2006-2007 Hot Stove Thread

Some folks might have a tough time entering a baseball thread started by you.

Not a criticism, just an observation.

Very astute observation.

Then start another f-ing one and I'll delete this.

Otherwise, piss off.

Wouldn't have expected such harsh words from a class act like yourself, Dan.

I learned long ago about getting into pissing contests with skunks. It's best to just walk away.

Sayonara, Danny boy.

that mean you'll stay away from all baseball threads I start? Good deal, because I'm going to be on top of all of them, and keeping your Yankee loving ass away will be a nice little side benefit.

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This squawking is making me long for a heatwave. At least then some stats get discussed/misinterpreted along with all the needless vitriol.

What does the Tribe have to look forward to acquisition-wise? Maybe welcoming back Ronnie Belliard after his St. Louis sabbatical. And bullpen help, lotsa bullpen help. Preferably not of the one-year-from-retirement variety ...

baby_crying_small.jpg

Is this aimed at me or the people bitching that I was the one to start this thread?

It's aimed at your behavior of late. I was looking for a photo along the lines of "it's my ball and I'm going home" but struck out.

I wish I knew the exact words of wisdom from couw that went along the lines of "chill out, talk a walk, have a beer."

Hmm, doggone it, 3 o'clock is just a wee bit early for a beer on a Monday.

baby_crying_small.jpg

Is this aimed at me or the people bitching that I was the one to start this thread?

It's aimed at your behavior of late. I was looking for a photo along the lines of "it's my ball and I'm going home" but struck out.

So, I'm the target of an utterly ridiculous attack claiming that people don't wish to post on a thread I start, but I'm the one who's being a baby.

Sounds reasonable to me.

Do you have a ranking of all organizations?

Unfortunately the Globe only reported the Red Sox being number one, and Baseball America's website requires a $62 a year fee to access. Maybe someone has a membership and can share the rest, or a more detailed report will appear elsewhere.

No surprise here, it was like Tommy Lasorda was the manager of the Twins -- ride you hot pitcher into the ground, then, too bad, your career is over. :angry:

MINNEAPOLIS -- Minnesota Twins standout left-hander Francisco Liriano has been scheduled for surgery on his ailing elbow that will most certainly keep him from pitching in 2007.

Liriano will undergo Tommy John surgery Monday in California with Dr. Lewis Yocum performing and Twins physician Dr. John Steubs assisting, the team said Friday.

The Tommy John procedure, which is a replacement of the ulnar collateral ligament, is named after the former Yankees pitcher. Recovery typically takes at least a year.

Liriano had an outstanding rookie season, going 12-3 with a 2.16 ERA, but pitched only six innings over the final two months because of pain in his left elbow. With veteran Brad Radke expected to retire, it's a big blow to Minnesota's rotation for next year.

No surprise here, it was like Tommy Lasorda was the manager of the Twins -- ride you hot pitcher into the ground, then, too bad, your career is over. :angry:

MINNEAPOLIS -- Minnesota Twins standout left-hander Francisco Liriano has been scheduled for surgery on his ailing elbow that will most certainly keep him from pitching in 2007.

Liriano will undergo Tommy John surgery Monday in California with Dr. Lewis Yocum performing and Twins physician Dr. John Steubs assisting, the team said Friday.

The Tommy John procedure, which is a replacement of the ulnar collateral ligament, is named after the former Yankees pitcher. Recovery typically takes at least a year.

Liriano had an outstanding rookie season, going 12-3 with a 2.16 ERA, but pitched only six innings over the final two months because of pain in his left elbow. With veteran Brad Radke expected to retire, it's a big blow to Minnesota's rotation for next year.

I'm not familiar with the Twins situation but what that moron did to Fernando is/was unforgivable.

Time to refocus away from the ad hominum attacks.

The Yankees announced today that they intend to pick up Gary Sheffield's $ 13 million option and trade him. Should be interesting to see who the suitors turn out to be. I know he's no spring chicken, but the guy can flat out hit the ball.

