*** Frank Zappa ***

Rooster_Ties

I love the little Zappa I have and I'm always looking to get more. Here's what I have:

Freak Out!

We're Only In It for The Money

Hot Rats

Waka Jawaka

Over-Nite Sensation

Sheik Yerbouti

Joe's Garage

So what should I get next? What do folks recommend?

I'd add to Dave Garrett's suggestions:

Bongo's Fury, Zappa in New York, The Best Band You Never Heard in Your Life, Make a Jazz Noise Here,

BUT ABOVE ALL

Roxy & Elsewhere

You deserve it and you'll love it.

FrankZappa08.jpg

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Frank Zappa does not suck. You just haven't heard the right album:

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/32818

I don't see how quoting what every Zappa fan I've ever met has told me in life counts as comedy. (though, if I ever see any of them again, I'll have to confess that they were right about Hot Rats...)

I love the little Zappa I have and I'm always looking to get more. Here's what I have:

Freak Out!

We're Only In It for The Money

Hot Rats

Waka Jawaka

Over-Nite Sensation

Sheik Yerbouti

Joe's Garage

So what should I get next? What do folks recommend?

i'd highly recommend apostrophe as the next studio album. i think of it as the flip side to "Overnite Sensation." "Tinseltown Rebellion" would also be a worthwhile port of call. It has a little of everything, comedy tunes, doo-wop, screaming guitar and intricate instrumentals. I have about 50 Zappa titles. I think that "Ship" and "Civilization" are a bit much for the Zappa novice.

"Live In New York" is also a worthy consideration.

I don't see how quoting what every Zappa fan I've ever met has told me in life counts as comedy. (though, if I ever see any of them again, I'll have to confess that they were right about Hot Rats...)

I've got to test out my new material someplace. I'm playing the Pokonos New Year's Eve, opening for Shecky Green.

I've got to test out my new material someplace. I'm playing the Pokonos New Year's Eve, opening for Shecky Green.

Posting a link to the Onion article in two different threads is a bit of a joke and Moose just doesn't know the right Zappa fans.

I mean...in other words - you guys don't seem like very happy people. The meds aren't going to do everything Moose, you have to make an effort too.

Edited by 7/4

I'm not sure if this has already been mentioned, but for the holiday I treated myself to "Zappa Plays Zappa."

All in all it think it worked on multiple levels. Once again, most aspects of Frank's music were showcased. Lesser known tunes stood there ground by those considered to be more tried and true. Steve Vai's guitar playing on Zomby Woof is 100% over the top. It is also a pleasure to see Napoleon Murphy Brock perform. He clearly enjoys this music and is, by virtue of the recorded legacy, an import part of a stellar era of Zappa.

Dweezil also is a marvel. Whereas he came on the scene as a shredder, he has woodshedded and does an exceptional job of summoning his father on the guitar. The tone, phrasing, and mannerisms are all spot on. He even uses Frank's signature SG. He never resorts to imitation though, and that is very much to his credit.

Great place to start as far as becoming acquainted with some of FZ's most enduring tunes.

Ship has has a side of catchy dumb tunes with a side of his more complex music. I love the bass on Valley Girl.

I met Scott Thunes once, and told him I really liked the interplay between him and Chad Wackerman on Valley Girl. He told me that the drum part had already been recorded, and Frank brought him in to add his bass to the track.

Great place to start as far as becoming acquainted with some of FZ's most enduring tunes.

I'd recommend genuine Frank Zappa, not Jr's cover band.

The spirit of "Jr's Cover Band" is quite admirable. Furthermore his mission in the project (besides making a comfortable living) is to introduce a new generation of fans to his music.

Some of Frank's music will be forever "dated" and therefore lack relevance to newer and younger audiences. I remember the Reagan years, Swaggart and some of the other references which permeate his final recordings. "Jr" sought to fill the band with younger players and the energy that they bring. I think that in the Spirit of all things Frank, dismissing this project is wrong.

In a bonus interview Dweezil says that some tunes (which he doesn't name) are strictly off limits. He and the band could bring nothing to them. Others he aspires to tackle. He also says that he plans on making this a yearly thing for some time to come. So ZPZ will end up being the next chapter in FZ's legacy.

I only have the DVD and have no interest in securing the audio recordings. I don't disagree that going to the source is essentially the way to go. However as a conduit for discovery and interest I think that ZPZ is to be applauded.

Seriously, check out the DVD. Frank's groups had chops, but they have nothing on this group. Dweezil really does his father's music justice!!

• 2 weeks later...

7/4, there is a very interesting essay in one of the booklets in the "Popular Electronics" set on Basta comparing Tom Dissevelt to Frank Zappa. It talks about similarities between electronic stuff on Uncle Meat and WOIIFTM that apparently sound strikingly like Dissevelt. I don't have these albums, so I can't comment (I only have a mono copy of Freak Out that rules).

7/4, there is a very interesting essay in one of the booklets in the "Popular Electronics" set on Basta comparing Tom Dissevelt to Frank Zappa. It talks about similarities between electronic stuff on Uncle Meat and WOIIFTM that apparently sound strikingly like Dissevelt. I don't have these albums, so I can't comment (I only have a mono copy of Freak Out that rules).

I'm not familiar with Dissevelt.

Tom Dissevelt & Kid Baltan - Song of the 2nd Moon - sounds like Raymond Scott.

They particularly compare Zappa's stuff to Dissevelt's "Fantasy in Orbit" album, which may have been classified as a "pop" album for marketing purposes, but which is much more along the lines of "serious" electronic works.