Jimmy Smith - Easy greasy grooves

My wife wants me to do a pop compilation for her of stuff I've downloaded onto my hard drive. Before I do this, because I don't want to muck her stuff up, I thought I'd practise on some Jimmy Smith Blue Notes stuff to learn the technology (and because I want to:))

So, what I'm going to put on CD are these:

Plum nellie (from "At the organ")

All day long (from "At the organ")

Hollerin' and screamin' (from "J S trio + L D")

Since I fell for you (alt) (from "Home cookin'")

I'm just a lucky so and so (from "Standards")

Midnight special

Back at the Chicken Shack

I've found a new baby (from "JS plays Fats Waller")

Hotel happiness (from "I'm movin' on")

Bucket

When my dreamboat comes home (from "Rockin' the boat")

Any suggestions for stuff I've forgotten from his BN period? What I've selected comes to just over an hour and a quarter, so there's limited scope for additions.

Second, techy stuff. I've got itunes and Windows Media Player, both of which appear to enable me to both rip and burn tracks. Nothing else. Any thoughts on which is better? Any thoughts on whether I'll need to do anything to make the stuff all come out at about the same volume?

MG

My wife wants me to do a pop compilation for her of stuff I've downloaded onto my hard drive. Before I do this, because I don't want to muck her stuff up, I thought I'd practise on some Jimmy Smith Blue Notes stuff to learn the technology (and because I want to:))

So, what I'm going to put on CD are these:

Plum nellie (from "At the organ")

All day long (from "At the organ")

Hollerin' and screamin' (from "J S trio + L D")

Since I fell for you (alt) (from "Home cookin'")

I'm just a lucky so and so (from "Standards")

Midnight special

Back at the Chicken Shack

I've found a new baby (from "JS plays Fats Waller")

Hotel happiness (from "I'm movin' on")

Bucket

When my dreamboat comes home (from "Rockin' the boat")

Any suggestions for stuff I've forgotten from his BN period? What I've selected comes to just over an hour and a quarter, so there's limited scope for additions.

Second, techy stuff. I've got itunes and Windows Media Player, both of which appear to enable me to both rip and burn tracks. Nothing else. Any thoughts on which is better? Any thoughts on whether I'll need to do anything to make the stuff all come out at about the same volume?

MG

Some versions of Itunes offer a something to the effect of a compressor/limiter that works in conjunction with playback only; But you would need some sort of audio program to even out the volume from one song to the next on the CD itself.

I prefer Itunes over Windows Media. Whichever you use, two options to check before you burn it:

1. Be sure you uploaded the tracks for CD quality (AIFF files) and not mp3 quality.

2. You may want to go into "preferences" and adjust the amount of time/space between tracks. It usually defaults to 2 seconds between each selection, which may be too long for a comp of this nature (your choice). I think in both Windows and Itunes you have to set the time globally for the entire disc. The program "Toast" lets you vary the amount of space between tracks within a single disc. Hope that helps.

As for Jimmy Smith, how about the title track from "I'm Movin' On?" Or is that not pop enough?

Edited by Teasing the Korean

Some versions of Itunes offer a something to the effect of a compressor/limiter that works in conjunction with playback only; But you would need some sort of audio program to even out the volume from one song to the next on the CD itself.

I prefer Itunes over Windows Media. Whichever you use, two options to check before you burn it:

1. Be sure you uploaded the tracks for CD quality (AIFF files) and not mp3 quality.

2. You may want to go into "preferences" and adjust the amount of time/space between tracks. It usually defaults to 2 seconds between each selection, which may be too long for a comp of this nature (your choice). I think in both Windows and Itunes you have to set the time globally for the entire disc. The program "Toast" lets you vary the amount of space between tracks within a single disc. Hope that helps.

As for Jimmy Smith, how about the title track from "I'm Movin' On?" Or is that not pop enough?

Thanks TTK.

I've got itunes v7.0.1.8. Does that help tell you whether the compressor will be doing its stuff or not. And should I have it on or off? (I didn't quite mean that :) )

MG

Thanks TTK.

I've got itunes v7.0.1.8. Does that help tell you whether the compressor will be doing its stuff or not. And should I have it on or off? (I didn't quite mean that :) )

MG

I don't think the compressor effects how the burned CD comes out; It only evens out levels during playback through Itunes.

Thanks TTK.

MG

I don't think the compressor effects how the burned CD comes out; It only evens out levels during playback through Itunes.

Oh, thanks.

MG

I'm just trying this in itunes. I wasn't offered any kind of option when I uploaded the first track. After it had finished, I right clicked on the title and it offered me the option of converting it to AAC. Is that the right format to burn a CD from, so it plays on anything?

MG

I'm just trying this in itunes. I wasn't offered any kind of option when I uploaded the first track. After it had finished, I right clicked on the title and it offered me the option of converting it to AAC. Is that the right format to burn a CD from, so it plays on anything?

MG

Go to Edit > Preferences > Advanced > Importing.

"Setting" should be High Quality

For burning CDs, "Import Using" can basically be any of those options EXCEPT mp3.

MG

Go to Edit > Preferences > Advanced > Importing.

"Setting" should be High Quality

For burning CDs, "Import Using" can basically be any of those options EXCEPT mp3.

Thanks.

MG

Things on hold a bit, as I found that I can't use reusable discs if I want to play the material off the computer, which I do. Discs to buy.

MG

Do you mean CD-RWs? Those won't work as audio discs, apparently.

Yes - CD-RWs. I've got a bunch of CD-Rs now and it works OK. It's a bit quiet, however; have to wind to volume up a bit.

MG