Art Tatum - Ben Webster Quartet Verve MGV-8220

Jason Drake

I have an elderly relative who has asked me if I can sell this..but I'm thinking if its not too expensive I'll just give them the cash and take it for myself. Any one got a rough value ? E- Bay has a mint copy going for $50..the copy I have is probably arounf VG (i am not an expert grader, but it plays very well but the cover has lost some of its gloss/shine). I dont want to short change my aunt so would like to pay what its worth. Any suggestions gratefully received.

I've tried to paste the cover shot below but not confident that it was successful.

$50 would be an OK price for a Mint copy but half that would be allright for the current state of the copy you describe. If it's an original it should have a Verve Records Inc. lettering at the bottom of the labels (if it's MGM letterings, it is not an original release and is worth less).

And chewy is absolutely right!

$50 would be an OK price for a Mint copy but half that would be allright for the current state of the copy you describe. If it's an original it should have a Verve Records Inc. lettering at the bottom of the labels (if it's MGM letterings, it is not an original release and is worth less).

And chewy is absolutely right!

NM, 50 $ ? i'll take ten copies of this one. :w

[

NM, 50 $ ? i'll take ten copies of this one. :w

Hell, man! I'd go $60 ea for ten NM copies. Then I'd sell them over the next two years and MORE than double my money. I've seen this one sell for $150 several times.

Heck, even the MGM pressings can fetch $50 these days!

That was exactly what i meant. :huh:

Then I should have bought the trumpet copy (near mint) I saw last time I visited the Princeton Record Exchange. It was priced at 44.99 or 49.99, can't remember for sure. But under $50!

Yes, at 50 it is a bargain - (anyway it depends when was the last time you visit prex ) :rolleyes:

Edited by Michel

I've never heard this but sure would like to. Have to wonder though: how does Red Callender sound on this? I always find that he kinda drags down the AT record with Papa Jo.

:ph34r:

I have no problem with Red Callender on this session even if he is not exactly in the same category as Tatum and Webster but this meeting turned into one of those albums that belong in the desert island list!

One to get!

I have this LP in near mint condition (polyethylene sleeve covering the jacket) with "MGM Records" listed on the bottom circumference of the Verve label and with a looseleaf hole punch in the bottom left corner of the jacket. It indeed is a wonderful record which is why I also have it on CD and would part with the LP for a good price.

Another great recorded collaboration which I also have on a Verve LP release ("MGM" again on the bottom part of the label) is the one Tatum did with DeFranco and the same rhythm section as on the Webster. It's a terrific record, one I'm certain that DeFranco is proud to have done. What's that one going for these days?

Another great recorded collaboration which I also have on a Verve LP release ("MGM" again on the bottom part of the label) is the one Tatum did with DeFranco and the same rhythm section as on the Webster. It's a terrific record, one I'm certain that DeFranco is proud to have done. What's that one going for these days?

The Tatum-de Franco original is not as sought-after as the Tatum-Webster LP. And the MGM label means the copy is a second generation one. The Verve albums that fetch money these days are the ones with the trumpet player label!