How did you take advantage of the Tower sale?

I CANT WAIT FOR 90% OFF DAY. THERE IS NO WAY I CAN MISS THAT. SO LETS SAY THE AVG JAZZ CD IS 11.99, ORF 12.99, W/ A 90% DISC. WHAT IS IT, LIKE 2 BUCKS? THIS IS GOING TO BE INSANITY. I ACTUALLY ALMOST SPLURGED ON A DVD SET TODAY, IT WAS SOME MARY TYLER MOORE STYLE SHOW BUT 60S ERA, I DONT REMEMBER THE NAME OF THE SHOW BUT THE CHICK WAS REALLY HOT, HER NAME IT SAID WAS MARLO THOMAS. IS THAT A GOOD SHOW?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I CANT WAIT FOR 90% OFF DAY. THERE IS NO WAY I CAN MISS THAT. SO LETS SAY THE AVG JAZZ CD IS 11.99, ORF 12.99, W/ A 90% DISC. WHAT IS IT, LIKE 2 BUCKS? THIS IS GOING TO BE INSANITY. I ACTUALLY ALMOST SPLURGED ON A DVD SET TODAY, IT WAS SOME MARY TYLER MOORE STYLE SHOW BUT 60S ERA, I DONT REMEMBER THE NAME OF THE SHOW BUT THE CHICK WAS REALLY HOT, HER NAME IT SAID WAS MARLO THOMAS. IS THAT A GOOD SHOW?

I can't effin believe you, Chewy.

MG

Really, the 4th and BWay store would have to go to 50% off to compete with a normal J&R sale. Every now and then they sell Universal (incl. Impulse) and BN discs for $6.99. The only thing about that Tower for me was the convenience factor (want to grab a disc, don't want to walk down to City Hall).

• 5 weeks later...

Took advantage of their 33% sale this afternoon.

Too many to list here, but I did save $155.55 - woo-hoo! :party:

The Trikont titles that I had my eyes on were gone tho :(

Cali's right! I noticed stuff at the store that I hadn't seen before the sale.

Is stuff being trucked in from other areas in order to spread it out or something?

There was a customer at the counter nickle and diming about the price of his purchase :rolleyes:

I kinda thought that there might be some confusion from those who are innumerate

when it comes to percentages off - especially when Tower does those "today only" 10% extra off discounts.

Anyway, still plenty of jazz and classical left -

actually, some of those fixtures that they have for sale looked pretty good...

They were even selling a nice wall display that looked like one of those long wall TVs,

but it had a poster of one of the recent ECM covers inside - changeable with your own artwork I think.

Don't forget, your local store may be selling empty jewel and DVD cases

(single, dual and four disc) for real cheeeeeeep!

Took advantage of their 33% sale this afternoon.

Too many to list here, but I did save $155.55 - woo-hoo! :party:

The Trikont titles that I had my eyes on were gone tho :(

Cali's right! I noticed stuff at the store that I hadn't seen before the sale.

Is stuff being trucked in from other areas in order to spread it out or something?

Well, can't say for sure, but a few years ago, I bought tons and tons of VHS tapes that they shipped to the Atlanta store from all over the country. They were supposed to be kind of outlet store as well as new "product"(Hate that word, and bet Ghost or anyone else who has worked at bookstores, etc do too!) store. I was selling New oop MGM musicals for $50 that I was buying for $5! :blink: So, after several trips to the store,(And walking out with dozens of big bags each time) a smart manager said I could check out the stuff they had in back. So, I dug thru tons of boxes they had no room for on the floor. I grabbed what I could afford, and after doing this a couple times, the main videos left were mainly classical/opera VHS . I was going to grab those, but the brilliant GM decided to send everything to other stores, even though they were the outlet store.

Anywho, long story short, they had many other boxes with oddball stuff laying around. I imagine some stores had cds that they couldn't return for various reasons, plus special orders that were never picked up(It happens all the time) plus stuff selling better at one location over another. I saw this happen in Atlanta when Media Plays shut down, I would see the same DVDs in mass at one store, disappear, then show up at another location when the discount was steeper.

