LF: Some advice about buying a turntable.

Bol

I've just inherited some OOP Mosaic LP sets. I do not have a turntable, and would like to get one, but have no idea how to proceed. What I would like is something reasonable (no more than say $300), but something that will make good sound and would not damage these rare LPs. Also, eventually, I would like to be able to download the music on these LPs to some CDRs and/or a harddrive so that I can play the music easily without the fear of damaging the LPs. As far as I can see, my amplifier does not have a phono jack. It has an AUX jack. Any advice on what to get and how to proceed?

Check the used record stores in your area. Such stores sometimes sell record players. You can get a decent machine that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, and you can have the benefit of checkng it out before you buy. If you can't find a store that sells used, Best Buy does sell turntables. You'd have to price them, however, since I'm not sure how much a good one retails for.

Avoid buying a belt drive turntable. Get a direct drive.

If your stereo doesn't have a "phono" jack, you'll probably have to buy a preamp. Some turntables have the preamp built-in, but older ones do not.

Well, you can buy a new Pro-Ject turntable with their proprietory tone-arm, cartridge and integrated phono stage [Pro-Ject Debut III/Phono], or you can get a used Rega [that's what I'd do, anyway]. In that case you will need a phono stage, otherwise you won't be able to play records. Your aux jack isn't going to cut it. Tutnable output signal in milli-volts, that's why you need a phono stage. Best advise anyone can give you is to go to this place for your turntable basic training -

http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/vinyl/bbs.html

It took me three used turn-tables to finally find the one that I am happy with ~ a used b&o with a new stylus from Sound Stage. I was all ready to go with the set up like Dmitry is talking about until I realized it would be a manual turntable. I listen to records a lot while I am working, so getting up to return the tone-arm would drive me nuts. Good luck you should be able to find something for your budget, the hard part is deciding what you want.

If you are to check the condition of a used turntable, you should get a second hand one. New decent turntables start at $200 (Pro-ject Debut and the like), but on the second hand market you can get a very good TT for under $300.

I don't agree with the direct drive recommendation. There are not technically inferior or prone to problems. 90% of the turntables on the market today are belt driven, only the ones made for DJ use (like the legendary Technics 1200) are direct drive.

Edited by Claude

Thanks to everyone for helpful advice. Let me ask a follow-up question. If the turntable I buy has a built-in phono equalizer, how do I connect it to my stereo system? Do I connect it using the AUX input? Or do I have to connect my speakers directly to the turntable? Sorry to be such a dolt about this. As you can see, I am a complete innocent when it comes to audio equipment. I think Gary Giddins once said something like not knowing the high-end (audio) from one's rear end. That's me.

Edited by Bol

Second (third?) the Pro-Ject/Music Hall tables from Audio Advisor, or look for a used one on Audiogon. Also, most audiophiles would recommend a belt drive table over a direct drive.

I've never owned a belt drive that didn't have terrible "wowing" problems. No matter how often I adjusted it, it was only a matter of days before I started having problems again.

My direct drive hasn't given me a bit of trouble since the day I bought it (used) over a year and a half ago.

• 7 months later...

Can someone tell me the fundamental differences (other than price) between the turntables @ ~$300: Pro ject Debut, Music Hall MMF2.1, Rega P1 and the turntables that become increasingly expensive? What exactly does your money get you?

Seems to me, if I buy a turntable, I am going to have to spend just as much money on the preamp/amp. So, all in all, just to get my feet wet, before I even begin to hunt down an original pressing of Air Time (which will be one of my first records... and yes, I understand that I am going to have a very small collection for a very long time!), I am easily $600 out.

I am serious about this, though I know I can't afford it right now. Even if I could, the money ought to go toward getting my bars tuned/polished/etc.

p.s. Bol, what did you end up buying?

Can someone tell me the fundamental differences (other than price) between the turntables @ ~$300: Pro ject Debut, Music Hall MMF2.1, Rega P1 and the turntables that become increasingly expensive? What exactly does your money get you?

Seems to me, if I buy a turntable, I am going to have to spend just as much money on the preamp/amp. So, all in all, just to get my feet wet, before I even begin to hunt down an original pressing of Air Time (which will be one of my first records... and yes, I understand that I am going to have a very small collection for a very long time!), I am easily $600 out.

