The Worst Halloween Candy To Put In Someone's Bag

True story--When I was about ten years old, we walked down a side street that almost no one ventured onto because it was just three houses down the side of a hill. Two very elderly women answered the door and genuinely seemed to have no idea what trick or treating meant. After a while they came to understand that they were expected to place food items in our bags. So they disappeared into their home and then came back with old, darkened, rapidly spoiling apples and threw them into our bags with much sincere anticipation, waiting for our excited responses.

True story--When I was about ten years old, we walked down a side street that almost no one ventured onto because it was just three houses down the side of a hill. Two very elderly women answered the door and genuinely seemed to have no idea what trick or treating meant. After a while they came to understand that they were expected to place food items in our bags. So they disappeared into their home and then came back with old, darkened, rapidly spoiling apples and threw them into our bags with much sincere anticipation, waiting for our excited responses.

That's kind of a neat, definitely unique, story! If I'd been in your shoes back then -- living as you were in Romania 'cause Dad was the U.S. Ambassador -- I doubt I would have hatched such a plan to go out trick-or-treating just for the helluva it to see what might happen. :tup:crazy: Who were you dressed up as? Brezhnev?

That's kind of a neat, definitely unique, story! If I'd been in your shoes back then -- living as you were in Romania 'cause Dad was the U.S. Ambassador -- I doubt I would have hatched such a plan to go out trick-or-treating just for the helluva it to see what might happen. :tup:crazy: Who were you dressed up as? Brezhnev?

Ah, actually this took place in Wausau, Wisconsin, USA, during the LBJ Administration. I can't remember our costumes that year, but in that era they were always a plastic mask from the Ben Franklin 5 and 10 with some low grade clothing match.

Edited by Hot Ptah

Seriously caught out this evening. Last year, this estate was pretty new and ours was the only house in out road - so no action. This year there was a continuous stream of kids at the door.

My wife had some sweets that our grandsons didn't like (nice, aren't we?), but she gave them to the first bunch who came by. Then it was money. And more, and more - I've just got enough to go to the chippy tomorrow!

Must say, the costumes and masks were better than average.

Next lot is 4 November - in Yorkshire, when I was a kid, this was "mischief night"; gathering funds for fireworks the following day.

MG

Next lot is 4 November - in Yorkshire, when I was a kid, this was "mischief night"; gathering funds for fireworks the following day.

My sister first told me about Guy Fawkes Day when we were kids, and she told me that the English were celebrating Guy Fawkes. As an adult I came to the conclusion that they were celebrating the fact that he was caught.

Quite the plan. Blow up Parliament, and replace the king with a Catholic. Right up my alley! :)