True or False?

While listening to the radio tonight, a fill in DJ on the local jazz station made a comment that I kind of struggle with.

While pimping a show for some swing band coming to town, he made the comparison of the band sounding like Prima.

The comments made was....,"these guys play original stuff, and cover tunes by Louie Prima, and guys like that from the late 40's."That was when jazz transitioned into R&B which then transitioned into Rock&Roll."

My complaint with this is the use of the word "transitioned". The last time I checked, this word was a noun and not a verb. I've recently heard it used as a verb a lot i.e., "The regime in Iraq has transitioned to a new era."

I'm not someone who obsesses over language abuse or spelling, but sometimes the lack of language skills (in the media especially) makes me go NUCULAR, IRREGARDLESS of context!!!!

I'd have much less of a problem if he had said "Swing" instead of jazz. There was a fork in the road somewhere, and "Swing" went one way, and "Jazz" another. But they stayed within shouting distance of each other for quite a while, and at times still do. So I get what he thinks he means.

But he's wrong on one crucial, if only implied, point. Prima didn't really get into the "jump" bag until '55 or so, when he hooked up w/Sam Butera. Prior to that, he was almost there, but not quite. Butera deserves a LOT of credit in this regard.

I find that a lot of people I talk to have this very linear view of history. "This led to that, which led to the other thing, etc." So some people I talk to are surprised to hear that jazz is anything more than "revival" music. They thought that jazz (or swing, which is the same thing to many people) DID turn into R&B, which then turned into Rock n' Roll. So they assume that any jazz played today is just an imitation of earlier styles (which, of course, it is in some cases). Of course, the music industry encourages this to a certain extent. If you look at the history of Rock n' Roll, it's pretty obvious that Rock was dead by 1960. By that point, Buddy Holly, Richie Valence, The Big Bopper, and Eddie Cochrane were all dead, Elvis was in the army, Chuck Berry and Jerry Lee Lewis were both in disgrace, and Little Richard had returned to the church. What was left was a smooth pop IMITATION of Rock n' Roll. It wasn't until the British Invasion (which was itself a Chuck Berry revival) that what we've come to call ROCK was born.

Of course, both the Blues and R&B continued on their own paths well after the birth of R&R. Life isn't as simple as some people would like to believe...

FALSE!

Sorry, what was the "question?''

Also, how do I utilize these other wonderful features such as FONT, SIZE, COLOR, http://, which I'm already familiar with on another board? It doesn't work the same here, though it looks the same. I'm very frustrated with these four features!

What do you mean?

(In Normal Mode:) Use the Bold button as a toggle switch--click it when you want to open boldface, then click it again when you want to close boldface. (Ditto for the Italic, Underline, and Quote buttons--and maybe others.)

(Also in Normal Mode:) One can close any open tags all at once by clicking on Close All Tags, but I can't figure out how to close the tags for Font, Size, and Color individually (in an efficient manner).

Can you help, folks?

I'm finding that the http:// feature works pretty much the way that we're used to, Ron, except that one specifies the URL first and the text to be displayed second instead of vice versa. Just delete "My Webpage" and specify the actual text.

link to a nefarious rival jazz message board

And as always, simply typing (or pasting) a URL in the proper form (including the http:// part) will create a link:

http://www.jazzcornertalk.com/speakeasy/

Edited by bluenoter

Can you help, folks?

This has almost slid off the first page of active topics, so I thought I'd bring it back up.

I haven't really spent enough time to figure everything out. When I have tried things like enlarged color, I've struggled, gone the trial and error way, and then moved on without really mastering any of it.

Ron, in terms of using FONT/SIZE/COLOR, any of these (and any combination) can be easily accomplished by first selecting something from the pull-down menu (such as "Impact" from the "FONT" menu), then typing in your text, and then just clicking on "Close all Tags". Let me try a "triple", just to make sure...

Impact / largest (size 14) / purple

I'm having some technical issues with this posting window right now. This has happened to me a few times before. I think I'll start a new post to experiment with individual tag closing...

Edited by Jim R

Thanks, Jim. I'm especially interested in finding out whether Font, Size, and Color can be closed individually, without using Close All Tags (or typing codes manually).

P.S.--Please excuse our discussing this topic here instead of in Organissimo - Forum Discussion, or maybe someone will move the relevant posts there.

Edited by bluenoter

My apologies for moving the thread topic off track. I was just complaining about this myself on another thread, so I now have egg on my face.

Don't worry, Ron. We (mostly I) continued the discussion on the "wrong track" (or something like that).

Edited by bluenoter