The reason that people are beginning to see old Japanese titles and similar items at certain Tower stores is because Great American is shipping all of the stuff that is sitting in Bayside's (a distributor owned by Tower) warehouse. For instance, I picked up an old TOCJ of Dizzy Reece's "Trinity in Blue" in Laguna Hills the other day, and I saw an old TOCJ of Tina Brook's "Minor Move" in the Glendale store the other week. The Laguna Hills store also received, among other things, at least 30 copies of a Japanese pressing of the MPS album, "Mirror, Mirror".

It is my understanding that some Tower stores are receiving disproportionately more from the Bayside warehouse because Great American plans to close, for various reasons, certain Tower stores before others.

I will probably take another peek inside Tower Laguna just before Thanksgiving day, but I want no part of it Thanksgiving weekend when I am certain (but I could be wrong) that the discount for most CD's will reach 50% off.

Sifted through the remains in the jazz section with 40% sale. Not too much left. Picked up a number of old RVGs: Life Time, Destination Out, Out to Lunch, Idle Moments, Dippin' plus Monk/Coltrane 1957 Riverside, Mose Allison Sings, Ben Allison Medicine Wheel, Cannonball Adderley's Fiddler on the Roof. 9 titles, including one double, for a total of $78.03.

Any opinions on the Martial Solal/Dave Douglas duo recording? Still had a stack of those.

Edited by Patrick

I dropped by the Dallas location today and browsed an hour or so. I was proud opf myself. Depsite having several CDs and an LP in hand, I changed my mind and only bought three magazines (a current issue of Cadence and two motorcycle mags @ 75% off).

I spotted a couple 180 gram blue note reissues (Lee Morgan's Sidewinder and Herbie Hancock's Maiden Voyage). At $9.99 each I was very tempted. There was several copies of each, so I am going to tempt fate and go back next month. Maybe the discount on LPs will be 50% or more by then.

Edited by slide_advantage_redoux

I spotted a couple 180 gram blue note reissues (Lee Morgan's Sidewinder and Herbie Hancock's Maiden Voyage). At $9.99 each I was very tempted. There was several copies of each, so I am going to tempt fate and go back next month. Maybe the discount on LPs will be 50% or more by then.

I bet you the discount will increase to 50% off this Thursday (will Tower be open on Thanksgiving now that it is being run by Great American?) or Friday. Keep your ears open (I am sure that it will be reported here on this board if it does increase), and try visiting Tower next Monday night (unless you enjoy braving the shopping crowds on Thanksgiving weekend.)

I was at the Lincoln Center Tower yesterday and picked up 3 CDs - Aaron Sachs Fresh Sounds CD, a Joe Thomas LRC cheapie and Groove Holmes/New Groove CD from Unidisc/Groove Merchant reissue.

Not to sound mean, but looking thru the store, I can see why they filed for bankruptcy. Who was doing the buying for the chain? Tons of crap there. Did the rock buyer really think they were going to sell so many copies of Bruce Springsteen Japanese reissues and at $30-$40 a pop? There were probably 20-30 of each title. I really don't see how they possibly could've sold them.

There were other large quantities of no-name jazz artists in the Jazz section. Plus I'm sure they have a deal with cutout distributors already and have packed up/sold some of their inventory. I just found it weird that there was only 1 Horace Silver title sitting there or the Best of Donald Byrd, but no other Byrd titles....

I bet you the discount will increase to 50% off this Thursday (will Tower be open on Thanksgiving now that it is being run by Great American?) or Friday. Keep your ears open (I am sure that it will be reported here on this board if it does increase), and try visiting Tower next Monday night (unless you enjoy braving the shopping crowds on Thanksgiving weekend.)

The Tower in Atlanta will be open 11 to 7 or 1 to 7 Thanksgiving. Having worked in retail for many a year, I REALLY don't like the idea of stores being open on turkey day. You get paid shit, work crappy hours, week-ends, and now you are supposed to work on a day nearly everyone else is off as well??

The Tower in Atlanta will be open 11 to 7 or 1 to 7 Thanksgiving. Having worked in retail for many a year, I REALLY don't like the idea of stores being open on turkey day. You get paid shit, work crappy hours, week-ends, and now you are supposed to work on a day nearly everyone else is off as well??

Join a union, young man! Work to reduce the exploitation of the working class by the fat cat Republicans!

MG

Today, there was a 50-70% sale - the 70% mostly fell in the rap section.

Most of the stuff I wanted doesn't get bought here in this city,

so I was still able to bring home a hefty number of discs - about $500 worth

cut in half or better - too many to list...and I didn't even try looking upstairs!

