Stanley Turrentine

Jazz Kat

Am I right that one of the new Japanese LTs is new to CD?

I am pretty sure all the stuff by ST has made it to US cds.

I took another look, and Ain't No Way, a quartet with Tyner, is the one I can't pin down...

I believe the majority of that session was issued as bonus tracks on "Easy Walker". The title track (with Shirley Scott) was issued as a bonus track on "Common Touch".

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I right that one of the new Japanese LTs is new to CD?

I am pretty sure all the stuff by ST has made it to US cds.

I took another look, and Ain't No Way, a quartet with Tyner, is the one I can't pin down...

I believe the majority of that session was issued as bonus tracks on "Easy Walker". The title track (with Shirley Scott) was issued as a bonus track on "Common Touch".

Ah ah ah. Got it - thanks!

Anyone ever seen a CD of 'ZT's blues'?

One of my favourite ST albums, with GG & Tommy Flanagan.

MG

There is one but I don't have it.

looks like there is the "on-demand" version available at amazon, but a number of used copies in the $15 range

nice session, I played it to death when this came out in the mid-80s ...

Edited by Eric

Anyone ever seen a CD of 'ZT's blues'?

One of my favourite ST albums, with GG & Tommy Flanagan.

MG

I had the vinyl in the late 80's. For some reason I sold it and never replaced it. I should track it down again too. It would be like a new release to me after all this time. I remember reading a review at the time in Downbeat or Wire (can't remember which one) saying that this session was fairly weak and could have stayed unreleased. I remember it as very much a standards session with a similar feel to the Born To Be Blue album first released around the same time. Just a bit more low key, but same feel. Big Tenor, beautiful piano and of course GG.

• 2 years later...

Of his later period, what can someone suggest as a purchase? I see his lps in the bends all the time but the covers scare me away!

If you only want "great" albums in your collection, don't bother. If you don't mind forking out small beer for an album that's merely enjoyable, and honest though commercial, pick up "Everybody come on out" or "Use the stairs" both on Fantasy LPs which I'm sure you can find cheap, or "More than a mood" (Music Masters), which is straight ahead stuff with Freddie Hubbard (and that one's deleted, too).

MG

--->

• 8 months later...