How did you take advantage of the Tower sale?

OK, I'm making assumptions here,

but it's been pretty quiet around here

this afternoon. :g

I haven't gone out there yet today,

but I've got my mind on some things

that I'm thinkin' nobody round these parts (D/FW) will touch,

so I will leave my goodie grabs later...

...but you can spread your joy here beginning today.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sad to see that both Seattle stores are goners, now I have to go to Silver Platters who are just as expensive as Tower. The closing sale is only 10% off cds -- cds that are already marked way too high. *sigh* I use to go to the Tower Records across the San Diego Sports Arena all the time growing up in Fun Diego. Another way this modern world kicks me in the butt, telling me I'm getting old... :(

A bankruptcy judge Friday approved the sale of Tower's inventory to a consortium led by liquidating firm Great American Group. Going out of business sales will begin Saturday, Great American president Andy Gumaer said. He said the sale will probably take eight to 10 weeks.

Great American paid about $134 million for Tower's inventory.

Great American barely outbid Trans World Entertainment Corp., an Albany, N.Y., retail chain, following a lengthy closed-door auction in Wilmington, Del., that began Thursday morning, went through the night and into Friday morning.

"I am deeply saddened to report to you that after a very significant 29 hour effort, Great American has outbid (Trans World) at the auction," Tower Chief Executive Joseph D'Amico said in a note to employees. "My heart goes out to each of you who have poured your hearts and souls into this great company."

Tower's Web site is being sold separately, although details weren't immediately available.

Trans World and lawyers for the major record companies argued that Trans World's bid should have been accepted, even though it fell slightly short, on the grounds that keeping the business alive would have been better for the creditors, who are owed a total of more than $200 million.

The sale ends a sad chapter in the history of Sacramento - and the music industry - closing out a company that began 46 years ago with a single store on Watt Avenue. At its peak it was a worldwide icon with 200-plus locations. But the company struggled mightily for the seven or eight years, the victim of fierce competition from the Internet and big-box merchants.

The company filed for bankruptcy Aug. 20 for the second time in two years. The company was 85 percent-owned by its bondholders, with the rest owned by the family of Tower founder Russ Solomon.

The news brought shock and sadness to current and former employees. 'I think the liquidtor purchase is the saddest result," said former corporate employee Mike Farrace.

http://www.sacbee.com/101/story/34965.html

Well, I was kinda wanting to keep this thread on topic.

We have at least one other thread talking about the liquidation,

so could we keep this about taking advantage of the sale?

Thanks a bunch...

Earlier, I was just about to go out to Tower,

but our very own kh1958 said that the sale is

only a 10% sale locally, so I'm gonna wait.

Still, we have 6 to 8 weeks to peruse the racks of stuff

and maybe come up with some bargains.

10% was enough to get me to buy 5 CDs.

Horace Silver--Tokyo Blues (I only had the LP)

A couple of OJCs--Duke Ellington, The Intimate Ellington, and Phil Woods with John Eardley, Pot Pie.

A couple of Classics--Mess Mezzrow, 1951-53, and Tiny Grimes, 1951-54.

Edited by kh1958

I looked around at the 4th & BWay store yesterday - I'll miss it because it is just a few blocks from my apartment, but 10% off their regular prices was still a worse deal than J&R. If they go to 25%, I'll do some spending.

Since I live in Jersey, 10% isn't enough for me to power up the car and pay $6 tunnel toll and gas$ to shop at Tower. Besides that, there's lot they just don't carry anymore. :rfr

I splurged on a double CD set Henri Temianka: The Parlophone Recordings, 1935-1939 . $0.99, but with the 10% off only $0.89. They have a bunch of copies of it in the cutout bin but the cases are busted up on most of them.

In case we didn't know it before, I guess it's now clear why they are going out of business: even at 10% off hardly anyone here is biting.

First I'm stocking up on apples and fig newtons. I'll bring them into the store with me ... then I'm gonna clear out the Fiona A. and Wayne N. sections. And I won't even wait for 40% off!

(Waiting for Jazzmoose's response ... :crazy: )

Edited by Late

yes i too walked into the west 4th street tower and walked out immediately because 10 percent off sucks. i was expecting more. guess i will wait a bit.

Dude there is no such place. Tower is on East 4th and Broadway. The Sun rises in the East and Sets in the West.

Just came back from their Pasadena, CA store. Didn't buy anything. All the prices have been marked up to discount the 15 to 20% mark downs. Bought stuff cheaper there before this so-called sale. I'll check in the following weeks to see when prices actually come down.

One thing though, I saw some jazz titles I hadn't seen at the store in the past.