I've decided that my ritual of having dinner nearby and stopping by Tower afterwards

can now transfer to the relatively new Borders nearby - better prices, especially with coupons,

and a more comfortable atmosphere. Maybe I'm just getting old... :mellow:

Since they began the liquidation I've been to the West 4th Street store(NYC) three times. I bought stuff I wouldn't normally buy or never heard of, and I've been very pleasantly surprised with some of the discs I've picked up. I got a Bob Stewart disc(Front Line), with Stewart on tuba, Stever Turre on 'bone + shell, Kelvyn Bell on guitar, Stanton Davis on trumpet and I don't remember offhand the drummer, but the disc is very good. Lots of cool unison and harmony with the three horns, and Stewart is one helluva tuba player.

I had heard his name, but never any music by Lafayette Gilchrist, and I picked one disc of his on one trip, then I saw another last night and got that one, too. He's a bit off beat in terms of his rhythmic accents, like Monk, and he also sounds a bit different than almost anyone else around, and he's still living!(Toward the Shining Path & The Music According to Lafayette Gilchrist are the two titles)

I also picked up a disc by Rhys Chatham, "Angels Move too Fast to See", for 100 guitars, bass & drums. It's European classical/rock, and quite intriguing. I've spun it a few times and got something a bit different each time.

Edited by PHILLYQ

The following cost me $88.89:

Art Ensemble of Chicago, Fanfare for the Warriors

Albert Ayler, Spiritual Unity

Gil Evans, Out of the Cool

Jan Garbarek, Witchi Tai To

Charlie Haden, Liberation Music Orchestra

Charlie Haden & Hank Jones, Steal Away

Roy Haynes, Out of the Afternoon

Paul Shapiro, It's In the Twilight

Archie Shepp, Four for Trane

Bobo Stenson/Anders Jormin/Paul Motian, Goodbye

If I didn't have a 40 cd backlog I would have picked up at least 10 others.

Guy

The following cost me $88.89:

Art Ensemble of Chicago, Fanfare for the Warriors

Albert Ayler, Spiritual Unity

Gil Evans, Out of the Cool

Jan Garbarek, Witchi Tai To

Charlie Haden, Liberation Music Orchestra

Charlie Haden & Hank Jones, Steal Away

Roy Haynes, Out of the Afternoon

Paul Shapiro, It's In the Twilight

Archie Shepp, Four for Trane

Bobo Stenson/Anders Jormin/Paul Motian, Goodbye

If I didn't have a 40 cd backlog I would have picked up at least 10 others.

Guy

Nice haul there, Guy. :tup

@ 50% off I bought

Henry Grimes trio - Live at the Kerava Jazz festival

and

Kidd Jordan/William Parker/Hamid Drake - Palm of Soul

The Tower on South Street in Philly has already closed. The other remaining Tower in center city has little remaining in its jazz section. The classical section is gone. Ditto for world music. Rock is still pretty stocked.

Well, I spent about $600 at Tower Sunset over the past 3 weeks for a large number of items.

There are still some decent jazz items there (as of 2 days ago), including healthy numbers of Jackie McLean & Andrew Hill BNs, Coltrane Impulse. they also had at least 2 copies each of the Grachan Moncur & Dizzy Reese Mosaic Selects. And everything was now 50% off. For the Selects, the "list" price at Tower was $54, so they were charging $27. Picked up a couple of JSP boxes for $13 each.

They also have lots of the Beatles Capital Records boxes, vol. 2.

And huge quantities of various smooth jazz artists & singers. Rows of Rachelle Farrell discs, and Waymon Tisdale (or however they are spelled).

Managed to score a couple things over in the Broad Street Tower on my day off last week

40% off the following:

Gigi Gryce/Donald Byrd Lab Band - Cecil Taylor - Newport---LP style cover Verve

*looked cool and I've seen it before but never got it....Me likey!

The Three Sounds - Good Deal TOCJ

*never heard TTS before but I like the relaxed nature of the music

Birth of Hard Bop 2 cd set Hank Mobley/Donald Byrd/Lee Morgan Savoy

*NICE!

At Cherry Hill, NJ location.....50% off!!!

Booker Ervin TexBookTenor......THE SHIT!!!!!!! I can't emphasize that enough!!!

Andrew Hill Pax .... Excellent!!!

Peace