work shines through.

Edited by jazzbo

Here's what it says on the discography page:

"Produced for release by Michael Cuscuna

Mastered by Kurt Lundvall"

I find that a bit of a concern. Haven't been too impressed with previous Lundvall mastered sets.

Lundvall is also doing the mastering for the new Ellington large set. Though in that case the transfers and eq are by Stephen Lasker, and I hope that his always excellent work shines through.

The quote from Ellington discography - "24 Bit disc to digital transfer and CEDAR restoration: Steven Lasker"

Where's the mention of EQ'ing? I thought CEDAR restoration was only a digital noise removal system.

:huh:

Now was it remixed and/or remastered or not?

Hi all, I've only just joined, but have lurked in this forum for a while.

I got the Williams set today (as well as the Charles Tolliver). To me these sound like well made digital recordings. It would be interesting to compare to the original CDs, but I doubt they are improved due to extensive remastering.

• 2 months later...
:tup for this set, but esp. for ANGEL STREET, the album which makes up most of disc 2. Having listened all the way through twice now, I'd say FOREIGN INTRIGUE does the least for me... the band & Williams' writing seem to get better and better as the music progresses. I'll keep an eye out for that Tokyo recording.

• 4 months later...

I just recently picked up this set and am enjoying this like nothing in recent memory. Tony sounds so freakin' HAPPY throughout these sessions! I mean, I don't know what he sounded like in the years between his playing with Miles and this group, but his level of inspiration is truly on the level of those great Miles Quintet recordings.

His drums sound so BIG, too! I absolutely love the cover photo, where it looks like he's swingin' a frickin' redwood! And dig that SMILE! It's not hard for me to imagine him smiling like that throughout these sessions. Truly amazing stuff, and amazingly consistent throughout. This one is definitely a keeper!

:tup:tup:tup:tup:tup