I am serious about this, though I know I can't afford it right now. Even if I could, the money ought to go toward getting my bars tuned/polished/etc.

In theory the more money you spend, the less impact the device playing the record will have on hearing the music on the record: less rumble from motors, less ambient vibrations affecting the sound, a better cartridge to translate those grooves more accurately into music.

Music for the money I would go vintage. There were some incredible turntables made in the 70's that were designed to last a lifetime plus. I am very lucky in that my local dealer will let me test drive everything, so I have a chance to make sure it works and that the price is reasonable.

Currently I am deeply in love with my new 1970's Thorens TD-125 MkII. For about $300 bucks with a nice Shure V15 cartridge it is hard to imagine any thing new for this price ever coming close in qualilty.

I know two guys that make part of their living picking up used tables and amps through the want ads and garage sales and turning them for a profit. So there is lots of good used stuff out there.

Bill

Edited by (BB)

In theory the more money you spend, the less impact the device playing the record will have on hearing the music on the record: less rumble from motors, less ambient vibrations affecting the sound, a better cartridge to translate those grooves more accurately into music.

Music for the money I would go vintage. There were some incredible turntables made in the 70's that were designed to last a lifetime plus. I am very lucky in that my local dealer will let me test drive everything, so I have a chance to make sure it works and that the price is reasonable.

Currently I am deeply in love with my new 1970's Thorens TD-125 MkII. For about $300 bucks with a nice Shure V15 cartridge it is hard to imagine any thing new for this price ever coming close in qualilty.

I know two guys that make part of their living picking up used tables and amps through the want ads and garage sales and turning them for a profit. So there is lots of good used stuff out there.

Bill

I agree, unless you have a very high end system a vintage turntable like the Thorens is a great option, the model to consider are the TD124, TD125,TD160

or even better TD160 Super, just make sure they are in good working condition.

Then it would be nice to find one of the above turntable fitted with a SME3

arm, and the Shure V15 Mk cartridge is hard to beat and being a moving magnet

would not require any head amp.

These particular Thorens turntables are very well made and should last a life time.

Another option is a Linn Sondek lp 12 but they are more tricky to get to work well.

Bill

I agree, unless you have a very high end system a vintage turntable like the Thorens is a great option, the model to consider are the TD124, TD125,TD160

These particular Thorens turntables are very well made and should last a life time.

Another option is a Linn Sondek lp 12 but they are more tricky to get to work well.

Ok, and how difficult is it to find *that* combination in good working condition for a fair price?

Bill

Ok, and how difficult is it to find *that* combination in good working condition for a fair price?

The Thorens/SME arm and Shure cartridges where standard combinations thus it should not be impossible. A little searching will obviously be necessary.

If you find something with out a working cartridge you can always pick up a Shure M97xE for under $100, I've seen them go new for less than $70.

I have also had great experience with a Sony PSX 6. Well built with a good motor and since they don't have the cult-like following of some other brands I think you can really get a lot for you money.

I have never played around with some of the nicer Technics and Pioneer tables, but I know they have their fans as well.

Vinyl Engine

This place has a nice gallery so you can get an idea of what specific models look like and an easily to search forum.

One of the strongest selling points for the Thorens and Linn tables is the ability to upgrade by easily changing out tonearms and modifying the plinths etc...

I'ts a lot more work than just ordering a TT from a catalog, but I actually enjoy checking out all the old gear.

I just bought the Audio Technica AT-PL120 from Amazon for about $160. Supposedly, it's the same manufacturer as the Technics 1200. I didn't want to spend more than $200 and I quite happy with the purchase. I also picked up another headshell and a Shure M78S cartridge to play 78s (having a few problems with distortion on the 78 cartridge probably because I hooked it up wrong). But I'm quite impressed with this turntable.

I was playing LPs on an 1980s Sony turntable (which still sounds good), but this is honestly a little bit better...

A used Linn LP12 goes for much more then the budget required, expecially if you have to replace the cartdrige.

I lived happy for a long time with my Thorens TD166 with his tonearm, a Thorens TP 90, I think. I replaced the cheap Stanton cartdrige after a couple of years with a Sumiko. And it sounded great. Four years ago I bought a new LINN front end, power supply, phono stage, cartdrige, tonearm...and it's another story.

Edited by porcy62