Transferring 78s question

Dan Gould

I'm cleaning up the pops and clicks on a CD of 78 transfers, and I've realized something odd:

They are mono recordings (obviously) yet the pops always show up in the wav form much more pronounced in one channel or the other (or only in one channel).

How is this so? Would a stereo cartridge take a click and put it to one channel instead of both?

I realize this isn't that critical, but I have to say I find it very surprising.

I'm cleaning up the pops and clicks on a CD of 78 transfers, and I've realized something odd:

They are mono recordings (obviously) yet the pops always show up in the wav form much more pronounced in one channel or the other (or only in one channel).

How is this so? Would a stereo cartridge take a click and put it to one channel instead of both?

I realize this isn't that critical, but I have to say I find it very surprising.

A stereo groove is different on each side. A mono groove is the same on both sides. If a 78 - or any mono record - gets damaged, it might be worse on one side of the groove than the other and that will translate into a stereo sound. And yes, it's the same with a stereo cartridge.

MG

Yes. With a mono cartridge you'd get the same thing on either channel.

But, if you have one quiet channel, take a Y chord and use that channel for L and R.

In general, mono records, whether 33. 45. or78 sound better played with mono cartridges.

But, if you have one quiet channel, take a Y chord and use that channel for L and R.

In general, mono records, whether 33. 45. or78 sound better played with mono cartridges.

So I guess the guy with the extensive collection of 78s hasn't invested in a mono cartridge for best playback. Oh well. I got these old blues 78s comps he's put together which are pretty cool and has lots of obscure tracks (including two tracks off of B.B. King's short-lived label, Blues Boy King, which fetched $100 last time on ebay) but I wanted to do somethng with the fidelity. I still don't get how a stereo cartridge would put a pop in one channel and not both, but ...

Now I need to decide about noise reduction. Some of the tracks have such a prominent sizzling noise floor ... sorry Allen, I know how you feel about that stuff.

So I guess the guy with the extensive collection of 78s hasn't invested in a mono cartridge for best playback. Oh well. I got these old blues 78s comps he's put together which are pretty cool and has lots of obscure tracks (including two tracks off of B.B. King's short-lived label, Blues Boy King, which fetched $100 last time on ebay) but I wanted to do somethng with the fidelity. I still don't get how a stereo cartridge would put a pop in one channel and not both, but ...

Now I need to decide about noise reduction. Some of the tracks have such a prominent sizzling noise floor ... sorry Allen, I know how you feel about that stuff.

If you don't have a mono cartridge, at the very least you need to combine left and right signal and sum it to mono. Why? because the surface noise is in stereo if you play it with a stereo cartridge; and by summing the signal to mono, you will reduce the ratio of the noise/groove distortion level to the main music level. That is, you'll reduce the surface noise and strengthen the signal of the music.

Edited by Teasing the Korean

If you don't have a mono cartridge, at the very least you need to combine left and right signal and sum it to mono. Why? because the surface noise is in stereo if you play it with a stereo cartridge; and by summing the signal to mono, you will reduce the ratio of the noise/groove distortion level to the main music level. That is, you'll reduce the surface noise and strengthen the signal of the music.

As I thought I made plain above, these are not my recordings. Someone else made the transfers of the original 78s to digital. I am playing with the digital versions using Goldwave.

Your suggestion had me intrigued so I took the first track, which I had edited for pops and amped up the signal because it was recorded low, and I saved it as a mono file. There's definitely an improvement in signal to noise, though its subtle. However, I think this is a way to reduce the noise bed without using the software's NR function. That cleans up the recording nicely but it definitely leaves it sounding a bit compressed and squished.

As I thought I made plain above, these are not my recordings. Someone else made the transfers of the original 78s to digital. I am playing with the digital versions using Goldwave.

a noble, useful task. perhaps people are implying, plainly, that you oughta do yr own damn research if you are so so sooooOO concerned about it, & don't expect those of us who been there already to tutor yr digital ass. i'm hoping this is a plain enough response.

Clementine R.T. Towers Lasker Nevins Addey Bussard III (a prince)

And I hope this is a plain enough response:

FUCK YOU ASSHOLE

Your suggestion had me intrigued so I took the first track, which I had edited for pops and amped up the signal because it was recorded low, and I saved it as a mono file. There's definitely an improvement in signal to noise, though its subtle. However, I think this is a way to reduce the noise bed without using the software's NR function. That cleans up the recording nicely but it definitely leaves it sounding a bit compressed and squished.

I was using the editorial "you," rather than addressing you in the second person. Sorry for the confusion.