Tomasz Stanko....

sheldonm

Nice work (once again), Mark!

Stanko needs to find a new pair of glasses, though.

But they match his suit! :lol:

I feel so lucky to have seen his band last year on St. Patrick's Day at the Shedd. He went from a packed house the night before in Chicago to a small crowd the next day in Eugene, but what a performance!

Quincy, I was at that show, too. Except I was out in the lobby (as The Shedd doesn't let volunteers watch the show :( ). Still, it was a good one. (CDWorld currently has a used copy of Soul of Things, by the way. Somebody's been selling off their Stanko there. I picked up Litania about two weeks ago from the used bins there.)

Quincy, I was at that show, too. Except I was out in the lobby (as The Shedd doesn't let volunteers watch the show :( ). Still, it was a good one. (CDWorld currently has a used copy of Soul of Things, by the way. Somebody's been selling off their Stanko there. I picked up Litania about two weeks ago from the used bins there.)

I'll be durned. I saw ya I'm sure as I went in between sets for a glass. (I greatly enjoyed taking a glass of wine back to my seat after intermission, though I'm not sure I was really supposed to do that. But it made the show even better. :)) 'Tis a shame you didn't see his release of fluid drain from the spit valve just before he started the 2nd set! It was so punk. :lol: I ended up passing the piano player in a hallway after the show and blurted out something like "great show, thank you so much." What can I say, I was starstruck after his performance.

There have been some dandy used finds lately. I picked up an impeccable used Impulse! digipac of Blakey's A Jazz Message today at House of Records. I needed another Blakey like I needed another leaf on the ground in the front yard, and though I recently bought the Stitt Mosaic I guess I'm not tired of his playing.

Getting sidetracked further into local used disc shopping, I sometimes wonder if I'm coming across your "victims of the upgrade cycle" now & then. ;) Certainly there are Mosaic fans in town who might not post here, as last spring I saw 2 discs that are part of the Dexter select.

Thanks for the Stanko heads up. I've noticed both CD World & House Of Records often have 1 cutout copy each of the latest RVGs within a week of their release. I always forget this and preorder a couple anyway, but I've ended up adding the ones that I was on the fence about for less than CD Universe a few times.

so what did you think of the show? i saw them last night, and while i enjoyed them, no one except the painist really bowled me over. there's something about seeing an ecm artist live, without the aid of the "ecm recorded sound" that sounds funny to me, like something's missing.

Rob,

I thought the show was very good and agree with you that other than the pianist, not a lot of fire with the drummer/bassist.....keep in mind I don't know what the fuck I'm talking about :) .....I'm not really a reviewer but I really enjoyed the show. :tup

m~

Sheldon;

I was also at the 10 PM show last Wednesday at the HotHouse as I was in town for business. It turned out to be my second stop that night as I caught the first set of the Dave Holland Quintet at the Jazz Showcase earlier that evening. I felt the urge to visit Jazz Showcase once more before their move while I was in town.

Did you get a set list for the 10 PM show? We arrived a little late and had to stand since there was an incredibly large crowd for the second set (I saw a sign that stipulated a 198 person maximum for fire code).

There had to be close to 300 people at the second set!

Great evening of music for both shows!

LWayne :D

Sheldon;

I was also at the 10 PM show last Wednesday at the HotHouse as I was in town for business. It turned out to be my second stop that night as I caught the first set of the Dave Holland Quintet at the Jazz Showcase earlier that evening. I felt the urge to visit Jazz Showcase once more before their move while I was in town.

Did you get a set list for the 10 PM show? We arrived a little late and had to stand since there was an incredibly large crowd for the second set (I saw a sign that stipulated a 198 person maximum for fire code).

There had to be close to 300 people at the second set!

Great evening of music for both shows!

LWayne :D

LWayne,

I did not get the set list for the 10:pm show as everyone was pretty much ushered out after the first show; the second was sold out (actually free to Hot House members). I thought about running over to the Showcase for the Holland late show but I had just seen him the night before in Indy so I took off for my hotel instead. My next trip to the Showcase will probably be 11/12 for Alexander/Mabern Quartet....

m~

I caught their first set on Monday at Blues Alley in Washington. The room was packed, largely it seems, with folks that do not go out much to hear live acoustic music. [Maybe some from Polish Embassy??] The quartet played well, but I enjoyed their last DC visit more. Tomasz was going for it on some very soft, or "vulnerable" lines, and not succeeding too much (especially amidst the excessive chatter--hey, I realize I'm not at an orchestra concert, or staring at museum pieces at the art gallery, but...) Like others, I was particularly impressed by the pianist Marcin Wasilewski. I'll have to listen to the rhythm section's trio debut on ECM a bit more.

I like Tomasz' (well-documented) specs and blazer combo.