Up over and out.

The Yankees announced today that they intend to pick up Gary Sheffield's $ 13 million option and trade him. Should be interesting to see who the suitors turn out to be. I know he's no spring chicken, but the guy can flat out hit the ball.

Up over and out.

Hey Dave, did you find it amusing, like I did, that Sheff gave the Yanks a list of teams he'd "prefer" to be traded to? As if he has a limited no-trade clause, or that the Yanks are going to pay any attention to where he wants to go. Once he's gone he's someone else's headache, and I am betting that he will be shipped to the NL - the Phillies perhaps, if they can't get any of the younger free agent bats, or maybe the Cubs - so that the Yanks won't face his wrath on the field.

Dan,

I had not seen that. I'm sure the Yanks will do everything in their power to accommodate his wishes...NOT. Personally, I'd much rather see him back in the NL. That makes sense too from the standpoint of his ego. I think he believes he can still be an everyday right fielder. No full time DH'ing for Sheff. Regardless of where he winds up, this should be pretty interesting.

Up over and out.

Up over and out.

What ad hominem attacks? Lasorda ran Valenzuela right into the ground. It was criminal.

I wouldn't want Sheffield on my team (that is if I needed him although we could use a better right fielder).

Tribe deals 3B/1B Kevin Kouzmanoff and reliever Andrew Brown to Padres for 2B Josh Barfield. Tribe has Andy Marte, Victor Martinez, Ryan Garko and Casey Blake to cover 1B/3B so Kouzmanoff unlikely to get a ton of time, and Brown was out of options. Barfield is right handed, has some speed, and could possibly bat second between Sizemore and Hafner. Sophomore season may be tough (like for Peralta), as well as switching leagues, but I like the addition of Barfield. Tribe now needs to work on bullpen plus maybe one veteran bat.

The only way the Phillies would take Sheffield would be for the Yanks to take Burrell.

Lots of talk about the Phils going after Soriano. Davey Lopes, the Phils new 1st base coach, coached him this past season in Washington and loves him.

Although anyone dealing for Sheffield gets a proven big bat for $13m, but with $4.5m deferred, or $8.5m now. After a year they can let him go. The Phillies are dying to get rid of Burrell, but doesn't he have a big contract with not much production lately? He may be tough to move. Even though a lot of people are in love with Soriano for his power/speed numbers, he doesn't get on base a lot and he's not much with the glove. It seems he still can't lay off balls around his ankles.

The only way the Phillies would take Sheffield would be for the Yanks to take Burrell.

Lots of talk about the Phils going after Soriano. Davey Lopes, the Phils new 1st base coach, coached him this past season in Washington and loves him.

Although anyone dealing for Sheffield gets a proven big bat for $13m, but with $4.5m deferred, or $8.5m now. After a year they can let him go. The Phillies are dying to get rid of Burrell, but doesn't he have a big contract with not much production lately? He may be tough to move. Even though a lot of people are in love with Soriano for his power/speed numbers, he doesn't get on base a lot and he's not much with the glove. It seems he still can't lay off balls around his ankles.

Love Sheffield's hitting but he's got too much baggage. It's no secret he's not a popular guy in the club house. Burrell is staying in Philly because he is owed $27M over the next two seasons AND has a no trade clause(Thanks Ed Wade!). Not too mention he had some ridiculous avg. of .150 something w/ RISP w/ 2 outs.

Agree on Soriano. He puts up great #'s but he whiffs a lot. I saw him strike out 3 times in one game vs. the Phils this summer. Phillies have too many undisciplined batters that strike out - they don't need another. But if he hit 40+ HRs playing 1/2 his games in RFK imagine how many he would get in Philly. :wacko: Remember he was the first MLB player to have 40 doubles, HRs, and SB in a season. So you can see why Pat Gillick might be interested.

I'd really like to see Gillick spend the money to get another starter. But there's mighty slim pickin's this year.